U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 PM

10,821 posts, read 2,685,488 times

Advertisements

RMESMH:
I think you qualify as a member of the Illuminati. You need to contact the Bilderberg Group and ask why you're not on their invitation list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 10:03 PM

4,666 posts, read 2,621,611 times
One of my ancestors was a leading figure in the Protestant reformation. I have the same surname still. A lot of places in the modern world are named after him.

Closer to modern times, I have direct connection to one of the founders of the Republican Party and relations to multiple people involved in bleeding Kansas.

I have a slightly distant relation to a famous Australian general in WWII. We have towns named after our surname in Canada, Missouri, and Australia.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 PM

11,523 posts, read 3,152,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
RMESMH:
I think you qualify as a member of the Illuminati. You need to contact the Bilderberg Group and ask why you're not on their invitation list.
LOL. It's just a fun diversion. Twenty some odd years ago (many years after I got my copy of my lineage book) a friend of mine gave me this huge color poster that basically is a tree of all the royal lines of Europe to sort of 'add life' to my lineage book (which is all in black and white).

That same friend's dad was dating a woman who would never shut up about her wealthy family in Europe. It used to drive my friend crazy. One time, when we were all together, he pointed to me and said "He's descended from the Duke of Bavaria you know" (he knew this because he had read it in my lineage book). This woman didn't believe him. He asked me (in front of her) to bring my lineage book the next time we were all together, and I agreed, and did so.

For various reasons, he had to spend a lot of time with that woman for the rest of his father's life....he said she piped down quite a bit after that, and he was grateful .

Old 08-09-2018, 04:55 AM

7,594 posts, read 11,425,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My grandfather however many generations back was William Bradford, Plymouth Colony governor 1621.

I was shocked when I found that out. Kind of cool, IMO. I'm mostly Norwegian and Irish, but there is that little branch of English as well. I plan on reading his biography, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I just know very basic details of his life.
My son-in-law is a direct descendant of William Bradford.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:06 AM

35,106 posts, read 19,203,402 times
Default Were any of your ancestors political or historical figures in US or abroad?

My paternal grandfather was a GOP state senator for a couple of terms in the post-war 40s-early 50s.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:17 AM

6,467 posts, read 1,296,222 times
Just in a very minor way. I am apparently something like 32nd cousin (maybe even more distant that that) to William McKinley.

However, my maternal aunt who did the family history said that we are also descended from Frederick the Great -- supposedly we had at least one "illicit" heterosexual flings before all his sexual energies were, reportedly, devoted to men, LOL!!! (My tendency is not to believe that, though, and probably the woman who made that claim was mentally ill.)

Old 08-09-2018, 07:18 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,998,104 times
22 of my ancestors were involved in the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution. My 10th great grandfather was Richard Pace who alerted the Jamestown Colony of a Powhatan offensive to destroy the first English colony in North America. Plus, I am a descendant of Jasper Tudor, uncle to Henry VII of England and Wales.

I am completely of colonial era English, Scottish and Scots-Irish ancestors.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 AM

9,459 posts, read 4,548,649 times
DNA supposedly shows that I am a descendant of Niall Noígíallach, a prehistoric Irish king. No big deal though, he is thought to have had over 300 wives and many, many children.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:34 AM

4,694 posts, read 4,339,330 times
I traced my family on my Dad's side all the way back to Massachusetts in the 1660's on Ancestry.com. From there we went to the Kentucky mountains and stayed for a couple of hundred years making moonshine and growing tobacco. My Dad always claimed that we came from a long and honorable line of Welsh cattle thieves.

My Swiss Mom was extremely political and every time I click on the CD politics forum, I cuss her out for setting such a bad example for her only daughter.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:42 AM

33,025 posts, read 19,977,932 times
Ha, I wish!

I am just so glad that none of my ancestors were Japanese or German soldiers during ww2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or