Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:53 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,128,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
They are not obligated to discuss it with him before they use it
Uh, no, actually they are. It's a warrant, not a subpoena. They are required to present the warrant, and are not legally permitted to take any action until the person served has read the warrant.

The only exceptions to that is if police reasonably believe someone at the residence is being physically armed, or that evidence may be destroyed, or when the warrant also includes the arrest of a person at the residence, that the individual may flee.

There are numerous instances of police forcing their way into homes, throwing the warrant at a person and then starting to ransack the residence, only to discover they were at the wrong address.

Police have killed people after serving a warrant to the wrong address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
My question is this though, do people even believe the officers were out of line? Some would argue not. Some would argue so.
Those police were way out of line, and failed in the proper execution of their duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why was it so difficult for the cops to state why they wanted him? IMO it's ego.
There's practically nothing in the way of psychological testing or evaluation.

The Cincinnati Police Department will tell you they conduct a psychological evaluation, but what they don't tell you is this is done in a group setting, with a board-certified psychologist chatting with 6-8 candidates for a less than an hour.

That is not a proper psychological evaluation. A proper evaluation would require any one of the standardized psychological tests, plus a one-on-one interview with a psychologists for at least an hour.

That's the only way to weed out those with inferiority complexes, egomaniacs, and others with bizarre views on the use of power, especially the "Do as I say, not as I do" crowd.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:55 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,111,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is there any doubt why the Police are becoming the enemy, more and more as the Police State sews up the loose ends.
No wonder they are getting randomly shot. Individual bad cops are starting a war, others are paying with their life for.
Resentment is hard to shake. Some take Liberty or Death Literally.
Sadly true. This country was founded on less offenses.

Hopefully the country can come back together on this issue that was so badly sabotaged the 1st go round.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:05 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,133,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Actually, you'd be wrong. My son graduated from the academy last year. They have just about changed everything now. Especially "force" & de-escalating so most newer cops have been trained differently than older cops.
Thats why I said ALOT of departments and not ALL.
Even if the newbies are trained to deescalate at the academy, doesnt mean the chiefs and supervisors at the departments they eventually work with will have a de-escalation policy. All the towns have different policies on lethal force. When departments put rookies with older cops, those cops teach them the old way, according to how loose the rules are from the management of the police and the town. So the academy training will likely go out the window. Its pretty difficult to make a policy for every use of force situation, and they wind up guessing until its determined that it was wrong, hence the grey areas. Prosecutors throw cases against the cops they work with for protection which is why cops dont often get convicted. Problem is people die needlessly in the process of those grey areas, and many departments ensure that their cops arent practicing inflating their egos on the road. Also many towns use their cops for revenue, so theres practices in place that train cops on how to lie to people to take advantage of them.

The videos are all over the net if you want to look, might want to show your kid. If youre willing to see the other side.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:22 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,544,544 times
Quote:
I had no issues with police until an officer (blk and I'm blk) tried to falsify a blow against me and falsely charge me with a DUI. Turned my world upside down about this supposed "justice" system.

I think its more about some citizens (not all cops are abusing people) having their rights violated and being victimized by police. Some communities have a history of it.

Just had a cousin join the force.
What put a very bad taste in my mouth with police, I was in a car years ago that police pulled over, they asked the driver for permission to search, they suspected someone had drugs in the car, the driver refused, after that, the police went to work on him, trying to scare him into giving them permission, they threatened just about everything they could, they had another cruiser come, and one of those cops was joking about how the driver must be in law school, one kept asking if we had nothing to hide, why not allow the search. I wish I had thought to record this, it was ridiculous and uncalled for.

As soon as someone refuses their search, the police should legally have to leave the scene. I think police have FAR too much authority, that really needs to change.

I also believe the job of police officer should have a 2 yr limit, meaning no one can be a police officer for more than 2 yrs. Local police should be elected or chosen by the city council, or maybe have it set up like jury duty, all people in a certain age range must serve as a police officer in their city for a 1 yr stretch.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:09 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,764,963 times
The penalty for resisting arrest is not death. The onus is on the cops to know the difference between lethal and non-lethal force. The onus is also on the cops to immediately seek medical aid as required, and yet they let the guy just die there on the scene.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,504,805 times
Quote:
Actually its being reported by multiple outlets. A quick google search would suffice that. And there was no warrant. So the police were acting outside of the law.

So what exactly do you "not know about?" You just saw a man get choked to death, who was not under arrest, and you're automatically defending the police.

Says a lot about YOU

In this case, those officers should be charged with murder. There was no excuse for killing this man. He was of no threat to them and they had no reason to even talk to him.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:19 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,446,526 times
The police obviously used excessive force, but my understanding is that they don't need a physical warrant on them to take you into custody.

If a cop pulls you over for speeding, runs your name through the computer, and finds out that you have an outstanding warrant, he doesn't have to wait for another cop to deliver the piece of paper before he can arrest you.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:27 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,111,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What put a very bad taste in my mouth with police, I was in a car years ago that police pulled over, they asked the driver for permission to search, they suspected someone had drugs in the car, the driver refused, after that, the police went to work on him, trying to scare him into giving them permission, they threatened just about everything they could, they had another cruiser come, and one of those cops was joking about how the driver must be in law school, one kept asking if we had nothing to hide, why not allow the search. I wish I had thought to record this, it was ridiculous and uncalled for.

As soon as someone refuses their search, the police should legally have to leave the scene. I think police have FAR too much authority, that really needs to change.

I also believe the job of police officer should have a 2 yr limit, meaning no one can be a police officer for more than 2 yrs. Local police should be elected or chosen by the city council, or maybe have it set up like jury duty, all people in a certain age range must serve as a police officer in their city for a 1 yr stretch.
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I agree with you. I think the Drug War has given them too much room to maneuver. IMO they should be going after violent criminals and we should be attacking addiction a different way. Remove the prohibition "criminals" the same way we did with alcohol.

I've never heard a term limit proposed. Interesting. Would probably be harder for criminals to corrupt them (the other side of the coin some "law and order" types don't think about). A police draft would definitely be a different concept. At least everyone would have some perspective.

Honestly why can't we come together and have real talks about issues anymore? I honestly don't think anybody wants to be unsafe besides criminals. How is this "justice" system stuff so hard? Maybe we've forgotten the basics about this stuff. Like if you're an adult harming no one, its not a crime. You steal/assault/kill/slander someone you caused them harm. The basics.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:30 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,116,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The police obviously used excessive force, but my understanding is that they don't need a physical warrant on them to take you into custody.

If a cop pulls you over for speeding, runs your name through the computer, and finds out that you have an outstanding warrant, he doesn't have to wait for another cop to deliver the piece of paper before he can arrest you.
You need to state why you are arresting someone to get them to comply. I'm not going to go along with them putting handcuffs on me and take me away without an expressible reason either.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,567,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Actually, you'd be wrong. My son graduated from the academy last year. They have just about changed everything now. Especially "force" & de-escalating so most newer cops have been trained differently than older cops.
How does that make Harry wrong? He's saying too many cops don't know how to handle situations properly.

You're response is to say he's wrong because new cops are trained differently than old cops???!!!

1) What do new cops have to do with what old cops are doing?
2) You do know a lot of departments don't have new cops, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies