Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 07:22 AM

15,050 posts, read 10,033,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The NN policies would not have prevented this.
And yet... The dailystormer still exists... Simply moved to another registrar and another provider. Heck.. Current administration took government action in the form of SESTA FOSTA and the sites moved to registrars and providers overseas with no extradition arrangements with the US... Causing even more problems.

I don't think providers and registrars are as concentrated nor few as you assume. ISPs on the other hand should absolutely be treated as public utility as there truly is no alternative.

A conservative government literally controlled content on sites AND did so through legislature and removed legislation that would have provided fair treatment of internet traffic. From where I sit, this sounds more far Left liberal measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:33 AM

15,050 posts, read 10,033,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

The only thing I can say is if companies going forward continue to dump companies, it is through a clearly defined matter. Stormer got it for lampooning the girl who got ran over at Charlottesville using sedual slurs and other obscene language about a girl not even.in the grave yet. Alex Jones on the other hand was finally banned after years of racially charged hate speech, PizzaGate and shaming the parents of the Sandy Hook victims as crisis actors. Both abused free speech, which according to terms of use isn't. Just look at City-Data, you can post some nasty things about people in the public eye, but not posters. You do that, you get modded, if not banned.

There are still alot of controversial topics hosted on youtube and cloudflare. Claiming that there is picking and choosing without accepting that real abuses of free speech (thus violations of TOS) done before content providers got dumped is simply being ignorant.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
And yet... The dailystormer still exists... Simply moved to another registrar and another provider. Heck.. Current administration took government action in the form of SESTA FOSTA and the sites moved to registrars and providers overseas with no extradition arrangements with the US... Causing even more problems.

I don't think providers and registrars are as concentrated nor few as you assume. ISPs on the other hand should absolutely be treated as public utility as there truly is no alternative.

A conservative government literally controlled content on sites AND did so through legislature and removed legislation that would have provided fair treatment of internet traffic. From where I sit, this sounds more far Left liberal measures.
I disagree, conservatives act like liberals do all the time, it is just defended like many did with FOSTA. "Oh it shuts down human sex trafficking and prostitution." Well on that platform, they'll go back to the allies or Nevada.

As for the red text, you're totally right, especially through being localized monopolies where you have maybe one other choice in the matter.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,671,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My comments were merged from a much smaller topic about how Alex Jones channel getting dropped from Youtube illustrated the importance of Net Neutrality. Jones can move his videos to his own server. However without NN it's only a matter of time before the ISP's start to see pressure to block access to these sites. Without NN in place they could block his site but that will inevitably spur a court case.

The specific comments you are replying to are the other side of the coin for critical internet services like domain registrations. If the small amount companies that handle this service all decide they will not issue you a domain registration there is no amount of money that will fix this. There is lot of power concentrated into the hands of few companies on the internet which effectively could allow them to decide who gets to be on the internet. In the case of Cloudflare, one person.

I'd suggest reading the comments from Cloudflare's CEO who was instrumental in booting The Daily Stormer off the internet.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/why-we-t...daily-stormer/

Here is snippet from internal email:

The NN policies would not have prevented this.
All true. My point is simply that objecting to YT’s decision raises the question of what, if anything, should be done about it. I support NN, and I could be persuaded to support regulating the “internet†as a public utility. But as long as the “internet†(in quotes because the internet is designed to be not just one thing) is a free market, companies are free to do what they want in this regard. And many non-internet businesses will support them, to say nothing of all the internet users who don’t want a regulated internet. Which would include Alex Jones himself. Except of course when it is his ox being gored by the lack of any mechanism that would oblige YT to keep on “publishing†IW content.

So, do you or do you not support government regulation of the internet? And what kind of regulation?

Old 08-10-2018, 08:59 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
While I never cared for Alex Jones seems this removal from YouTube is nothing more then political because a few quick searches on YouTube I can find same old pro nazi channels and holocaust denier videos which have been there for years.

It has made his popularity and reach EXPLODE!

People that have never heard of the guy, now know and because Jones and INFOwars is now "taboo"......... Guess what?
Everyone wants to see what the big deal is about him...... RED PILLED the uninfluenced, immediately!!!! = BACKFIRE!!!!!!!.

#1 News app for 3 days straight.
Yesterday, he had over 26 million unique viewers and listeners, worldwide.

Social media just Red Pilled, Gen Z and the other 1/2 of everyone else that had no clue who he is.

https://www.infowars.com/watch-alex-jones-show/

Old 08-10-2018, 09:08 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,563,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

People that have never heard of the guy, now know and because Jones and INFOwars is now "taboo"......... Guess what?
Everyone wants to see what the big deal is about him...... RED PILLED the uninfluenced, immediately!!!! = BACKFIRE!!!!!!!.

Social media just Red Pilled, Gen Z and the other 1/2 of everyone else that had no clue who he is.

Good, so does that mean you will finally stop posting misinformation about this topic and all of the irrelevant things that you apparently don't understand (net neutrality, 230, public v. publicly traded entities, etc.) you've raised in the course of doing so?

Old 08-10-2018, 09:12 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,563,902 times
Quote:
Do you know the difference in an editor editing and an editor retracting. Both done by publishers, not content providers, that are immune.
Guess what - you just had an insulting post you directed at Ohiogirl81 removed by the C-D mods because it violated the TOS. Do you think that makes City-Data a "publisher" under 230 that now renders them liable for all of the content on this forum?

Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,146,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hypocritical?

The same people who say that a corporation should be able to censor behavior are the ones who say the NFL should not be able to stop the knee benders.

Go to that topic and look at the same people who do a 100% U-Turn on the issue when it's against a leftist cause.

It the same old hypocritical double standard by the leftists.
On the contrary. I think plenty of people think that the NFL owners themselves should be allowed to make employment conditional on a variety of things, as long as all of those things are legal and part of those detailed contracts that players sign.

What people do NOT think is okay is for a President to try to bully the NFL owners into taking a particular stance, because he's the president. Certainly, he could encourage a company in some way, but he's been barking orders at them like he owns the entire NFL.

Never mind that players kneeling or not has ZERO to do with any sort of federal laws.

Corporations can censor behavior all day long as long as it doesn't violate anyone's civil rights.

The government cannot censor free speech. So, if YouTube was a government entity, Alex Jones should still be on there, spouting his usual garbage. And I would defend his right to do so.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:41 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,236,909 times
Quote:

Do you have stats from a third party. Not that infowars isn't a credible reporting agency...

Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,146,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
While I never cared for Alex Jones seems this removal from YouTube is nothing more then political because a few quick searches on YouTube I can find same old pro nazi channels and holocaust denier videos which have been there for years.
So... sounds like it wasn't political at all and was, instead, because he repeatedly violated their TOS and they got sick of it and banned him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies