Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
your elected official did it for you
Not mine.

Quote:
the people are paying for wars and a whole host of underfunded welfare schemes through inflation (money creation) Did you think the military industrial complex ran on helium?
No, it runs on the backs of future generations.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,355 times
Quote:
Its not "help" when the money is stolen
taxes are theft
The robbers just told you the money they took from you was to help and you believed them.
Taxes mean to be able to live in a civilized society, nothing to do with theft. It's a tacit contract between the government and the people to have a better life for all.

It DOES help.

Imagine... We even have a law that assures illegals free healthcare (and no, not with the myth of huge waiting lists, at least in France, I don't know precisely about other countries)

It's a bit like a potluck meeting Everyone brings what they have and everyone one day or another might or will need it eventually (notably, the elderlies which was the original OP)

Old 08-09-2018, 06:07 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not mine.
So we're told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, it runs on the backs of future generations.
Then you dont understand our banking system. Are military contractors and soldiers paid with IOU's?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Sounds like europeans dont trust themselves to manage their own affairs.
I would disagree, based on my previous points. We manage our own affairs quite well since we can all agree, more or less, on a system that works for all ;-)

But of course, we also have the super rich who think it's not fair. Bahhhh.... they get over it. It's a right system for 98% of the population, that's what matters.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:09 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
I wasn't talking about VAT.
You were talking about national tax. VAT is a national tax. In France, VAT is 20%.

Quote:
We have a system where from the salary your employer gives you is taken unemployment tax, social security taxes, etc. It amounts to about a third.

Then once a year (though payable in three trimesters), we are taxed on our whole income and properties.

But thanks for correcting me, it's not 50% who don't pay these national taxes, it's more like 60%.
60% of France's population earns less than the equivalent of $11,365? Do you have a citation for that?

The only source I was able to find lists it at 54%. So, 54% of French workers earn less than $11,365. That doesn't sound so desirable.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20160412/rec...g-income-taxes

Old 08-09-2018, 06:10 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:

Then you dont understand our banking system. Are military contractors and soldiers paid with IOU's?
Basically, yes.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You were talking about national tax. VAT is a national tax. In France, VAT is 20%.

60% of France's population earns less than the equivalent of $11,365? Do you have a citation for that?

The only source I was able to find lists it at 54%. So, 54% of French workers earn less than $11,365. That doesn't sound so desirable.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20160412/rec...g-income-taxes
Okay, maybe I'm not expressing myself so well, don't forget english isn't my native language ;-)

VAT is the tax on produce or services one purchases, right?

I'm talking about an annual tax on all your income and properties (different of the ones your employer automatically deducts from your salary every month for unemplyment, retirement, social security, healthcare, etc).

Am I clearer now?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:14 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
In direct contrast, according to the most recently published IRS data, 50% of US workers earn less than $39,275. That's a pretty big difference. Why are salaries in France so low?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:15 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Taxes mean to be able to live in a civilized society, nothing to do with theft. It's a tacit contract between the government and the people to have a better life for all.
"tacit contract" =pay me xxx or off to jail you go! That is no agreement, its extortion. Sound civilized?
Quote:
It DOES help.
The victim, the robber or the recipient of the stolen loot?
Quote:
Imagine... We even have a law that assures illegals free healthcare (and no, not with the myth of huge waiting lists, at least in France, I don't know precisely about other countries)
Do your doctors and healthcare professionals work for free? They do not, you're being robbed to pay them as well. Luckily for the "illegals" they get the healthcare without the robbery.
Quote:
It's a bit like a potluck meeting Everyone brings what they have and everyone one day or another might or will need it (notably, the elderlies which was the original OP)
Its nothing like that. You are not forced to attend a pot luck

Old 08-09-2018, 06:17 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Even if you save, a major disease can wipe it all out. Half of all men, and 1/3 of all women will get cancer in their life time, and it is more likely as you get older. Even with insurance coverage, cancer treatments can destroy your savings rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies