U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-15-2018, 02:50 AM
 
23,860 posts, read 11,854,701 times
Reputation: 10068

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
From their website (my italics):

Turning Point USA achieves its mission of identifying, organizing, and empowering free market activists through the National Field Program, which aims to:

Launch, organize, and support student groups that exist to educate students about the benefits of limited government, capitalism, and freedom

Build and maintain the largest national database of students who believe in capitalism and free markets

Unite like-minded campus organizations in an effort to increase impact and activism collaboration

Educate students about the importance of free market values through well-planned, effective activism initiatives

Re-brand free market values on college campuses through student-driven messaging efforts and face-to-face conversations

Effectively push back against intolerance and bias against conservatives in higher education

Empower and train students to join the movement and become activists on their campuses and within their communities

https://www.tpusa.com/aboutus/

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's advocates for: (from her website)

Medicare for All

Housing As a Human Right

A Peace Economy

A Federal Jobs Guarantee

Gun Control / Assault Weapons Ban

Criminal Justice Reform, End Private Prisons

Immigration Justice / Abolish ICE

Solidarity with Puerto Rico

Mobilizing Against Climate Change

Clean Campaign Finance

Higher Education / Trade School for All

Women's Rights

Support LGBTQIA+

Support Seniors

Curb Wall Street Gambling: Restore Glass Steagall

https://ocasio2018.com/issues

Too bad Ocasio-Cortez is refusing to debate so far -- if she did, I think it would be a VERY interesting debate!


P.S. For those who haven't kept up with all the latest acronyms, here is what LGTBQIA+ means:

L - Lesbian. Lesbian is a term used to refer to homosexual females.
G - Gay. Gay is a term used to refer to homosexuality, a homosexual person, or a homosexual male.
B - Bisexual. Bisexual is when a person is attracted to two sexes/genders.
T - Trans. Trans is an umbrella term for transgender and transsexual people.
Q - *****/Questioning. ***** is an umbrella term for all of those who are not heterosexual and/or cisgender*. Questioning is when a person isn't 100% sure of their sexual orientation and/or gender, and are trying to find their true identity.
I - Intersex. Intersex is when a person has an indeterminate mix of primary and secondary sex characteristics.
A - Asexuality. Asexuality is when a person experiences no (or little, if referring to demisexuality or grey-asexuality) sexual attraction to people.
+ - The "+" symbol simply stands for all of the other sexualities, sexes, and genders that aren't included in these few letters.

*Cisgender definition: Denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex.

https://lgbtqiainfo.weebly.com/acron...explained.html
Interesting debate? Hardly Ocasio-Cortez would be slaughtered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2018, 04:19 AM
 
32,293 posts, read 26,146,754 times
Reputation: 18932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Oh I see since neither is a politician that is a excuse for Cortez not to debate. If her ideas are that strong she should jump at the chance to defend them. I doubt Shapiro/Ownes can get in the race since they do not live in the district. It is clear as day she is scared.

exactly right. if cortez's ideas are that good, then she should be able to defend them against anyone and at anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 04:27 AM
 
11,504 posts, read 3,143,850 times
Reputation: 3921
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its very simple. Just look at the numbers. A single payer program should easily be able to cost 12% of GDP which would be the most expensive single program in the world (but far below the 18% of GDP we spend now on healthcare). 12% of GDP is about $2.3 trillion. We spend $1.7 trillion of tax payer money right now and another $1.8 trillion in private outlays, for a total of $3.5 trillion in health care spending. We would have to raise $600 billion to get to $2.3 trillion. A 5% federal sales tax can raise that money.

So we would pay less, get more and everyone would be covered.
I rarely jump into this fray, and I admit I asked the original person because I think most people can't articulate why they hold views that are similar to yours.

I decided to look up some of InformedConsent's recent posts, and I found the recent 'Medicaid for all' thread. I read the first 7 pages of it.

I found two posts especially interesting.

One was one of yours that was essentially the same as your post above.

Another one was between you and InformedConsent where you both were missing a solution re only looking at a system and not looking 'outside the box'. At some point I may PM InformedConsent about it. I'm not going to bother bringing it up here because you would just argue that it doesn't negate a point you made because it wouldn't be able to be applied universally.

My views are all over the map on different things, and I'm not a Republican, and I would never vote for Trump, but I don't share your views on this subject. Of the prolific posters on this subject, I find that I often agree with InformedConsent's posts on this subject. I certainly don't agree with you. You (personally) really are the perfect advocate for your position because you take away the 'selfishness' argument from the other person. Anyone who has read enough of your posts knows that you care more about being an advocate for your adult child than you do about yourself. Even though I tend to agree with InformedConsent on this subject, god knows there are some things she and I are on opposite ends on. I remember, in 2016 IIRC, she and I went back and forth (where you would probably agree with me), on and off, for 100 pages + (IIRC) re what constitutes being a Natural Born Citizen and, most notably, how that relates to President Obama. On some subjects (especially related to health), you are like an 'opposite side IC'. I actually think 'your side' (for lack of a better way to put it) would be better served if others who share your views were forced to try to become as articulate re their positions as you are. I imagine you would disagree with that, else you wouldn't have inserted yourself into my question to answer it. You win on this when it comes to me. There is really no point in my trying to do this again to see if the person can articulate their point or not, because you might swoop in as you did here to answer for the person. You may end up having what you want implemented but (because of that reality, not because you personally want that reality) I hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 04:42 AM
 
78,013 posts, read 33,277,428 times
Reputation: 15593
Well shoot. No one explained where bail outs fit into a free market. This is why it would not be tough to beat any of these people throwing money around.

Hopefully this person doesn't support killing innocent women and children also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 04:50 AM
 
78,013 posts, read 33,277,428 times
Reputation: 15593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Pennsylvania is dying because of extreme corporate capitalism and state imperialism. They turned to Trump because they hate politicians, not because the Republican Party is winning them over.
They didn't turn to Trump. They refused to come out for Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Houston
5,343 posts, read 2,720,565 times
Reputation: 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
How, specifically, would you suggest we fund that?
Europe uses a VAT tax to fund theirs. Something like that could work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 05:45 AM
 
Location: annandale, va & slidell, la
7,244 posts, read 3,006,769 times
Reputation: 6062
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The Republicans feel genuinely threatened by this woman and want to try and torpedo her early.

They are skeeered....
Your girl has the intellect of a 13-yr old and her handlers don't want this exposed. Simple. They're scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 05:46 AM
 
Location: annandale, va & slidell, la
7,244 posts, read 3,006,769 times
Reputation: 6062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Europe uses a VAT tax to fund theirs. Something like that could work here.
Newsflash! This isn't Socialist Europe. Yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,670 posts, read 8,261,950 times
Reputation: 5763
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Looks like the Conservative talking heads are looking for a new "Hillary" or "Pelosi" to discuss 7x24. Gotta throw some red meat to the base and Hillary and Pelosi are now beef jerky.
So, discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Various
1,074 posts, read 377,944 times
Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
There is no straw man. There is a reason we butcher children in Yemen, occupy Afghanistan, drone niger, and support terrorists in Syria.

And Ben believes itís because American exceptionalism.
Iíd be happy to provide a link to straw man definition if you would like. I think you would benefit from it. Let me know if you need clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top