Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 AM

1,683 posts, read 811,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with this. It’s no secret that Tennessee is a conservative religious state. Those organizing this event got the blowback they were looking for. It will be about as popular as a Trump rally in San Francisco.

On a side note there was a big gay rally in downtown Knoxville earlier this year and most people ignored it. I bet the same thing will happen with this one.
Did you know that Knoxville has a 2-term female Democratic mayor? And metro Nashville has never had anything but mayors who were Democrats. And that Memphis just elected a Democratic African-American mayor who is a graduate of Yale Law School. And that Democrat Phil Bredesen is leading in the polls to replace Corker? And that tumpster Diane Black got trounced the other day (3rd place).

Old 08-09-2018, 09:42 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in a conservative, religious area of Tennessee. Two major local employers, Eastman Chemical Company and a Citigroup campus, have sponsored a local Pride rally this year.

While I knew some elements of the religious community would grumble, I'm truly shocked at the level of the social media outrage. There are hundreds of comments on virtually all of the local media articles. Most articles will get less than a dozen. This is the most social media outrage I've ever seen over a local issue. The event's website has nothing objectionable and is pretty plain. A large number of my personal friends are posting extremely mean things that you'd never hear them see unless it was about a "damn *****."

The comments range from cruel - "God's going to spill his wrath on the gays" to the threatening "this event's gonna turn ugly!" to the plainly bizarre "God's no longer going to bless Eastman or East Tennessee"

I'd say the comments are 2-3/1 against the event.

I'm conservative and voted for Trump, but I'm fairly open-minded. I'm tolerant. I'm not religious. I had no interest in this event before. Whatever happened to if you're not interested, simply don't participate? I'm shocked at the level of religious bigots and cultural Neanderthals.
Thats social media for you. I try not to let it influence my belief in humankind.
You did not specify the social media you are following but several articles make it sound like a big annual event sponsored by many businesses and citizens of the area. Even some churches.

First Presbyterian Church, Elizabethton | More Light LGBTQ Outreach

Old 08-09-2018, 09:44 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeHoyal View Post
Did you know that Knoxville has a 2-term female Democratic mayor? And metro Nashville has never had anything but mayors who were Democrats. And that Memphis just elected a Democratic African-American mayor who is a graduate of Yale Law School. And that Democrat Phil Bredesen is leading in the polls to replace Corker? And that tumpster Diane Black got trounced the other day (3rd place).
The big cities are isolated politically, islands of liberalism surrounded by a sea of red state conservatism. The suburbs of these cities are just as red as the rural areas. Phil Bredesen is a very conservative democrat who as governor threw a bunch of tenn care recipients off the dole, he’s no progressive. Still he may not win as Marsha Blackburn is a very strong candidate, many moderates will think twice before empowering the far lefties in the Senate by giving the another D no matter how good of a man Bredesen is. Diane Black was defeated because she was just not a likable candidate, conservative Bill Lee defeated her and he will likely be the next governor.

Tennessee is definitely a solid red state. Outside of college campuses and minority neighborhoods it’s as red as it gets. I can’t believe anyone would doubt that.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeHoyal View Post
Doesn't really matter. It's city limits only in a big university town.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:03 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Isn't that denomination basically the defacto state religion in the South?
In some states it is. In Oklahoma, the state Baptist convention pretty much is the government. The Baptist church is to Oklahoma what the Mormon church is to Utah.

Quote:
Almost all of the people I know personally that are getting up in arms over this are Southern Baptists.
The same people who are also trying to get creationism taught in public school classrooms as science and are at the forefront of keeping cannabis illegal. Baptists are the absolute worst about forcing their faith and their ridiculous moral standards on everyone else. The thing is, it hasn't always been that way. We all have the great reverend Jerry Falwell to thank for it.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:07 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Most pride parades are much tamer than the images you see on Fox News. Typically what is shown is the most shocking stuff because that's what sends evangelicals into an outrage. Granted I live in the most conservative, Trump supporting part of the US but the pride festival in my area this year didn't really have anything too explicit at all. Meanwhile, there were Trump-supporting protesters wearing MAGA hats and shaking Bibles screaming at everyone walking by to "Get AIDS and die f*ggot" and "God hates you" and "You deserve to be stoned" and stuff like that. The police were there protecting them. You people aren't being discriminated against when you can have the cops protecting you while you scream the most hateful, vile things at gay people at pride.
Whether Fox just "shows the most shocking stuff" is beside the point. It must of happened for there to be video of it.

Whereas your comment that I bolded. Where is there video of that? I can guarantee you that if that happened in this age of cell phone videoing, there would be evidence of it. Do you have any evidence of it?

The gay parade can be construed as an "in your face" to conservative Christians just as much as the conservatives is seen as an in your face, for their outward support of what they believe, in to the left and gay people.

Last edited by 4dognight; 08-09-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-09-2018, 10:10 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well Jesus didn't mention incest either so I guess that's ok too using your rational! Nothing wrong with that as long as two people love each other, right?
Jesus focused on two primary things during his time on earth: 1) Help the less fortunate, different and downtrodden 2) He calls out people that live their lives condemning others.

I think fellow Christians could benefit society more by focusing on what Jesus did while his time on earth than focusing on something else that he doesn't even talk about.

Yes, loving people is very important to Jesus' message.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:10 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The problem is Christians are forced to accept same sex marriage. That isn't freedom, that's tyranny.
They sure as heck don't complain about having to accept having a self righteous president of the United States, who loves to indulge in adultery, even though the bible said adultery was punishable by death.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:11 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
I live in a conservative, religious area of Tennessee. Two major local employers, Eastman Chemical Company and a Citigroup campus, have sponsored a local Pride rally this year.

While I knew some elements of the religious community would grumble, I'm truly shocked at the level of the social media outrage. There are hundreds of comments on virtually all of the local media articles. Most articles will get less than a dozen. This is the most social media outrage I've ever seen over a local issue. The event's website has nothing objectionable and is pretty plain. A large number of my personal friends are posting extremely mean things that you'd never hear them see unless it was about a "damn *****."

The comments range from cruel - "God's going to spill his wrath on the gays" to the threatening "this event's gonna turn ugly!" to the plainly bizarre "God's no longer going to bless Eastman or East Tennessee"

I'd say the comments are 2-3/1 against the event.

I'm conservative and voted for Trump, but I'm fairly open-minded. I'm tolerant. I'm not religious. I had no interest in this event before. Whatever happened to if you're not interested, simply don't participate? I'm shocked at the level of religious bigots and cultural Neanderthals.

"If you can't TAKE IT, DON'T dish it out"

The left, with the help of the Lame Stream Media do it ALL THE TIME!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:17 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
They sure as heck don't complain about having to accept having a self righteous president of the United States, who loves to indulge in adultery, even though the bible said adultery was punishable by death.
As a left leaning Christian this is one thing that really annoyed me most about President Trump getting elected. For years, fellow Christians railed on President Clinton for his transgressions. Conservative Christians lost the moral high ground with the support of Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies