Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 PM

19,624 posts, read 12,218,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I have only read part of this thread but are there really posters who support stoning children, raping them, or dumping them in the streets? I would like to put them on ignore if so.
Careful now, not funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 03:00 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
"There are many different types of federal loans you could get without a parent co-signer that you should consider as you research how to take out a student loan. The U.S. Department of Education lists options that require neither a credit check nor a co-signer, including:

Direct Subsidized Loans. Undergraduates can obtain these loans — also called Subsidized Stafford Loans — to pay for a career school or college. Students must demonstrate financial need.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans. These loans — also called Unsubsidized Stafford Loans — are available to undergraduates, graduate students, and professional students. Showing financial need is not required.

Direct PLUS Loans. These loans are available only to graduate or professional students. While parents of undergraduates can take Parent PLUS Loans, undergraduate students do not qualify for PLUS Loans.

Perkins Loans. These are school-based loans for undergraduate and graduate students. Students must show exceptional financial need."

https://studentloanhero.com/featured...thout-parents/

So three of the four options require financial need, as demonstrated by FAFSA. Parents must submit financial information for FAFSA. That information, regardless of whether the parent plans to pay or not, informs how much financial aid (including loans) a student qualifies for.

Direct unsubsidized loans are determined by the school's financial aid office. According to Georgetown, you still must submit a FAFSA, which requires parental involvement. The maximum one can take out per year is $5,500 as a dependent student. Even if he filed for emancipation (which can be a lenthy process) and became independent, he would only be able to take out $9,500 a year.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I agree. Yes, he is better off. So what? All I'm saying is he left the "nest" because he didn't like mom and dad's rules. Now is trying to publicly shame his parents. Wow, such a sweetheart of a loving, tolerant son.

We all outgrew the nest. Our unwillingness to be under our parent's house rules helped pave our way. This gay guy is no different, yet he paints himself a victim. He sounds like a spoiled brat to me. I pity his first employer the moment pampered boy doesn't get his way. He's really good at spinning the truth.
He's not the one who made public his story. It was his teacher.

You certainly sound defensive about it though for something that has ZERO to do with you.

His parents are SCUM and they deserve every bit of condemnation they receive.

Defend them if you wish.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:27 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So three of the four options require financial need, as demonstrated by FAFSA. Parents must submit financial information for FAFSA. That information, regardless of whether the parent plans to pay or not, informs how much financial aid (including loans) a student qualifies for.

Direct unsubsidized loans are determined by the school's financial aid office. According to Georgetown, you still must submit a FAFSA, which requires parental involvement. The maximum one can take out per year is $5,500 as a dependent student. Even if he filed for emancipation (which can be a lenthy process) and became independent, he would only be able to take out $9,500 a year.
Like I said, There are different types of federal loans you could get without a parent co-signer.
Scholarships for good grades, or just because your parent or relative was XXX.

Go to a school one can afford. I did that with my house and my car. People go to a Jr College as well as test out of classes to save money. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
He's not the one who made public his story. It was his teacher.

You certainly sound defensive about it though for something that has ZERO to do with you.

His parents are SCUM and they deserve every bit of condemnation they receive.

Defend them if you wish.
The parents actions weren't very Christian imo.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Like I said, There are many different types of federal loans you could get without a parent co-signer.

Go to a school one can afford. I did that with my house and my car. People go to a Jr College as well as test out of classes to save money. Where there's a will, there's a way.
This has nothing to do with a parent being a cosigner.

Even if the parent is not going to cosign anything, they still need to submit their personal information. Even if they have no intention of paying what the school thinks they can afford, their student is impacted by their assets and income.

In this case, it seems that he *did* go to a school that he can afford. He had loans and scholarships, but his parents withdrew their support after leading him to believe they would pay. He, like many students in similar situations, tried to raise money to continue his educational plan. Georgetown meets need. His need changed and the school decided to take his parents' expected contribution out of the equation.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with a parent being a cosigner.

Even if the parent is not going to cosign anything, they still need to submit their personal information. Even if they have no intention of paying what the school thinks they can afford, their student is impacted by their assets and income.
No they don't
" Still, if you don't want to include your parents' information on the FAFSA, see if you're eligible to declare “independent student” status. You can do this through your college's financial aid office. That will allow you to fill out the FAFSA using your information, not your family's."

Quote:
In this case, it seems that he *did* go to a school that he can afford. He had loans and scholarships, but his parents withdrew their support after leading him to believe they would pay. He, like many students in similar situations, tried to raise money to continue his educational plan. Georgetown meets need. His need changed and the school decided to take his parents' expected contribution out of the equation.
How do you equate someone being able to afford it based on their parents paying?

Old 08-08-2018, 03:41 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Don't assume anything. At all. You have no idea who I am. And I'm not mad. I realize it's easy to insult people and play emotions instead of acting in a rational manner and using critical thinking skills ... so ...

My point AGAIN is that the reason this is a story? Because he's gay. That's PANDERING. That's BIGOTRY. It's the very definition of prejudice.

Writer: Let's write a story about this kid who can't afford college. His parents won't pay.
Editor:Pffft, that's not a story. Lots of kids can't afford college. Lots of parents don't pay.
Writer: But the kid's GAY!!! He's GAY!!!
Editor: OMG, you HAVE to write this STORY! He's GAY, people need to know!!!!

That's the <all of my best friends are gay> nonsense.

Not surprising that you are unable to make that intellectual distinction. Because feelings. Not fact.

And thank YOU for being part of the discussion.
Why is it that obtuse posters often accuse others of being emotional and irrational when they are being irrational themselves? lol

The link was from this kid’s hometown media. So local reporters cover a story where the *local* high school valedictorian has a desperate run to attempt to raise money to go to his dream school because his parents have disowned him. Do you have evidence this story would not have been covered if he fell out with his parents for any other reason? Considering local news will cover stories about exceptional Girl Scout cookie sales or tap dancing dogs I’m going to need you to present an argument based on something other than your guess. lol

There is a difference between a compelling overcoming adversity story where the kid happens to be gay and covering him JUST because he’s gay. There would be no story if he was SIMPLY gay. The story is in the adversity.

The other link embedded was from Out magazine. So a publication for gay readers covering gay issues is obviously going to cover this story. I don’t know how it’s pandering since that’s their mission and all.

Your distinction is not “intellectual”. It’s the logic of someone who approached the situation with an outcome already in mind. You started from a place of trying to “prove” this kid was getting something unfairly for being gay. When your efforts to focus on the money failed, you decided to focus on the attention. But there’s noting inherently unfair about reporting this story. Since we get these “overcoming adversity to get into college/win scholarship” stories from multiple angles every year there is no reason to assume his local media wouldn’t have covered it regardless.

But you know, stay mad. It’s pretty funny. LMAO

Old 08-08-2018, 03:53 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
EXACTLY. He earned his way into a full-need school. That was his scholarship.

Quote:
No they don't
" Still, if you don't want to include your parents' information on the FAFSA, see if you're eligible to declare “independent student” status. You can do this through your college's financial aid office. That will allow you to fill out the FAFSA using your information, not your family's."
That's the process of emacipation we are talking about (I can't remember if they call it something else when you're over 18, but it's the same idea). Financial Aid offices dont just grant you that status because you asked. You have to prove it and it takes a while, it's difficult, and they can always decide they still don't believe you and say no.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
No they don't

How do you equate someone being able to afford it based on their parents paying?
In order to file for independent student status on FAFSA, you must:

1. Be at least 24 on or before Dec. 31 of the award year.
  2. Be an orphan or a ward of the court.
  3. Be a veteran.
  4. Be a graduate or professional student (i.e. earning an MS, JD, PhD).
  5. Be married.
  6. Have children or other legal dependents.
  7. Receive a waiver for unusual circumstances. These are incredibly difficult to prove. Even if you are 21, have been living independently for a few years, and your parents have no plan on paying, most financial aid offices will not give you a waiver.
Your parents must submit FAFSA in order to qualify for most aid. Many merit scholarships require FAFSA as well, even if you are not required to show financial need to receive those scholarships.

Most of us talk with our families to determine what we can afford. Every college factors a parent contribution into the equation. That's part of affordability. If you choose to not fund any part of your child's education when you can afford to do so, know that impacts the affordability of all schools. It's been this way for decades.

In this case, it seems like Georgetown effectively waived his parent contribution, if not formally, and met his full need. Did they do this because it made news? Probably. But I work at a university and we try to work with students as best we can. Not all of them have teachers who spread the news, but most of us appreciate a heartwarming story where we see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies