Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 02:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And you believe they are on the endangered species list in the US because of aquariums capturing them over 40 years ago. And that is why aquariums dont go out and capture them now?
During the 60s and 70s, around 70 orcas were taken from the Pacific Ocean, 47 were killed in the process. You don't think that did any harm to their numbers in the wild? Congress passed an act in the 70s protecting them after one pod had 6 captured, and another 5 killed.

Even after that, sea world had a permit to continue catching more healthy orcas from the pacific. Their permit was taken away after it was discovered they were using explosives on the pods.

So yeah, the only reason they aren't taking healthy animals out of the ocean any more is because they are not allowed to. If no one stopped them, they would still be doing so. That is until their weren't any left to take from the oceans.

Snohomish County News | Since first orca capture, views have changed | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 02:38 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Many animal species would be extinct if not in captivity. In most cases it was man that depleted them to that point but still, it does work.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Does this mean that Johnson does not get Bill Maher's endorsement in 2020?

Old 08-10-2018, 06:53 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Not sure about the seal, but the Orca defiantly looks happier in the ocean then swimming around a bathtub.
Until the hunters arrive ...

Old 08-10-2018, 08:17 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Given a POTUS who thinks asbestos is perfectly safe and that CA diverts water to the Pacific I'd say the administration already qualifies for the title.
And our other option was the Wicked Witch of Washington. 2016 was the biggest joke of an election in the history of our country.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:25 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I've gone back and forth over the ideas of zoo's and other captive places for animals. Ultimately I think it's a wash for the animals, as long as they are treated kindly. I have no good thoughts for people who are cruel to animals whether in a zoo,a circus or in their own homes. The animals may not be alive otherwise, and it allows people so experience some of the grand and interesting beasts on the planet that they would otherwise never see so I'm ok with things like this, as long as they are cared for.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've gone back and forth over the ideas of zoo's and other captive places for animals. Ultimately I think it's a wash for the animals, as long as they are treated kindly. I have no good thoughts for people who are cruel to animals whether in a zoo,a circus or in their own homes. The animals may not be alive otherwise, and it allows people so experience some of the grand and interesting beasts on the planet that they would otherwise never see so I'm ok with things like this, as long as they are cared for.
I grew up watching "Born Free" when that aired and was an avid watcher of "The Animal Kingdom" back in the day ... the other day I saw on the news where there is a problem with poachers and the Asian Elephant. They are killing them for the skin and selling it on the black market. If this keeps up soon the rare animal will be a non existent one.

I'd like to say all zoos are great but we know the logic in that idea. Even though there are those that are run by responsible adults with the animal's rights in mind, there are those that exploit and mistreat animals, as well.

I'd like to say all animals should live free and while I know that's right, then I think of the poachers ... when I think all animals should be housed, I think of poorly run zoos.

With people there is no right answer ...

"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth." That would be the animals without man around to mess up their freedom.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:00 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I grew up watching "Born Free" when that aired and was an avid watcher of "The Animal Kingdom" back in the day ... the other day I saw on the news where there is a problem with poachers and the Asian Elephant. They are killing them for the skin and selling it on the black market. If this keeps up soon the rare animal will be a non existent one.

I'd like to say all zoos are great but we know the logic in that idea. Even though there are those that are run by responsible adults with the animal's rights in mind, there are those that exploit and mistreat animals, as well.

I'd like to say all animals should live free and while I know that's right, then I think of the poachers ... when I think all animals should be housed, I think of poorly run zoos.

With people there is no right answer ...

"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth." That would be the animals without man around to mess up their freedom.
We should make it illegal to own dogs then...…...they also should "run free"

Old 08-10-2018, 09:06 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You knew someone was going to be upset about it.
No, actually I did not know that being upset with people for taking their family to an aquarium was a thing now.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
We should make it illegal to own dogs then...…...they also should "run free"
Like they were born to do?

Quote:
Recent molecular evidence shows that dogs are descended from the gray wolf, domesticated about 130,000 years ago. But if they all share a common ancestor, why do toy poodles and Great Danes seem to have little in common? Years of selective breeding by humans has resulted in the artificial "evolution" of dogs into many different types.
Man always inserts themselves into nature ... thus the reason dogs can not run free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies