Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:51 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,570,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
That tweet was WAAAY over the top -- I'm guessing the young men that did that are not "comfortable" tonight. The entire thing is "surprising" .... I've studied these folks for a long time.

This whole thing is pretty unusual - as is the other Arab Nations backing the KSA actions.
Typically they do some sort of 'insult' thing like refuse to see a delegation or let the US Secretary of State wait and then refuse an audience (they did this to Hillary Clinton).

It's rare to immediately expel displomats (24 hours to leave the Country) - stop flights, stop trade and pull Saudi Students (16,000 of them) immediately out of a Country.

OK - turns out those students were going to be reporting to school in 2 weeks - so it's a cancellation - not pulling them out.
Yeah, it tells me they’re scared that things are getting out of control at home. Next thing you know, women might become seen as more than chattel. They might even get the right to wear a hijab instead of a full burka. They’re supposed to be driving soon, and we know that’s not very safe in a burka.

What was the spat for? For the Canadians criticizing a woman getting punished for activism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 11:04 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, it tells me they’re scared that things are getting out of control at home. Next thing you know, women might become seen as more than chattel. They might even get the right to wear a hijab instead of a full burka. They’re supposed to be driving soon, and we know that’s not very safe in a burka.

What was the spat for? For the Canadians criticizing a woman getting punished for activism.
Worse - it was the FEMALE Foreign Minister of Canada publicly criticizing Saudi Arabia. I guess that made it particularly galling to the Saudis.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:03 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not a yuge fan of Canada but if they go to war with Saudi Arabia then I might just enlist as a mercenary. Saudi Arabia was almost certainly involved in 9/11 and retaliation is long overdue.
Should have let Sadaam Roll over them.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:41 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Think about how foolish it is for USA to sell $300 billion in arms to SA and for Canada to sell $15 billion worth of light armored vehicles to them as well, all of which could be used against us soon enough.
Have we gone berserk on this planet!!??

The crown prince has been up to something that is being revealed. Not long ago Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman arrested several rivals most of them in his own extended family. Salman had them abducted and injected with a substance to render them unconscious. They were brought back to their home country and were imprisoned. (Check out YouTube for further)

Salman appears to be clearing out "potential adversaries ahead of pushing through his ambitious domestic economic reforms". Recent protests against it in that country have resulted in a roundup of human rights activists including a Canadian citizen, thus Canada has responded calling for the release of all the activists, provoking SA's ire.

Google:Explanation of Saudi Purge

Now Allies have backed off and refuse to publicly support Canada when clearly Canada has not done anything differently than either Trump or May would do in the same position. We are beginning to find out who Saudi's friends really are.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Now Allies have backed off and refuse to publicly support Canada when clearly Canada has not done anything differently than either Trump or May would do in the same position. We are beginning to find out who Saudi's friends really are.
Well, to be fair, Sweden was the first to feel the wrath of the Saudis back in 2015 and I don’t know if Canada supported Sweden back then:

Clash between Sweden and Saudi Arabia escalates as ambassador is withdrawn

Quote:
Accusing Sweden’s foreign minister of “flagrant interference” in its internal affairs, the Saudi foreign ministry said it was recalling Ibrahim bin Saad al-Ibrahim in protest over Sweden’s criticism of its human rights record, which it said was “harmful to the kingdom”.
Coincidentally, as is the case with Canada, it was also a FEMALE foreign minister doing the public criticism. That must have really annoyed the Saudis.

As far as Trump is concerned, I’m sure he doesn’t give a flip about human rights abuses.

I have sympathy for Theresa May. I think she is out of her depth as prime minister. From what I’ve read, it looks like the U.K. is headed for a hard Brexit next year which probably means tough economic times until the new reality gets sorted out. I suspect the Saudis have very significant investment in the U.K. and the Saudis pulling investments out could make a bad Brexit situation worse.

That’s not the case in Canada and I’m glad Saudi Arabia is selling its investments here. That leaves us even less vulnerable to their blackmail in future.

Saudi Arabia is trying to attract foreign investment to their country. I wonder if foreign companies who are interested will factor in the blackmail aspect inherent in such investments.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:37 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
I don't think much os Saudi Arabia, but it is their right to throw anyone out that they wish to. Trashing your host nation can and will result in being kicked out in many countries. I happen to live in one where, if you trash the Royal family, Police or Military you are out on your ear and don't come back. You may also be jailed for it.
I don't have to agree with my host nation, but I do have to obey their laws if I want to stay there.
P.s
If you want to trash another country I recommend that you do it from the safety of you're own country to avoid such things as a public flogging or being locked up in a very nasty prison.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I don't think much os Saudi Arabia, but it is their right to throw anyone out that they wish to. Trashing your host nation can and will result in being kicked out in many countries. I happen to live in one where, if you trash the Royal family, Police or Military you are out on your ear and don't come back. You may also be jailed for it.
I don't have to agree with my host nation, but I do have to obey their laws if I want to stay there.
P.s
If you want to trash another country I recommend that you do it from the safety of you're own country to avoid such things as a public flogging or being locked up in a very nasty prison.
The Ambassador was thrown out. He didn’t trash Saudi Arabia.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Nice to see a country stand up against Saudi Arabia.

USA isn't the badass anymore -- Canada is more badass -- that is freak'n hilarious.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
P.s
Whole lot of rant for someone who is ignorant of the issue/story.

I'd do some reading and get back to us.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Well, to be fair, Sweden was the first to feel the wrath of the Saudis back in 2015 and I don’t know if Canada supported Sweden back then:

Clash between Sweden and Saudi Arabia escalates as ambassador is withdrawn

Coincidentally, as is the case with Canada, it was also a FEMALE foreign minister doing the public criticism. That must have really annoyed the Saudis.

As far as Trump is concerned, I’m sure he doesn’t give a flip about human rights abuses.

I have sympathy for Theresa May. I think she is out of her depth as prime minister. From what I’ve read, it looks like the U.K. is headed for a hard Brexit next year which probably means tough economic times until the new reality gets sorted out. I suspect the Saudis have very significant investment in the U.K. and the Saudis pulling investments out could make a bad Brexit situation worse.

That’s not the case in Canada and I’m glad Saudi Arabia is selling its investments here. That leaves us even less vulnerable to their blackmail in future.

Saudi Arabia is trying to attract foreign investment to their country. I wonder if foreign companies who are interested will factor in the blackmail aspect inherent in such investments.
Wasn't Sweden where SA kidnapped one of their family members as part of a sweep to rid themselves of adversaries of Crown Prince Salman.? SA did this on Swedish soil. They rendered the captive unconscious and put him in an SA prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies