Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 08:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Why isn't something being done about this? Where is the National Guard? They can't declare martial law and put an end to this? Too many innocent kids have been getting shot and killed and nobody cares. Disgusting.
National Guard?

Only the Governoror POTUS can call in the NG. Thus far, the Governor has declined, saying it would exacerbate the situation.

This is not a riot in the streets with looting and property destruction. The NG does not have Police Powers.

Guess one could put a NG on every corner in the violent neighborhoods. What happens when they depart?

CPD works with the FBI. There’s a code, a wall of silence on the street. Victims who survive don’t talk. They don’t show in court to testify. They cover or are fearful of retaliation. You talk and your kids are at greater risk of being targeted and shot.

In 2013, Hadiya Pendleton was shot and killed in a park along with 2 friends. This happened in the afternoon. Pendleton did not survive. Witnesses identified the car which eventually led to the arrest of two young adults with long track records and gang affiliations.

The way the story goes, the shooter/ driver had engaged in retaliation for 3 years prior and made the decision “ everyone had to go”. Pendleton was not a target- she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. How many others were shot in the prior years is unknown.

Families of the alleged shooter and driver have done the “ good boy” thing and say they were getting their lives back on track, blah, blah, blah.

Does the state have enough evidence to achieve convictions? Who knows?

Old 08-11-2018, 10:55 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Police brutality and Black on Black violence are two different issues. BLM is about police brutality. This is why I don't expect BLM to talk about Black on Black violence. Those that do protest against Black on Black violence, who actually do care, they do not get much recognition. I don't expect Whoopi to talk about it. I don't watch The View either.
This is an honest direct and enlightening post
Most people like me are mislead by the name BLM
That is not the intention of the group at all
It’s point is to address anger and resentment of perceived and real police abuse and lack of respect for the community
Not about preserving and respecting human life in the community
Like the view and Whoopi -it is not about protection -it’s challenging the sop of law enforcement both on a local and national level

Old 08-11-2018, 03:56 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Police brutality and Black on Black violence are two different issues. BLM is about police brutality. This is why I don't expect BLM to talk about Black on Black violence. Those that do protest against Black on Black violence, who actually do care, they do not get much recognition. I don't expect Whoopi to talk about it. I don't watch The View either.
You're being disingenuous.
BLM stands for Black Lives Matter.
They either matter to everyone or they don't.
I think it's perfectly acceptable to have a protest movement about police killing black people ( and sometimes it's black police officers doing the killing ) .
But to suggest that movement shouldn't concern itself with black people killing other black people is a cop-out.
And you know that.
There comes a point when black people should stop avoiding the truth about the tsunami of other dead black people occupying morgues across America's inner cities.
If they don't care how do you expect non- blacks to care ?

Old 08-11-2018, 04:12 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
This is an honest direct and enlightening post
Most people like me are mislead by the name BLM
That is not the intention of the group at all
It’s point is to address anger and resentment of perceived and real police abuse and lack of respect for the community
Not about preserving and respecting human life in the community
Like the view and Whoopi -it is not about protection -it’s challenging the sop of law enforcement both on a local and national level
This has been the point I've been trying to get across. It was a response to the issues regarding abuse of power. In its own way, that is about preserving and respecting human life.

This does not mean there aren't concerns about Black on Black violence.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:03 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
20 more were shot last night.

"20 Shot Overnight In Chicago: "I’m Scared To Walk To The Corner Store"

Where is Rahm? Where are the Democrats bleating about Russians? Hiding from this of course.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
20 more were shot last night.

"20 Shot Overnight In Chicago: "I’m Scared To Walk To The Corner Store"

Where is Rahm? Where are the Democrats bleating about Russians? Hiding from this of course.
Rahm is sitting safely in his home on Hermitage Avenue.

I wonder if people know that even Rahm's son was robbed and beaten up on the block where they live a few years ago. Another robbery took place in the same neighborhood and in a separate incident a woman was attacked with bleach during a robbery about three blocks away around the same time.

So you see, the crime bleeds over into his own neighborhood and a family member is a victim and you still don't see him making any changes even though what they've been doing doesn't seem to work.

In Chicago a person is shot every 2:52 and a person is murdered every 14:48. How about that for chilling numbers?

Old 08-11-2018, 06:38 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
"We need more gun control" The left

Old 08-11-2018, 06:39 PM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:

This has been the point I've been trying to get across. It was a response to the issues regarding abuse of power. In its own way, that is about preserving and respecting human life.

Concerns?

Yeah, I'd say the outrage is a little bit misplaced when the elephant in the room is all the crime that is being committed.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:23 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Concerns?

Yeah, I'd say the outrage is a little bit misplaced when the elephant in the room is all the crime that is being committed.
Aren't you curious .... Why The Donald has been quite on it? The far right wants to highlight, what lib policies do to cities. But yet Trump has been silent since he first mentioned sending in the Feds ..... months ago. Then downplayed it to -- if asked by the city/state?

Any political publications suggesting he is making plans to?

Old 08-11-2018, 09:03 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:

If shooting innocent people dead isn't "an abuse of power," I don't know what is.

The group is embarrassing and counterproductive. They produce a ton more racial hostility than they remedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies