Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,336,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
So... transgenderism can be a successful way to overcome gender dysphoria in that it relieves the stress of (some) people who suffer from it. But gender dysphoria is clearly a mental illness, and "transitioning" is a radical, highly invasive means to a cure. Hopefully better treatments will some day be found.
Yeah, so far as I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,554,126 times
Researcher: 100% of studies that have ranges of 60%-90% in their findings are 100% worthless.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:58 PM

21,407 posts, read 10,493,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I don't have a problem with gay people, but I don't understand why transsexuality isn't treated as a mental disorder. It meets every definition of a mental disorder. Additionally, I don't understand why society is forced to accept this mental disorder as normal. We shouldn't treat transsexuals like scum, but we also shouldn't encourage the behavior and make everyone think it's normal.
Why not? I don’t care what other people do as long as they’re not harming people. If it’s a mental disorder, and the cure is to let them be who they want to be, then who am I to say they can’t do it?

Old 08-23-2018, 11:38 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,728,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Researcher: 100% of studies that have ranges of 60%-90% in their findings are 100% worthless.
see post #39

Old 08-24-2018, 04:32 AM

4,771 posts, read 3,275,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
"Rapid onset gender dysphoria" is a thing now. Teenage girls, who were normal as young children, are now suddenly declaring that they've always really been boys, especially when they have friends doing the same thing.

Brown researcher first to describe rapid-onset gender dysphoria

Myself an ally to the LGBT community and having attended several pride events, it has always been my personal observation that of teens and young adults there are more trans men (female to male) then trans females. Have no idea what the statistics are, but I see what I see.

Of course with some of the more masculine looking girls and the way they dress it is sometimes hard to distinguish lesbians from trans men based on appearance.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:22 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,078,946 times
I googled up "what percentage of transgenders change their minds" and more than a few articles came up.

https://www.newsweek.com/transgender...surgery-676777

https://world.wng.org/content/sex_ch...egret_silenced

https://www.thestranger.com/features...il-they-werent

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a7946426.html

Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,849,108 times
60 to 90%? Wow that is quite a spread. I put that right there with predictions made about next Super Bowl before the first preseason game.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,894,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why not? I don’t care what other people do as long as they’re not harming people. If it’s a mental disorder, and the cure is to let them be who they want to be, then who am I to say they can’t do it?
They should be treated with civility.

And no one should be forced to accept it as normal or teach kids that it is normal.

That's wrong. We don't go around telling people and teaching children that bipolar and schizophrenia and anorexia are normal.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:36 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,728,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
60 to 90%? Wow that is quite a spread. I put that right there with predictions made about next Super Bowl before the first preseason game.
see post #39

Old 08-25-2018, 02:02 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,828,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Oh, there's always more to understand about women. That's a bottomless pit of discovery there.

Haha. Men are a total mystery to me, too. I love the ones in my life though.

Quote:
In a sense you're not, but in a sense, I bet you kind of are. You're dealing with stuff most people don't deal with. I think we have several different layers of reality going on.

Yeah, in that context. certainly. A lot of people aren't sure how to relate to me. A close friend of mine, has known me for a couple years, and still has trouble relating to me when I share certain things with him.

Quote:
Yeah, I've read that's the issue. The goal of sex changes and looking like the anatomical sex you feel like is just to get rid of that negative feeling that results from your mind telling you one thing and your body telling you other things, so far as I read, and so far as I've read, that seems to oftentimes work pretty well.
That is the heart of the issue.

Quote:
That's depends on the circumstances. For example, you can refer to me as "Suzy Mc'Estrogen" constantly, for the next five years, and I'm not going to mind because I'll know you're not intending it as an insult. Many people who would call me a woman would mean in as an insult, so that would make me feel bad. Some people would do it as a mistake. That would temporarily make me feel bad...although if people were constantly make that mistake, I'm nearly certain I'd cease minding it.

But I'm guessing that's different from your circumstance. For me, that would just be a word...nothing...something easy to ignore. For you, presumably, your whole body is telling you something, and your mind is telling you something else, so those contrasting feedbacks are probably going to make you feel a lot more negative feedback than I'd feel from just a mere word...am I right?

It's easier to get past when someone does make a genuine mistake. I was in the ER recently, and the Dr. referred to me as a 'he', I asked her about it, and she was like "Oh my God. I'm so sorry." She felt horrible. I felt bad for her, and told her there was no harm done, though it did sting some. When people do it in an insulting fashion, intentionally and repeatedly, that sets me off.

Quote:

I don't know if I see my gender as that important or not. I don't usually think about it much...but that might be just because there's nothing to routinely challenge my perception of being male.

Of course it is, you just don't think about it much. But you don't have to, your gender isn't constantly being challenged, and no one (without issues themselves) is saying you are delusional for knowing you're a guy (I hope not anyway).

Quote:
And I apologize if I've been too invasive. My brain works in a way where I can shut off the feelings of embarrassment, shame, disgust, loneliness, and sadness, effortlessly.

No harm done, we're good. I wish I could be like that.

Quote:
It's like flicking off a light switch for me. I had to memorize how not to embarrass people, and learn that most people just have to power through that type of pain, rather than being capable of instantly shutting it off like I can do. For example, I literally have no idea why I'm not supposed to tell strangers about the most inner workings of my mind, except I've memorized that such things make most people uncomfortable. I've just watched people's body language to figure out what they find upsetting, oftentimes without having any idea why There's no body language to see here though.

Yeah, people say they value honesty, but I've been known to test that too. There is such a thing as being too honest. I've had to find a balance there, too.

Quote:
You've actually, I think, told me exactly what it's like to be trans. I think you have enough power and knowledge for that. That's just kind of the way things go when you have some kind of condition that's substantially different than what most people experience, I think. I already know about the daily stuff you and I and everyone else goes though. The unique stuff...the stuff that only trans people experience, that's what you've told me about and that's what I was curious about.

I'm glad I was able to help there.

Quote:
Similarly, I can't learn anything of use about Oriental people just from one Oriental person's statements. They're too diverse of a group. I can, however, learn much of use about people with autism, or Tourette's syndrome, merely through listening to one person with autism or Tourette's syndrome, because they have extremely unique circumstances.

Yes, trans people do share common experiences. What bothers one, won't necessarily bother another. The longer I've been out, the thicker my skin has gotten. But some people for whatever reason may not be able to develop that protective 'shielding', I worry about them, because of the greater risk of just giving up with them. I've determined to fight through whatever I have to, to get where I need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies