U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2018, 05:27 AM
 
1,096 posts, read 295,018 times
Reputation: 600

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually, "when it's all done" things will be like now where MANY nuke plants worth of new electric generation is being installed in the USA each year...and worldwide.

Just like "when it's all done" with efficient cars, I have a 47 MPG Honda Accord which is beautiful, reasonable in price and puts out 1/100th of the cars "the right loves"...you know, those that pollute more...

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the same righties who told us our "freedoms" were being taken away by cutting back on selling 100W incandescent bulbs...now buy the LED models because they are so much more efficient and last longer.

You can take the same in most every sector and the hypocrites fade into the sunset because...no matter how hard they try - they can't bring back cars that put out 100X the pollution.
What is truly amazing is that this seems to upset some of them.

The only explanation is that they were taught they are the only people living on the planet...instead of understand they are 1 of 7 billion plus.

Heck, even the Saudis and Chinese know which way the wind is blowing - only certain American knuckle draggers are fighting for more Coal Rollers...

https://gizmodo.com/report-saudi-ara...-te-1828288394
What does that have to do with my point.... which is you cannot mitigate a problem caused by human industrialization with programs that industrialize more humans?

Oh and gimme a break about your green honda... the only 47mpg accord is a hybrid and its well known the pollution and toxic cost of its additional complexity and batteries and reduced life span negate most of its fuel savings.

Finally when righties were complaining about the govt banning incandescent bulbs, LEDs werent widely available. It was CFLs they objected to because they were Chinese and filled with mercury and cost about 10x more.

Last edited by phinneas j. whoopee; 08-17-2018 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2018, 08:53 AM
 
10,220 posts, read 2,615,841 times
Reputation: 6974
The worst part about this, there are NUMEROUS energy alternatives that are much cheaper, but the downside is they cannot be run thru a meter and cannot sustain a large industry to supply and distribute it out, in other words, it would be GREAT for the average Joe, but terrible for Govt and large industry, so they are suppressed, never to see the light of day.

The old high school physics class experiment with the two counter-rotating magnetic rings is enough prove these types of alternative energies exist and they do work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:07 AM
 
10,105 posts, read 6,232,807 times
Reputation: 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why don’t y’all manufacture such a product?

We, as a country did at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 AM
 
10,105 posts, read 6,232,807 times
Reputation: 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The American dream means economic opportunity and mobility, with each generation achieving a better standard of living than the one before.

For many Americans, this is no longer a realistic possibility.

The high-paying, low-skilled jobs in manufacturing, mining, etc. are dwindling. Automation is playing a huge part here. Increasingly, decent-paying jobs involve higher levels of skills and education, something that many are simply not capable of.

Just spent some time in a rural area of the country. Teachers told me that the majority of students were not motivated to even attend school, let alone excel as they don't see the point.

Their parents work at various labor and retail jobs and they expect to do the same. The holy grail is a disability check.

In areas where people send their children to charter and private schools, and have college tuition funds earning interest, there is,, of course the dream of upward mobility. How much higher they will get than their parents is anybody's guess.

But for a great many Americans, a good paying job with health insurance and a pension is just not in the cards and they know it.
Interesting. If this were true, why are we seeing middle classes evolving where there was none ? China has some of the most modern machining and tooling plants in the world , yet the Tool and Die industry is a multi hundred billion a year industry. If it was all automated, (and I'm not saying there isn't a lot) why would a middle class be developing ? All that money, and those jobs could have been here.
Instead, when it was time for companies to invest back into their own to modernize as automation developed, they took advantage of what our $_hitty trade deals and sent everything offshore.


I've been involved in the manufacturing industry my whole career and don't know one single person that lost a job due to automation. They simply evolved as the job did. The ones I know that lost their jobs were due to the jobs simply now longer existing. The whole manufacturing jobs were lost due to automation is a bunch of BS. While it might have streamlined the industry some, the single biggest factor is the jobs just moved to another country. Those that lived thru the changes in the industry thru the 60's to the 80's know this to be the truth. Those that were born in the 80's have no clue to what really happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 AM
 
10,105 posts, read 6,232,807 times
Reputation: 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Seriously? Read my last several posts in this thread and RETHINK who it is that can't see the forest for the trees... Under-educated plus perpetually poor = guaranteed Dem voter.
While this might be true, along with it goes the over-educated professional student that has no real world experience or responsibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 AM
 
10,105 posts, read 6,232,807 times
Reputation: 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The American Dream is dead when Bill Clinton and the Democrats pushed for globalization. We were the undisputed and far away the wealthiest country in the world in the 80's. By the time Clinton was through, China and Mexico was catching up with us using our manufacturing expertise and technology against us. Eight years of Obama put us further in a disadvantage.

Thankfully Trump is the first to try to reverse all the damage but he has a lot of work cut out for him due to 16 years of Democrats selling out the country plus 8 years of Bush doing nothing.

While I do agree, the push started long before this.
When the American companies where fat and lazy just raking in the cash thru the 50's they turned their backs on W. Edwards Deming, who would have brought our manufacturing into the modern era and kept us ahead of the rest of the world. Instead they didn't and by the time we realized it, our factories and their capabilities were behind places like Japan and China, were costing money due to inefficient policies and high wages. This drove them to look for ways to make profits without spending money... hence the low cost country alternative.
We now have caught up, and in many cases can manufacture things for less here but too many companies signed into agreements , and have too much invested in low cost countries to make the switch back. That is why Trump is trying to force things, buy making us the low cost alternative. Just like it took investment to take advantage of globalizing it will take investing to start things back up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Minnysoda
8,583 posts, read 8,499,106 times
Reputation: 5151
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The worst part about this, there are NUMEROUS energy alternatives that are much cheaper, but the downside is they cannot be run thru a meter and cannot sustain a large industry to supply and distribute it out, in other words, it would be GREAT for the average Joe, but terrible for Govt and large industry, so they are suppressed, never to see the light of day.

The old high school physics class experiment with the two counter-rotating magnetic rings is enough prove these types of alternative energies exist and they do work.
What exactly are you talking about? What technology? 2 rotating magnetic rings How will that maintain 60hz across the national electric grid Please explain????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 AM
 
10,105 posts, read 6,232,807 times
Reputation: 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually, "when it's all done" things will be like now where MANY nuke plants worth of new electric generation is being installed in the USA each year...and worldwide.

Just like "when it's all done" with efficient cars, I have a 47 MPG Honda Accord which is beautiful, reasonable in price and puts out 1/100th of the cars "the right loves"...you know, those that pollute more...

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the same righties who told us our "freedoms" were being taken away by cutting back on selling 100W incandescent bulbs...now buy the LED models because they are so much more efficient and last longer.

You can take the same in most every sector and the hypocrites fade into the sunset because...no matter how hard they try - they can't bring back cars that put out 100X the pollution.
What is truly amazing is that this seems to upset some of them.

The only explanation is that they were taught they are the only people living on the planet...instead of understand they are 1 of 7 billion plus.

Heck, even the Saudis and Chinese know which way the wind is blowing - only certain American knuckle draggers are fighting for more Coal Rollers...

https://gizmodo.com/report-saudi-ara...-te-1828288394

And oddly enough, in the top 180 largest container ships , the things that are truly contributing to the pollution of our planet not a single American flag flies. Our country accounts for only 15% of the pollution to this planet. Yea globalization though...


How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world | Daily Mail Online


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...ct_of_shipping


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ontainer_ships
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 01:04 PM
 
1,096 posts, read 295,018 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
What exactly are you talking about? What technology? 2 rotating magnetic rings How will that maintain 60hz across the national electric grid Please explain????
Conspiracy theorist. While its true corporate energy giants would LIKE to keep magic bean energy technologies from the people, its absurd to believe they could actually do so with all the govt and private and public university research into it.
I roll my eyes every time I see quotes from that tom beardon guy who touts tesla free energy beams in the sky.
We have been throwing money at the search for magic beans since Carter, almost none of it having any practical use. Nothing wrong with looking for it but they want to tear down what works now as if that solution has arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top