Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 05:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Element TV promotes themselves as "American Made" tiny print assembled

If a company is making something where both the end product and materials are predominantly made in the US they can and will use the "Made in the USA" label. Anything else indicates otherwise.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:40 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If a company is making something where both the end product and materials are predominantly made in the US they can and will use the "Made in the USA" label. Anything else indicates otherwise.
Actually all that matters is final assembly to get that label.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:45 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Hopefully they can find other jobs - because thankfully there are jobs available and employers are looking for people.
South Carolina and that county in particular was hit hard when SCE&G stopped building a nuclear power plant before they had finished putting something like 5,000 construction workers out of business not to mention not hiring the folks they were going to hire to run the plant. So, yeah, hopefully they can find jobs.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:50 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
https://www.fitsnews.com/2018/08/07/...pitalist-fail/

As usual the OTHER side of the TRUE story.
I'd be careful to trust what FitsNews says. Look into the past of the founder Will Folks, former chief of staff to Mark Sanford.. He loves to bash former governor Nikki Haley and this column does that. Column, not article. I don't know if Folks considers it a news site. I guess so with the name, FitsNews, but he cannot be considered a reporter by any stretch. Other media outlets have called him a blogger.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Actually all that matters is final assembly to get that label.

That is not the case and it's the one label that has enforcement guidelines.

Quote:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...e-usa-standard

What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.
What does "all or virtually all" mean?

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:43 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I thought Trump's policies began taking effect when the stock market dropped a few hundred points a few months back.

Oh, I forgot that it became Obama's economy again after it went back up. So we're back on Trump's economy now, right?
trumps the one imposing the tariffs, not Mr. Obama. derka derr

Old 08-07-2018, 07:11 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
So much winning!

For a small county, where over 22% of the population are already below the poverty line, 126 lost jobs is a pretty big deal.

The article said that Element hopes the closure is only temporary (3-6 months). I really hope that remains the case.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:14 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Trumps policies are beginning to take effect.

South Carolina manufacturer says it's closing plant over Trump tariffs

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/so...XAM?li=BBnb7Kz

Element Electronics, a consumer electronics company in South Carolina, says it will be closing its plant in Winnsboro due to tariffs imposed by President Trump.

The State reported Tuesday that the company was one of the largest remaining employers in Fairfield County after the local Walmart, which used to be the largest grocery store in the county, closed its door two years ago.

The news also comes after plans were canceled to build two nuclear reactors in the area, terminating 5,000 construction jobs.
I love the throw in about the nuclear reactors that have zero to do with anything...as if those are Trumps fault too.

Lol...certainly 126 jobs is worthy of national news.

Oooh can we call them Faux News? LMAO

Old 08-07-2018, 07:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
SC is #1 or #2 (depending on study) in taking more from me (taxpayers elsewhere) than they pay...it's like the whole state is one big Trump (a con....taking money and giving nothing in return).

Now they will have to take more. Many of the other manufacturers there are thinking hard about staying...car companies etc....

I must admit - even an ape or monkey who tried (multiple choice) would not do as poorly as Trump in these matters. You really have to be clueless to destroy things this quickly.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I love the throw in about the nuclear reactors that have zero to do with anything...as if those are Trumps fault too.

Lol...certainly 126 jobs is worthy of national news.

Oooh can we call them Faux News? LMAO
Nope. Those are the result of a crooked republican dominated legislature and a "Public Service Commission" that rubber stamps whatever they want. SCANA has stolen an average of $3,000 from every customer they "served". That said - I'm sure Trump would have approved, and probably participated had he known.

126 jobs doesn't sound like much, but how many Winnsboros do you think there are in America?

Last edited by cuebald; 08-07-2018 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies