U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 AM

77,900 posts, read 33,252,383 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: Police identify and charge suspects in clothing theft at Marietta store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 11:06 AM

10,178 posts, read 2,608,321 times
So $147 in clothing, which to the store is actually around $40 in value, police spend time ID'ing and going after the people?

I realize theft is theft, but cmon, does this PD have nothing more important to do in their jurisdiction?

Shoplifting like this is on the same level as traffic crimes imo, they are serious, but not THAT serious, heck my company found shoplifting does not even have that much impact on P&L, retail mark up is so high, there is not that much value in these items being stolen, so...

Old 08-09-2018, 11:48 AM

32,978 posts, read 19,952,237 times
well, it is not about her age or her gender, it is about Rules and Regulations of the Division of Police.

If he violated the rules, then he would be in trouble. It looks like there is a "complete investigation."

The officer involved has been placed on restricted duty.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
So $147 in clothing, which to the store is actually around $40 in value, police spend time ID'ing and going after the people?

I realize theft is theft, but cmon, does this PD have nothing more important to do in their jurisdiction?

Shoplifting like this is on the same level as traffic crimes imo, they are serious, but not THAT serious, heck my company found shoplifting does not even have that much impact on P&L, retail mark up is so high, there is not that much value in these items being stolen, so...
Honestly it's in a low crime area and it took very little work. A quick post on social media and bingo.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM

21,715 posts, read 21,610,835 times
What has this got to do with the original article? Am I missing something.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:54 AM

21,715 posts, read 21,610,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, it is not about her age or her gender, it is about Rules and Regulations of the Division of Police.

If he violated the rules, then he would be in trouble. It looks like there is a "complete investigation."

The officer involved has been placed on restricted duty.
I'm not sure what its got to do with the the Police force. He was at the time employed by the store (moonlighting) and not acting as a police officer.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What has this got to do with the original article? Am I missing something.
It's in the discussion.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:10 PM

32,978 posts, read 19,952,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's in the discussion.
well, maybe he should be tasered too

Old 08-09-2018, 12:33 PM

15,474 posts, read 17,637,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Security Guards have tasers in the US.
Most US states have three certified levels for security guards that define their powers and what kinds of equipment they can use. The details may vary slightly by state, but the following definitions are broadly in effect:

Level I security officers, perhaps more than 90% of everyone employed in the field, carry no weapon of any kind and have no powers of arrest. They are to act as a visual deterrent, and to observe and report. That is all. They often carry a radio, or use a phone to communicate with their supervisor or emergency services. They can also carry a small flashlight and other tools as required by the client site.

They act more of a professional witness than anything else. They can use their presence and their voice to stop a transgressor, but that is it (like the old joke (forgive me) about British police: "Stop! Or I shall say stop again in a sterner voice!")

Level II security officers can, with proper training and certification, carry, and in strictly defined circumstances, use non-lethal weapons such as pepper spray and/or taser. They can also carry handcuffs or plastic restraints and effect a temporary arrest until official law enforcement arrives.

They are usually used for events where some sort of larger scale threat can be anticipated like major sporting events or other large crowd situations that have the potential for fights, riot-like behavior, or terrorist acts. (Law enforcement is virtually always present on site in these cases, so the Level II security officer acts as a stop gap to prevent harm to innocent people in the seconds or minutes until law enforcement arrives.

Level III security officers have the privilege and powers of Level II, but are also certified to carry a handgun. Level III security officers are used primarily where large sums of money are concerned. Armored car drivers, bank guards, and the like. They may also be used in situations where the threat of physical violence is likely, but for liability reasons, this is very rare as such situations are typically covered by law enforcement by default.

Commonly, Level III guards are either moonlighting law enforcement officers, or retireed law enforcement or military veterans, but those are not requirements, at least in my state.

Now, with respect to this case, the guard, whatever level of security he was certified as and whatever type of weapon he was certified to carry, he was employed to work in a supermarket. The client (the supermarket in this case) determines what level of security they want, and it is highly, highly unusual for a supermarket, or any retail outlet, to employ anything but an unarmed guard. At least it is in my state which is very high crime. Often, if a retail or similar establishment has a history of being repeatedly victimized, police increase presence in the area or even post at the business.

For a Level I security guard, or a higher certified guard working down at a Level I post, to carry a weapon, even one for which they are certified, is an automatic termination of employment in any security company I have heard of, and it can even be a civil or criminal violation to merely be carrying it if it violates local laws since he would not be carrying the weapon in contractual agreement with the client.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 08-09-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 02:00 PM

55,485 posts, read 74,383,428 times
How about taking the severity of the crime into consideration? It was shoplifting for pete sake.[/quote]

Like I said for the half the people here it’s”what problem? Stealing is not a crime
We have all done stuff like that”

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-09-2018 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies