Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 06:31 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Is it true that Ontario politics steers the Canadian ship of state? There is always the Quebec thing and the Alberta thing, but my impression of Ontario is that it's like if New York state had 1/3 the economy of the USA and dominated everywhere else.
62% of population of Canada live in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec - 38% in Ontario and 23% in Quebec - so federal politicians do care a lot about how those residents will vote in federal elections. Ontario politicians don’t dictate federal policy though. Why would they?

Only a tiny number of Canadians belong to a political party. It’s not uncommon for someone to vote for one party in a provincial election and for another party in a federal election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Heads up for Canada - Breaking News this evening.

I have no idea what Canada has done to get kicked out of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia -- but it's serious business.

https://twitter.com/KSAmofaEN/status...42184222318593

NAFTA negotiations are rarely covered in the American press. Way too complicated for them I guess - and not much interest. No Stormy, No Russia, No Racist, no ..... whatever the Outrage of the Day is.

However - Bi-Lateral NAFTA talks have been on going between Mexico and the USA.
Canada was not invited - they have refuse to talk to the USA since May, although they DO come to Washington to regularly strageyigise with the Democratic Leadership that has no control or input into NAFTA.

According to Reuters:
Canada 'very keen' on wrapping up year-old NAFTA talks|Reuters - Saturday, August 4, 2018

(Reuters) - Canada is "very keen" on concluding negotiations to renew the North American Free Trade Agreement as soon as possible, Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said on Saturday, amid signs of progress after months of delays.

A few might remember a very short lived post last week about Mexico & the USA holding several Bi-Laterial Meetings on trade and Canada was excluded. Freeland has refused to meet with the US Negotiators since May 2018. Now they won't even take her calls.

This is the Canadian Negotiating Team - not a single one of them has a clue about business - Freeland is the gal in the purple

Old 08-05-2018, 07:16 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Thanks for sharing - what is your gut feeling about what is happening with the coming elections.
I expect I would pay more attention to Canadian Politics if I lived up North. I'm pretty up to date with Foreign Politics in several Countries but anyone who is interested has to follow it regularly (no less than weekly) to even keep up with the players. It's all I can do to keep up with the Mid-East, Turkey and Iran.

Smaller parties always have a problem getting started - they essentially need the larger parties to really, really drop the ball and mess up big time ..... sounds like that is what is going on from what I've read in the business news. IF I understand it correctly - local elections are taking place this year and then Leadership Elections next year. I'm sure I labeled them incorrectly, but you should know what I mean.

Sounds like Canadian Politics are in flux and will be heating up from what I've read.
The NAFTA thing is a big deal and will get bigger. None of it is looking good.
NAFTA is the elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about...it's scary as hell. If Trump goes through with the auto tarrifs there will be huge job losses in the auto sector.

Politics here has always been very volatile, people are used to big changes in government. As far as the upcoming federal election the Libs have a comfortable lead due to Trudeau's star power. They took a big hit early on because they flubbed it with electoral reform which was one of their main platform issues. They gave the file to a very inexperienced minister who just made a huge mess of it. Of course they spent millions of taxpayer dollars in the process.

It's the same here as everywhere, people have very short memories and tend to focus on what the weather will be like at the cottage.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
A few might remember a very short lived post last week about Mexico & the USA holding several Bi-Laterial Meetings on trade and Canada was excluded. Freeland has refused to meet with the US Negotiators since May 2018. Now they won't even take her calls.
So you lie in one thread his morning. I post, proving you lied. So you go to another thread (this thread) and repeat the lie and add another lie to it. I’m not surprised.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/52706276-post23.html

Oh, and here’s another article dated June 14: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/free...mmer-1.3973390

Quote:
Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland says work on renegotiating NAFTA will continue over the summer, following a meeting in D.C. with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer.

Speaking with reporters on her way out of the hour-long discussion with her American counterpart, Freeland said the main topics on the table were finding a path forward on NAFTA, and the levelling of tariffs exchanged between the two countries.
Freeland has a hour long in-person meeting with Lighthizer in June. According to you, there couldn’t have been a meeting.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
A meeting between 2 people does equate to a NAFTA Negotiation.

Are you saying Reuters Lied?
are you saying the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia LIED?

The facts of the matter are that Mexico and the US NAFTA TEAM have had 2 meetings and Canada was not invited.
I posted the News Articles - I don’t make this stiff up.

I also don’t care whether you believe it or not -it happened and was reported by the Associated Press and Reuters.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
A meeting between 2 people does equate to a NAFTA Negotiation.

Are you saying Reuters Lied?
are you saying the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia LIED?

The facts of the matter are that Mexico and the US NAFTA TEAM have had 2 meetings and Canada was not invited.
I posted the News Articles - I don’t make this stiff up.

I also don’t care whether you believe it or not -it happened and was reported by the Associated Press and Reuters.
I read your Reuters link. The article does not say that Canada refused to meet with U.S. negotiators since May. It also does not say that U.S. negotiators refused to take Freeland calls. I don’t know why you are making those false claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies