U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 11:29 PM

2,366 posts, read 436,019 times

Advertisements

This is a none story.

Black athletes protesting in the NFL are the business and domain of NFL owners. They can fire them or tolerate them or anything in between. Trump can give his opinion but he cannot force the NFL owners to do anything. Democrats crying about free speech or Trump's words seem not to care about when people are fired from their jobs for voicing right-wing opinions.

I never watched American football and never will but the majority of Football fans are White people in flyover states. Not a lot of latte sipping "White elites" in NYC or San Francisco that watch football and Black people are the minority in this country. If this bothers Trump fans - don't watch football. You will then crush the ratings and get Football owners to pay heed to their customers.

In the meantime I think it's time to remove the national anthem from football games. There is no place for it, putting the national anthem before domestic sporting events is more akin to what banana republics do than what a first world country should be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 12:36 AM

8,353 posts, read 2,416,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
This is a none story.

Black athletes protesting in the NFL are the business and domain of NFL owners. They can fire them or tolerate them or anything in between. Trump can give his opinion but he cannot force the NFL owners to do anything. Democrats crying about free speech or Trump's words seem not to care about when people are fired from their jobs for voicing right-wing opinions.

I never watched American football and never will but the majority of Football fans are White people in flyover states. Not a lot of latte sipping "White elites" in NYC or San Francisco that watch football and Black people are the minority in this country. If this bothers Trump fans - don't watch football. You will then crush the ratings and get Football owners to pay heed to their customers.

In the meantime I think it's time to remove the national anthem from football games. There is no place for it, putting the national anthem before domestic sporting events is more akin to what banana republics do than what a first world country should be doing.
The Anthem isn't the problem. Removing the anthem from the game is not the answer.
The answer is simple. Like most people who work for someone else the athletes agreed to a contract and should be held to it. They can protest 365 days a year. They can protest and speak out whenever they like. Just not while on the clock. The same rules apply to many Americans. WE have dress codes, language restrictions, religion and politics banned in the work place. Good enough for us good enough for the prima donnas.
I stopped watching NFL games because I refuse to support those who take a knee. I recognize their right to feel the way they do, I simply disagree with when they act out. Make their political statements on their own time.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:55 AM

11,507 posts, read 3,146,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump has made this an issue about not respecting the flag in order to rile up his base
It's partially that, but it's also that he likes to troll the media on Twitter and see what the reaction is for the next twelve hours after a Tweet...trying to get people to pay attention to him, of course.

Quote:
He could care less about the real reason. How about we just don't play the anthem before games. That would solve the problem
IIRC, the 'current' (pre controversy) series of events had only been in place since 2009.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:40 AM

14,499 posts, read 22,347,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What are they protesting this season?
Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
... This is nothing more than theater and attention whoring.

Shelby Steele said it best in his article in the WSJ:
We blacks are, today, a free people. It is as if freedom sneaked up and caught us by surprise.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 5,006,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Everybody has said their piece. This went on all last season.

At this point it’s time for people to agree to disagree and move on. I can’t believe this is still a thing.
Are we going to play the game where we pretend to not know why it's still "a thing"?

Trump has singlehandedly caused this to manifest into the matter that it is, and he's continually maintained it, even to now (preseason NFL).

Old 08-11-2018, 04:31 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,365,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
If only it were about Americans, but it isn't. It's about races. Everything nowadays is about races because that keeps us divided.
That's a lie. I helped start this Movement. I've spoken extensively about the DNC and BLM. Next.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,365,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why would anyone think there is anything patriotic about a POS that ripped hopeful American entrepreneurs off of their savings at a bogus university? I could never figure that one out and no Trump fan has ever explained.
Very true too. And I like how you tied in morality (seriously). I believe you have to actually care about... Americans... to claim your patriotic to America.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:54 AM

17,630 posts, read 11,091,928 times
Suddenly, Donald Trump is Mr Patriot. He is all upset because he sees some football players kneeling, but he didn't hesitate to kneel in front of Putin and tell him our own intelligence and justice people are crooked and lying.

Of the two, I find the football players less of a threat to our national security and image than the President making damaging comments to a foreign leader who is actively engaging in attacks on our country every day.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:30 AM

36,496 posts, read 15,983,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Are the people who passionately defend white supremacist freedom of (hate) speech, the same as those appalled by NFL players simply kneeling and raising fists? I think so

But they are unequivalent issues. The NFL players are simply saying: yo, police, quit needlessly targeting and/or killing black people. The alt-righties are saying: we do not accept non-white people living in the US and want our hatred to grow into a political movement to change the values of the USA.

The former is sensible and justified, the latter is a perversion based on selfishness, self-importance and hatred.
"The NFL players are simply saying: yo, police, quit needlessly targeting and/or killing black people."

Just out of curiosity, what did ALL these players do during the off season for this "cause"?

Did they meet with local police, with local mayors, etc, to try to iron out these perceived problem?

Or are they just like they act on the field after caching a pass, etc. showing off in front of the TV camera seeking attention, displaying unsportsmanlike?

Look at me, ain't I GREAT!

Al they want is to get their face on TV.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:40 AM

36,496 posts, read 15,983,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
The problem is the awareness comes with expectations of collective guilt on the part of white people. I watch football for entertainment. That isn't entertaining, so why watch? I'm told all day in the media that I'm a horrible person because I'm white. I need to hear it during a football game too? Why do I want to watch rich men who resent me for my skin color playing sports? I have better things to do than that.
"The problem is the awareness comes with expectations of collective guilt on the part of white people."

This is about as racist a statement I haves ever read on here.

Why should "white people" feel any guilt because some hood thug get shot while dealing in drugs?

MOST of these perceived incidents, i remember michael brown and all the hoopla only to find out HE was the guilty one, happen in inner cities areas, where MOST OF THE CRIME IS COMMITTED.

Being YOU are the EXPERT, how about YOU giving us tre numbers on these types of incidents?

If it is such a "racial" thing, who do so many WHITES watch BLACK players? A "racist" would NOT do so!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 08-11-2018 at 06:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies