Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 06:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It looks like a mini Dunkirk.
No shortage of commercial watercraft engaged in the evacuation. The Staten Island ferries which carry thousands were the primary lifters of the masses.

I have no recollection of seeing more than a few personal water rafts and my commuter ferry spent hours in NY harbor before proceeding to the Highlands in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I worked at 1 WTC on 9/11. All but 100 +/- people who were below the impact zones got out of the towers before the towers collapsed.

Having been there in 1993, I immediately left and headed to the East piers. The city- owned Staten Island Ferries, not-private boats, transported most of the people who attempted to evacuate out of lower Manhattan. The greatest surge came after the towers collapsed. At that point, the Air Force was providing air coverage.

Other boats included private commuter ferry boats, tug boats, Fire and Police Boats operating at both the East and West side piers. There were very few small privately- owned water craft. This was not Dunkirk.
I also was in 1 WTC. I walked to midtown hoping to walk over the GWB but ran into a friend from 82 and we walked to the river instead. The Circle Line (tour boat that gives rides around Manhattan for those who aren't familiar) took us across.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:22 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
There were not thousands and thousands celebrating.

I lived in NJ at the time. When my commuter ferry finally reached the Highlands, some people on shore cheered. My perception was they were cheering survival.
This is correct. While I know from a Muslim coworker who confronted them that there was some celebrating in the Palestinian community in Paterson, NJ, it was kept contained and only existed in small pockets. There were no "thousands and thousands" of people cheering in Jersey City. You don't think someone would have noticed this?

Old 08-06-2018, 08:30 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Some places crumble while others rise to the challenge. I have mad respect for the way the City of New York handled that crisis, and how the citizens of this country and the world came together for a while. It was a very scary time. Young people have no idea what it felt like after being attacked like that, and watching it in real time (or living it as the citizens of NYC and DC did).
As we saw post Harvey, I think a number of people in our metro aren't too shabby either re crisis response .

Old 08-06-2018, 01:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
No shortage of commercial watercraft engaged in the evacuation. The Staten Island ferries which carry thousands were the primary lifters of the masses.

I have no recollection of seeing more than a few personal water rafts and my commuter ferry spent hours in NY harbor before proceeding to the Highlands in NJ.
Do you think the OP's video clip overplayed the importance of private individuals helping out?

Old 08-06-2018, 03:00 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
So back on topic:

A lot of people believe that the citizens of NYC are cold, callous, and uncaring. What 9/11 did is show that when the shtf, the citizens of NYC are caring, empathetic, and helpful.

In our day to day lives, people might not always think of others, they might be ruthless in some ways towards their quest to reach their goals, but when it gets serious, most people will do the right thing. NYC proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. I've never looked at NYC people the same after 9/11. I may not understand everything about them, but I do know that when they were on the world stage, they proved that they are good people underneath it all, and that's what matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies