Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:40 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
trumpers became apoplectic when people compared their Glorious Leader to that short brown-shirted German man with the funny little mustache.

Now they have gone full-blown nutso by supporting this demagogue's desire to shut down any media that disagrees with him, exposes his lies and reports the truth.

America as we know it is at risk. Shutting down the FREE press should be anathema to Americans, regardless of political party.

trump has turned us into a country of haters. Happy now?
Very little of the press these days is FREE and even less of it is unbiased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:40 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Guess you're one of the 43%

Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Poll question: “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior”

43% of Republicans agreed with that statement. Wow.

43% of Republicans don't believe in the First Amendment?
43% don't believe in the freedom of the press?
43% want American media to be propaganda outlets that only report positive stories about Trump?
43% want the government to interfere with private news corporations?

It appears 43% of Republicans need to take a civics class and brush up on basic Constitutional principles.
The whole idea of a president having control or power over the press is very un-American.

I truly believe many of the die-hard Trump suppoters would be happier in Russia. They want an authoritarian, big Daddy, to tell them what to do; to make everything OK; and they have been shouting Putin's praises since Obama was president.

They hate freedom of the press; democracy, gays, and minorities.

Russia would be PERFECT for them. Except for that gun thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Not at all surprised. Not everyone supports democracy, many, if not most, Trump supporters would prefer fascism.
Exactly. They would

Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I truly believe many of the die-hard Trump suppoters would be happier in Russia. They want an authoritarian, big Daddy, to tell them what to do; to make everything OK; and they have been shouting Putin's praises since Obama was president.

Exactly. They would
Yeah they want to be spanked, just like their Glorious Leader. They want to work in factories, not own factories. They want their kids to follow them into factory work, not get educated.

They are dinosaurs, this is their last hurrah. They will be gone soon, but not soon enough.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:00 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not fake at all. In fact, VERY transparent. They showed their sample sizes, and a good statistician (I am not one, but I do understand the concepts) could easily calculate standard deviation, and give the exact risk.

What I find even more compelling is that the poll is very openly favorign (slightly) republicans, yet Obama ranked higher overall in favorable, and lower overall in unfavorable, vs Trump.

Trump couldn't even muster 50% of his own party's support. His base is a loud minority.

You guys need to learn the difference between "fake news" and "stuff you don't want to hear". The "news" is a report on a survey/poll, which was very transparent in how they arrived at their conclusions. Whether those conclusions are accurate or not, the news is not fake. Your knee-jerk reaction to call everything you don't like or understand as "fake", only undermines your credibility.

No Dear. That information was not posted in the OP. It was a completely different leftist rag that drew the conclusions.

Try again.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:00 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Why would you think that? Are you drinking or are you always this obnoxious and ignorant?

Old 08-07-2018, 12:02 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Quote:
I am definitely NOT one of the 43%, and I doubt I agree with much of TheMoreYouKnow's political philosophy, but I have say that his/her statement, which you quoted and replied to, is in fact very accurate.

I don't know that it's a good or bad thing, I suspect it's both, but it's definitely not completely free, and there is no such thing as unbiased reporting of most news. Humans, by nature, have bias.

What think is tougher, is that the simple-minded can't seem to understand this important fact. Because they are unable to think for themselves, and to apply reason to their beliefs, it really makes things difficult for them. My observation is that the simpletons of the world view things in full digital terms. They either support someone or something, or they don't, but they don't have the capacity to reason things out, and to make a decision knowing that it comes with pros and cons.

I think that is why so many of the Trump-supporters, 43%, answered that way. Because they don't have the capacity to understand that something can be imperfect, but still be the best available. I think it's also the basis of why so many of them think they are Americans, but in reality, they don't espouse American values. It's why they want to do away with constitutional protections when it doesn't suit their agenda, because they don't, or can't, understand that while something (like our legal system, our constitution) might be imperfect, but it's the best available. It's the same reason they think anyone who dares to critique their dear leader must be the enemy of the people.

I'm not sure who I'm "speaking to". The people that need to hear this either can't, or won't understand it.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:03 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Exactly. They would

And you base this on a random, not scientific random phone call poll of just 900 people which was then parroted by a leftist blog which cherry picked one statistic out of context, then wrote an opinion article from it?

What a sad life you guys must lead.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:05 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No Dear. That information was not posted in the OP. It was a completely different leftist rag that drew the conclusions.

Try again.
It was posted in the poll results, which were linked in the OP for anyone who wasn't too lazy to find it. I found it from this discussion.

What I find interesting is that you can't defend your comrad's hate for the values in our bill of rights, so you go about attacking the source. Well (dear), the source is disclosed, NO MATTER HOW YOU FIND IT, so why don't you tell us how you feel about it. How would you answer the question. Should Trump be able to shut down the media? If yes, how do you justify that, and if not, how do you explain your comrad's anti-American thoughts?

Let's hear it, "dear"!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:10 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
While I don't think the media should be controlled, per se, I do think media outlets should be required to be more transparent with their political leanings.

Too many of these companies are trying to present themselves as neutral and unbiased, when in reality, they all contort the context of their stories in clever ways to influence public opinion. That, IMO, is just as dangerous to our democracy as media "control".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies