Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:25 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times

Advertisements

I don’t see the point of reciting a pledge. I’m glad most schools don’t do this any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:01 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
"under God" was added in the 50s, some members of congress thought that communists would refuse to say it and be caught. Yes, they were that dumb.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Atlanta charter school drops morning Pledge of Allegianc

I certainly understand why liberals don't want to pledge allegiance to the flag of this country. Why would you pledge allegiance to a country you are out to destroy??
Why do you so-called “conservatives” wish to pledge subservience to the State and force kids to undergo leftist indoctrination in government schools which are funded by money stolen from others?

Old 08-10-2018, 08:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Why do you so-called “conservatives” wish to pledge subservience to the State and force kids to undergo leftist indoctrination in government schools which are funded by money stolen from others?
I’d like to know that too.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:20 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
One of my best memories of my public school days was having the privilege of standing for the flag with my fellow students and reciting the pledge.
My best memory was lunch and recess.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ool/947378002/

Wow, its sad how many folks are starting to hate simple patriotism.

More like resisting jingoism

Old 08-11-2018, 12:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I agree. These folks don't believe in or have loyalty to anything. Just because they can legally not do the pledge or stand for the anthem doesn't make it right.
I have loyalty to things. I have loyalty to my family, my places of business and yes America, but loyalty is a two way street. At some point, you MIGHT be screwed by one. With America right now as it is under Trump, I'm a white male but I feel that it is not my America at all. There is a lot of hatred and partisan protectionism and corruption in it. Don't get me wrong, both sides are guilty, but the conservatives seem to be worse at this right now. And in a point of clarification I fully didn't agree with Obama especially in the first five and three-quarters years (the 2013 Government Shutdown over ObamaCare) but he didn't divide us, the majority of the Trump loyalists (especially the fringe that Hillary called deplorables) have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. There is no purpose to it. It never made me patriotic and I didn't even pay attention to the words when I was kid - not until I was an adult and realized that it is pretty hypocritical from an historical nature and the reference to God is one that shouldn't even be in it or said at school by children.
I wouldn't say that. I grew up as in the Boy Scout program as a Cub Scout in elementary school, a Boy Scout in middle and high school and even earned the rank of Eagle Scout under President George W. Bush. I knew what it meant from being as involved in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
What is not "right" about not reciting the pledge of allegiance every morning. I haven't regularly recited the pledge of allegiance since high school. Does that make me "wrong" somehow?

How many mornings have you recited the pledge of allegiance this week?
I agree, until I worked in a high school I would only hear it if I listened to 96.3 FM on the radio to work if it was at 6:20 AM in the morning. I worked at a high school and most students (not special education) would stand if not put their hands over their heart (I worked special education but would work in outclasses during announcements) but since I changed to an elementary school, I haven't mainly because of the issues with changing from traditional announcements to web hosted announcements (which I mentioned in an earlier post.) But had I not worked in a school, I wouldn't have recited the pledge since my last Boy Scout functions as an Venture Scout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
One of my best memories of my public school days was having the privilege of standing for the flag with my fellow students and reciting the pledge.
I remember doing it like ten/eleven times a week with the various Boy Scout functions and school I would do in a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
You got that right. Just take a look at what’s happening all over Europe with the migration taking over entire areas and not assimilating and wanting Europe to be just like the hell holes they came from. It’s already been happening here but too many people are too stupid or blind to realize it.
But here is the thing,
Off-Topic Reply:
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is the great thing about charter schools and school choice in general. No one has to go to a charter school. If the kid or parent doesn't like the policy, they can go to some other school.
Yes, but many don't understand school choice who promote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^^

One might conclude that many of the people responding to this thread are at the beach with the number of heads in the sand re your post above .
No, I don't but I realize that you can opt to go to schools though I think people over simplify school choice. It means you can opt-in to traditional public schools, charter schools or private schools (if you can afford it). Vouchers should entirely be needs based if not done away with completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Once you understand charter schools are funded with public money, this argument simply disappears.

Which is another reason education should be completely decoupled from the guv.
No, just no. And this isn't because I work for a pretty good public school district, but a fully privitized school system is flawed. I'm saying this because private schools are not for the middle and lower class. A PUBLIC education is in fact a right.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:08 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Nice. Now let's hope this spreads to every school.
It did decades ago.

Aside from a brief period following 9/11 we never even bothered with pledge when I was in school. Even following 9/11 it's not like it was required. I simply omitted the latest addition to the pledge as I'm not religious and don't believe in anything as silly as communists not being able to say under God.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:09 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,628 times
dumb & sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies