U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:40 AM

9,916 posts, read 3,941,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As many are,but you've failed to point out what is "special" here in this case
I guess you can't see it.

Georgetown and those who funded him so generously on GoFundMe can.

"shrug". Blue dress white dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 06:41 AM

7,319 posts, read 2,165,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If the young man in your situation had the same academic/leadership record, if he applied for a full ride because he was now unexpectedly destitute, I would guess he could get full financial aid of some sort from a university.

I wonder. Why does it bother so many that the university took note of this very courageous young man and gave him a scholarship he probably would have earned by applying for it if his family was destitute in the first place?

Yes. Georgetown is making a statement. Yes. Why does that bother so many? That historic wrongs are now being righted?

And it's about damn time the US culture accepts the fact that gay people should not be shunned because of who they choose to have sex with.

The most outspoken haters, as we've seen, are in the closet.
How is this a historic situation? What does his being gay have ANYTHING to do with his merit as a student? Only gay people can be smart? Only gay people are offered scholarships? If he wasn't gay, would the school have offered up the money? What if he was gay but not as smart?

Situation in a nutshell: Parents were going to pay for college. Now they aren't. College steps in and gives free ride because .... HE's GAY.

Note to parents: Wow. Here's how to get a free scholarship.

You are confusing the issue here. And you don't even see that you are confusing the issue.

And pointing out facts doesn't make anyone a hater. Ignoring facts because you don't like them? That makes you ignorant and biased. /shrug/

Old 08-08-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I wasn't aiming that at his parents; it's very unlikely they're reading this forum.

To me, this topic thread is a truly joyous celebration. One of those feel good things you read and tears come to your eyes.

But to others, apparently, it's not the same. "How come HE gets that?"

He gets it because he has a really hard path, and he's done a truly stellar job. And we should all get out of his way, he's going places. In part thanks to an excellent teacher who did what teachers should do - find the deserving students and help them achieve their potential.
What is his 'hard' path? LGBT are celebrated every day. Diversity is everywhere. It's a great time to be gay. You get rewarded for being gay.

This isn't 1920. Wake up.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What is his 'hard' path? LGBT are celebrated every day. Diversity is everywhere. It's a great time to be gay. You get rewarded for being gay.

This isn't 1920. Wake up.
Unless you have a very close family member who is gay, you don't know what it's like. How there is still a lot of hate and judgement.

Just read through this thread.

And then imagine someone you love deeply were gay.

And read through the thread again.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:50 AM

29,610 posts, read 16,351,250 times
Quote:
Unless you have a very close family member who is gay, you don't know what it's like. How there is still a lot of hate and judgement.

where is the hate in this thread?

Old 08-08-2018, 06:53 AM

11,676 posts, read 8,261,950 times
Quote:
If the young man in your situation had the same academic/leadership record, if he applied for a full ride because he was now unexpectedly destitute, I would guess he could get full financial aid of some sort from a university.

I wonder. Why does it bother so many that the university took note of this very courageous young man and gave him a scholarship he probably would have earned by applying for it if his family was destitute in the first place?

Yes. Georgetown is making a statement. Yes. Why does that bother so many? That historic wrongs are now being righted?

And it's about damn time the US culture accepts the fact that gay people should not be shunned because of who they choose to have sex with.

The most outspoken haters, as we've seen, are in the closet.
Tell us what historic wrongs are being righted by this and we'll go from there.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Tell us what historic wrongs are being righted by this and we'll go from there.
The historic wrong of telling gays their lifestyle/sexuality is not acceptable.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:

What makes you think I don't? You assume because my opinion isn't rah rah good on him that I am have no idea what I am talking about? There is NO hate or judgement in anything I've written. You are perceiving it that way through clouded judgment. And are judging me ... because I am asking questions? Yep. You are. Judging me.

Facts. Not feelings. Try it sometimes.

This kid got a scholarship because he was GAY. And made a very big deal out of it. That's it. Pretending any differently is dishonest. And it shows future applicants ... hey, let's just say I'm gay and I can get money. Quite frankly, if I were gay, I would be annoyed by this. It's pandering of the worst kind. And if I were gay and had been turned down for a scholarship because I wanted to be judged on my merit, not my gayness, I would be triple pis-ed. Because all I would've had to do was say, hey, I'm GAY!!

All he had to do was what every. other. college. student. does. Figure out how to pay for it. They all do. Not an issue by any stretch of the imagination.

How many other kids get kicked out by their parents? Are they less deserving because they aren't gay? Apparently so.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
The historic wrong of telling gays their lifestyle/sexuality is not acceptable.
And that means all gay kids today deserve college scholarships?

You realize that makes no sense and is in no way related .. to anything, right? Nope. Not a clue.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:04 AM

5,933 posts, read 5,413,544 times
Oh for the love.

Georgetown is an elite school. They don’t give merit aid because all the students are merit-quality students. Like a lot of other elites they are a rich school so they pledge to meet 100% of need rather than do merit scholarships.

This kid didn’t “unfairly” take money from anyone.

His level of need changed because his family circumstances changed. He had already been accepted. They just changed his financial aid package to reflect his new circumstances.

Some of you need to chill out. So petty and hateful, don’t want anyone to have anything. Jeebus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies