Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In the private sector where money must be earned, the ramifications of an inefficient employee are somewhat immediate and if discovered by ownership, dealt with quickly. If you ran a biz would you pay someone to sleep on the job?
In the public sector there is no penalty, the people are taxed the same no matter the quality of service. There is no loss of business to show customer dissatisfaction, nor an increase in profits to indicate satisfaction. That you did a good job is simply unverifiable, you would have been paid regardless.
Not true. I personally fired several people. It is true that it was not as simple a process as it would have been in the private sector, and that it took me longer to do it. But I followed all the documentation guidelines, and I persisted. Mostly these were people who were obviously not suited for the job during the first 6 months of their job, when they were on probation. But I did fire one long term employee who became unethical as the years went by. As for accountability, the agency I worked for had an extensive system of evaluation for quality outcomes. I think your hostility toward the public sector may come out of ignorance, because much of what we did was completely unheralded by the press and unnoticed by the public - but necessary for the health of our community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:16 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You cannot indict Government Federal, state, local until the majority is found practicing this 3 hours a day napping ritual.....
The paradigm is the same.

The State has zero incentive to perform well, no accountability, and no competition.

That goes for all levels.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:24 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Okay let's hear the jokes about Reagan sleeping at his desk, Trump golfing and Duhbya Bush and Obama doing coloring books while others made policy for them. And I won't even mention what Clinton was doing......

Old 08-08-2018, 05:24 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
All should have been fired.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:51 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Unfortunately it is next to impossible to terminate an employee of the government. I know first hand of a supervisor who spent two years documenting every requirement in order to terminate someone who was not doing their job and still was unable to rid the government of the person. Only recourse was transfer this person from job to job, hoping they would leave on their own. Not happening, they sit around, collect a paycheck, add to their retirement and play on the internet. This is not an isolated case.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:55 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Unfortunately it is next to impossible to terminate an employee of the government. I know first hand of a supervisor who spent two years documenting every requirement in order to terminate someone who was not doing their job and still was unable to rid the government of the person. Only recourse was transfer this person from job to job, hoping they would leave on their own. Not happening, they sit around, collect a paycheck, add to their retirement and play on the internet. This is not an isolated case.
Sorta disproves the whole notion that govt works for people

Old 08-08-2018, 06:14 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just wait until they're running our health care!
https://mises.org/wire/government-wo...day-four-years
"Just wait until they're running our health care"

"a DMV employee was..."

Some on the left harp on the FED gov't gov. running our healthcare.

The DMV is STATE run.

HUGE difference!

Old 08-08-2018, 06:21 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I worked for my entire career in a County health department. I worked very hard, and I supervised many other people who worked very hard. In addition, there were many other co-workers in my department who would never have had the time to sleep on the job. There will always be examples of bad behavior. That doesn't mean that the whole of government employees are the same. Shame on the OP for making such an insinuation! Do you think such examples could not be found in private jobs?
" That doesn't mean that the whole of government employees are the same."

I agree with you.

I did see 2 cases, out of THOUSANDS of employees, who had "jobs" were they did absolutely NOTHING.

That was NOT the fault of the workers but, the management who were "punishing" the "workers".

Old 08-08-2018, 06:23 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post

It honestly does take about 2 years. If the documentation is complete, there should be no reason not to proceed. I will say that in federal government, they are hesitant because most fired employees are now suing upon firing. Every case has to be heard and goes to court and it costs a lot of money. The government often just settles out with them as it's cheaper. But it's still very costly. This is where the system needs to be revamped.

While I think it's important that government employees have a few extra protections placed on their employment (mainly so they can not be fired out of political motivation), there are too many protections there for race, gender, and disability that make it a nightmare to navigate through.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:24 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Just wait until they're running our health care"

"a DMV employee was..."

Some on the left harp on the FED gov't gov. running our healthcare.

The DMV is STATE run.

HUGE difference!
maybe you didnt get enough sleep at work yesterday, but thats been explained in the course of the thread. Guv is guv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies