U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 AM
 
11,921 posts, read 5,662,817 times
Reputation: 6938

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Unless you have a very close family member who is gay, you don't know what it's like. How there is still a lot of hate and judgement.

Just read through this thread.

And then imagine someone you love deeply were gay.

And read through the thread again.
Nobody can deal with a poster like this. Best to ignore the taunts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,660 posts, read 8,255,086 times
Reputation: 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The historic wrong of telling gays their lifestyle/sexuality is not acceptable.
Georgetown has been telling telling gays their lifestyle/sexuality is not acceptable????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Barrington
45,595 posts, read 33,860,209 times
Reputation: 15166
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank deforrest View Post
why would anyone want it known the reason they were given a full ride is because of who they have sex with? And if that isnt the reason, who cares?
4.6 gpa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:43 AM
 
11,921 posts, read 5,662,817 times
Reputation: 6938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Oh for the love.

Georgetown is an elite school. They don’t give merit aid because all the students are merit-quality students. Like a lot of other elites they are a rich school so they pledge to meet 100% of need rather than do merit scholarships.

This kid didn’t “unfairly” take money from anyone.

His level of need changed because his family circumstances changed. He had already been accepted. They just changed his financial aid package to reflect his new circumstances.

Some of you need to chill out. So petty and hateful, don’t want anyone to have anything. Jeebus.
It’s a story of Love, caring, courage and understanding- no help for those who can’t understand that.
Pity them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,131 posts, read 15,672,391 times
Reputation: 9810
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I fail to see the celebration of this over any other reason a teen and his family falls out.
I don't either unless you are some anti-gay person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Barrington
45,595 posts, read 33,860,209 times
Reputation: 15166
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No skin off my ass either way, but it does present an opportunity (assuming this becomes policy) for anyone willing to claim being shunned by their family/friends over their sexual practices to game the system.

Perhaps there will be a gay-sex test instituted to prevent abuse.
Most students do not have the academic achievements this kid earned and did so despite his family’s choice to no longer support him unless he “ quit being gay”.

His father told him “ Biblically, we have the right to stone you” and sent him to gay conversion therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:48 AM
 
5,930 posts, read 5,410,537 times
Reputation: 10581
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Are there any other students who were given full scholarships in the same manner this year?

Or is he the only one?

And if this is a common practice by the school, why all the fuss? Since this is just normal school protocol, there should be zero coverage of this story. Right?
I don’t work there so I don’t know if there were any more this year. Though I will say that emancipated students are not uncommon (I’ve helped a few students through the process myself). Full rides in and of themselves are common at elite schools for very poor students.

The school didn’t advertise this. The high school teacher went public with his plight when she put up the go fund me page. This is the feel good ending to the story.

So is your argument now that it’s not “fair” that the high school teacher got press coverage? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM
 
11,921 posts, read 5,662,817 times
Reputation: 6938
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
4.6 gpa
4 hours short of an associate degree and a managed a part time job after his “christian” parents forced him into abusive Conversion therapy before the kicked him out in the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:53 AM
 
12,018 posts, read 6,622,146 times
Reputation: 12820
These are private family issues that are none of the public's business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Barrington
45,595 posts, read 33,860,209 times
Reputation: 15166
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I agree. NOTHING would come before my children, whether they were gay, straight, or anything else. Sounds like a smart kid, hope he does well during and after college.
A few years ago someone posted a poll on this forum, asking for reactions if your kid “came out”.

The poll concluded it would make no difference to most and clearly crossed political ideology. I was however, surprised at the number of posters who said they would cut their kid off, including a few who rationalized killing their child under the circumstances. The wonders of anonymous forums...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top