Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 02:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
John McCain, Colin Powell, Allen West, Bush, horrible example.

Many members of Congress and politicians are, yup you guessed it, veterans.

Wow serving your country isn’t so bad after all now is it?

I think it's great to serve your country! I specifically mentioned wealthy Republican politicians, maybe I wasn't clear, sending their own kids and grandchildren. My husband is a huge fan of Colin Powell, hubby served in the Gulf War so... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
You mean pogue?
Pog= behind the wire, desk jobs, etc.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:22 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I should have been more specific. By bowing down I mean those who worship the military and those who serve, believing that a someone who serves or who served should get special treatment at all times. Ignoring anything bad the military or someone in the military does. That is what I mean by bowing down.
Life would be better without that chip on your shoulder, bud.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:45 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
People in the military tend to be right leaning politically.

Is that the truth or do you have a differing opinion on people that have or are serving?

Thanks
exit polls say active duty is slightly more Democratic. Veterans are more Republican

Old 08-10-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
In my families experience, the military is one of the few places where race is not a major factor. They don't put up with the nonsense of racism/bigotry, segregation, etc.
Nor you can walk around with a racial chip on your shoulder.

Most of the black people and almost every brown person we have known in a military capacity is at least moderate, if not conservative. So while the one person said 2/3 vs. 1/3, I'd say it is even higher, likely 3/4 or more right to moderate, vs. liberal.
The military makes you think with logical and be pragmatic, You learn to overcome obstacles, not be stopped by them.
Adaptation is another, along with learning how to improvise, all more "can do", instead of "cant do".

This is not to say liberals cannot succeed in such environments, but learning the aforementioned tends to change naive theory with practical applications to see the world how it really is, not how you wish it to be.
Lastly, it tends to mature those who otherwise might be a basement dweller at their parents house.

`
Liberalism is far more inline with the military than Conservatism is. Using the very example in your argument. You arent allowed to discriminate in the military , but conservatism argues that you should be able to.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What exactly is "bow down to the military?" saying a lousy "thank you for your service" ?

vote against themselves on a regular basis? you mean they should vote for the party who radically changed the rules of engagement?
The answer to the bold are those people who seem to think that a military person's opinion is the only one that matters.

they think service puts you above others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Life would be better without that chip on your shoulder, bud.
Why do you view it as having a chip on your shoulder just because the other poster notices that some people have military fetishes ?

Last edited by dsjj251; 08-10-2018 at 04:03 AM..

Old 08-10-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Liberals don't know what "wasteful" defense spending is, that's the problem. They claim to want to cut military spending by huge percentages and then fail to provide any reasoning as to why or how that would actually work. There are people who study defense as their full-time jobs... people with PhDs, people who have committed their entire careers to studying the threats that face this country and not a single one of them believes that we should make significant cuts to defense.
Not a single one ? You may disagree with the people with PhDs that argue for defense cuts, but they certainly exist.

Quote:
As for your comment regarding "forced patriotism", it is hard to commit your life to your country if you do not believe in your country, and do not feel patriotic for it. Patriotism and discipline are integral to military life as they are necessary for cohesiveness and efficiency.
No, he isnt talking about military service. He is talking about people claiming you must stand for the anthem, yell USA every 15 minutes, and wear a flag as a toga to prove you love your country.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:07 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Pog= behind the wire, desk jobs, etc.
Actually POG is a kids game...POGUE is what you're trying to say...learn the words you use.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:11 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Most 19-20 year olds I have known couldn't care less about right or left.
Most 19-20 year olds don't have the gumption to join the military either!
...or move out of their parents basement
or get a job
or....list any number of other sad things young people seem to have an aversion to.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
People in the military tend to be right leaning politically.

Is that the truth or do you have a differing opinion on people that have or are serving?

Thanks

"People in the military tend to be right leaning politically. "

I really detest people making such "wide brush" generality claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies