Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'm not a fan of Alex Jones. I don't know how to take the guy. Is he a raving conspiracy theorist or is it a satirical act of some kind? I do like Paul Joseph Watson though.

But if you happen to firmly believe that Alex Jones is a conspiracy nut, THIS WAS EXACTLY THE WRONG MOVE TO MAKE. Look at the name of his brand: Info Wars. Jones believes he is in a literal war fighting to tell the truth to the world. He thinks that the establishment is absolutely desperate to shut him up and stop him from telling the truth.

Facebook, Youtube and Apple just gave Alex Jones everything he ever wanted or dreamed of. They just acted in unison attempting to shut him up, effectively proving him right. Jones doesn't even have to say, "See I told you so! They're conspiring to silence us!!" But you know he will say that. And now, how many people do you think will flock to alternate sites like Bitchute, Daily Motion and Minds to see what these mega-companies so desperately want to hide? The Streisand Effect is about to blow up in their collective faces.

Why is the corporate Left so insanely stupid?
This only makes him look like a winner to his followers. Who already thought he was right to begin with.

So, now these corporations do not have to keep hosting his conspiracy theory nutjob crap.

I see no problem with it.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
And everything he ever said just gained a TON of unearned credibility. That's what makes this all so idiotic.

The Left has fallen into a weird place where they're just sure that shutting up the opposition by any underhanded means necessary, and violently if necessary, will make them look good. It's making them look terrible! And this does remove all doubt that Facebook, Apple and YouTube are firmly under the control of the political Left.

We may be rapidly approaching a place where the 1st Amendment will need to be expanded to apply to Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Apple and all other social media. If these are the means through which Americans are communicating, then free speech absolutism probably needs to be expanded to them as well. It'd also save these companies millions of dollars not having to police their sites for politically incorrect material.
Why does "the right" sound more and more like a bunch of communists?

On the one hand, there's applause over the idea that people don't have to serve black people or gay people, AS GROUPS, not at individuals.

On the other, there's an outcry to FORCE social media companies created by private citizens and not owned by the government to host content.

Whacky.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Youtube, Facebook and Twitter have Monopolized Free Speech on the internet.
They work directly with Leftwing media.

CNN, the leaders in Fake News, are lobbying INFOwars to be shutdown for being Fake News.
CNN actually regularly broadcasts REAL news. Fact-based, actual news.

Infowars regularly broadcasts fictional conspiracy theories intended to get listeners to buy products Jones sells at inflated prices. It's a marketing vehicle. Nothing more.

That's the truth. Even though you don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, it isn't libel.

For it to be libel, the speaker/writer has to KNOW WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ISN'T TRUE.

That's why Jones himself isn't guilty of libel. Because he lives in an alternative conspiracy universe and he believes what he's spouting.
I don't think Jones believes this stuff. It's marketing. He wants to sell his products. And the conspiracy theories are marketing.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm totally against people who dictate what their neighbors can and cannot do, always have been. If someone wants to hang a fricken Christmas wreath on their door, that should NEVER be a neighbor's business. Same with a Confederate flag. Or a garden in their front yard. If someone wants to do that on their property, that's their business.

I always laugh at people who say, "I was forced to look at...." No, you weren't. Your head turns by using the stump beneath it called a "neck". You could move. There are choices.

Murder is already a crime. Abuse of a corpse is already a crime. Hanging a wreath on your door is not a crime. If the city allows a mink, hog, and turkey farm, then it's not a crime no matter what the neighbor thinks.

Violation of free speech is not allowed. Alex Jones' rights to free speech are NOT being violated here. Again, he has his own website, he can go to Gab, he can go to Minds, he can go to plenty of other platforms if they will accept him. He is not entitled to use any platform, he does not have the 'right' to use any platform, and a company does not have to host someone that violates their TOS.

It would be like saying that City Data has to accept every thing written because it violates our free speech. No, it doesn't. I've been put on time out enough times to think about what I've done - did you see me crying about it? Did I bleat that my rights were being infringed? If someone is banned from City Data, is that a violation of their free speech? No, it's not. City Data is ALSO a platform, a private business, and does not have to allow what they don't want, they have the right to ban, they have the right to censor, they have the right to put people in temp time outs.

All it will take is for a few bigger, well known names to migrate from Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and get their followers to start using those other platforms for the likes of Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to lose popularity.
To the bolded... you know there are plenty of people on here who think that their rights are being violated if they are censored, right?

Note: I have also had my posts deleted here... and I am totally okay with it. I don't own this site.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,817 times
I wonder if Snopes will debunk that tweet about Apple, Google and Facebook?
https://twitter.com/GrantJKidney/sta...57617190195200

Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You want to see the left lose(loose, for the haters) their collective ****?
Pull Youtube, Facebook & Twitter completely from the internet. In a matter of seconds.
You know Facebook has gone down a few times, right?

I did not notice a panic more from liberals than from conservatives over it any time it happened.

LOL.

Who is going to "pull" these private corporations off the internet, anyway? Comrade Trumpski?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:48 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
I'm assuming all the people here crying for poor old Alex Jones were also vigorous defenders of net neutrality too? Couldn't be even slightly hypocritical at all, right?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:49 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
I wonder if Snopes will debunk that tweet about Apple, Google and Facebook?
https://twitter.com/GrantJKidney/sta...57617190195200
Is there some sort of article to go along with this with further proof? I can tweet whatever I want (within TOS framework), but it doesn't make it true.p

Old 08-07-2018, 08:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You know Facebook has gone down a few times, right?

I did not notice a panic more from liberals than from conservatives over it any time it happened.

LOL.

Who is going to "pull" these private corporations off the internet, anyway? Comrade Trumpski?

When defaming doesn't work, there is always silence.
Authoritarian, much?

They thought McCarthyism was bad.... Just wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies