U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 01:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 2,452,172 times

Advertisements

A young boy sees grandma knitting and wants to learn how.

He is told he can't because knitting is a "girl thing."

Is that the world we want our kids living in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 02:15 PM

13,569 posts, read 5,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
A young boy sees grandma knitting and wants to learn how.

He is told he can't because knitting is a "girl thing."

Is that the world we want our kids living in?
What if he wants to learn how to make meat helmets and take luge lessons?

Old 08-08-2018, 02:39 PM

6,058 posts, read 3,090,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Keep a close eye on your child, and speak with him or her openly. A lot of monsters disguise themselves as Christians, and seek out employment where they have access to kids. Iíve seen it too many times.
I will

Old 08-08-2018, 04:26 PM

647 posts, read 158,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Thankfully where we live and in our schools this would NEVER be allowed.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 PM

2,515 posts, read 820,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I would love to run into a roving pack of drag queens! I see them on my commute but never in a pack trying to read to me. And they do have the best makeup.

Seriously, I had heard a story, I think on NPR, about this program. It's voluntary and incredibly popular.

If this is what the parents of the school are okay with, then that's fine, but take a look at the little girl's face in the first photo. She's totally trying to figure out what is up with that person's face, lol.

I don't know what kind of drag queens you know, but the one I know wears outlandish, overdone makeup like the person wearing the silver top - on purpose, of course, but definitely NOT the best makeup.

Now, I know a couple cross-dressers who have good makeup...

Old 08-08-2018, 04:51 PM

3,004 posts, read 2,452,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
That's fair. I guess I just view the social justice types as another religious group, and I think people might be a little more skeptical if a Mormon group, or whatever denomination, held an event for kids. It may be fine, or they may have a goal in mind.

There's something about transgendered people teaching about gender that raises a red flag. It definitely could be fine and innocent with no agenda, but I wouldn't lean toward that.
Drag queens aren't typically transgender though. They're men who dress up as women as part of an act.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:53 PM

20,363 posts, read 9,929,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Great! The you don't have to worry about the roving packs of drag queens that the rest of us encounter day after day. It's so tiresome. They keep pushing beauty products and insist on reading to us.
Really? Because when I ran into them they said my hair was flawless.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:04 PM

1,334 posts, read 452,314 times
We saw this somewhere in VT - can't remember exactly where - but it was kind of weird (I don't 'care' or have an opinion one way or another about how a transvestite or transgender person wants to live their life) but I apparently had some feelings about them reading to children. There were two (obvious) guys, dressed like women, w/almost full makeup and hairdos. They almost looked like female impersonators in those burlesque shows. They were reading to kids (which I also have no issue with whatsoever, in general) with the children and their parents in rapt attention. The guys just did not look like women and I wondered, if I had children, if I would allow them to attend such an event. Since these kids were young, I decided no, that would not have been the age I would introduce children to this; I thought it would be too confusing to a youngster.
BTW, who decided it was wrong to have 'boy' things and 'girl' things? If my young son wanted to knit, I would encourage and teach that. I don't need two strange looking trannies to handle that for me.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:15 PM

1,334 posts, read 452,314 times
I went to college in Tampa and at night waited tables at a Denny's that had a bar in it. This was my introduction to transvestites because it took me awhile to realize these beautiful women were actually men!! Wow. They were gorgeous, dressed to the nines, beautiful hair and makeup, and to boot they were nice, funny, and great tippers. I grew to love that crowd and my Friday night shift at Denny's. That is not what I saw in VT. What I saw was almost like a parody. A burlesque.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 PM

3,445 posts, read 941,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What if he wants to learn how to make meat helmets and take luge lessons?
Meat helmets sound really odd, but he could do that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or