Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 02:23 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times

Advertisements

this OP was proven wrong about this claim many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 06:11 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have to at least acknowledge the irony of the bitter fight between Hillary and Obama 2008 election damaging her standing with black voters. (her campaign and supporters were also repeatedly labeled racist)

Possibly by enough to have tipped the election to Trump in 2016.

Now as others have noted, I don't see black votes fleeing to Trump in a 2020 re-match but rather just sitting the election out in disgust.

(I can understand that sentiment, I didn't vote for either)
I have never been a fan of Hilary Clinton. This whole crap regarding race, however, only started being revealed to me in relatively recent times. I never knew that Hilary Clinton worked for Barry Goldwater, someone who was against the Civil Rights Act. I found this out because Bernie Sanders was running for the Democratic Primary and it was found that he had ties to the Civil Rights movement.

I understand many voters stayed home during the election, especially male voters. Hilary Clinton wasn't that great of a candidate. Trump isn't getting more Black voters. His "percentage" is influenced by a relative drop in voter participation. And for the midterms, more people came out to vote. Less support for Republicans.

The numbers at the election polls say that Trump is not getting a surge in Black support.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:50 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,824,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm not a big one for pollsters, but in this case, it was commissioned by the NAACP. If it is true, it means pure disaster for the Democrat party. One of their primary tools, race huckstering, is being neutered.
If Trump is even able to snag 15 percent of the black vote in 2020, the Democrat will have almost no chance.
NAACP Poll: Black Americans’ Support for Donald Trump Surges
Breitbart?? REALLY?? Almost funny!

Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Breitbart?? REALLY?? Almost funny!
I heard a quote years ago. I don't know who said it, but it goes like this: "I only debate my intellectual equals. Everyone else, I teach". I should be abiding by that. Some of the persons on this thread are not worth debating. They are also unteachable. Said persons don't want to learn. They just want to be told what they want to hear.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
this OP was proven wrong about this claim many times.
It seems to be an obsession with the OP.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I heard a quote years ago. I don't know who said it, but it goes like this: "I only debate my intellectual equals. Everyone else, I teach". I should be abiding by that. Some of the persons on this thread are not worth debating. They are also unteachable. Said persons don't want to learn. They just want to be told what they want to hear.
Here's my take: I don't expect a whole lot of folks who put up ridiculous nonsense to be persuaded by my words. Instead, I ridicule their words to show how absurd they are to others who are either undecided or on the fence. Kind of like what Casey Stengel said about managing a team - keep the five guys who hate you away from the five who are undecided.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:15 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Were these poll results before or AFTER Kanye pulled his approval of Trump?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Here's my take: I don't expect a whole lot of folks who put up ridiculous nonsense to be persuaded by my words. Instead, I ridicule their words to show how absurd they are to others who are either undecided or on the fence. Kind of like what Casey Stengel said about managing a team - keep the five guys who hate you away from the five who are undecided.
I get your tactic. I also think in these terms. Ridiculing their words and getting others to see their fallacies can turn undecided against the hateful. I have also considered my own tactic. The idea I have had is to prove said persons wrong, to make said person look like a liar. A person can say anything, but if said person is found to be a liar, all credibility is gone.

I get what you're talking about with Casey Stengel. Keep those that hate you away from those that have no opinion. It gets difficult when those that hate you have a big megaphone or have the loudest voices. They will try to influence the undecided.

I also want to get back to proving said persons wrong. I tend to forget that this is not a debate. You can only debate those who are on the same level as you. And you can only teach those who are willing to learn. We're dealing with individuals who won't learn and who are vehement about broadcasting their own lies. We would have to view said persons the way we view criminals. Think of this: A criminal can have the evidence presented, including video footage showing their bad deed. The jury sees the evidence, and the judge sees it. The criminal is proven to be guilty, but the criminal won't admit it.

It works the same with the bigots and racists here on CD. We know they are bigots and racists. Their words say it. When you show proof of their bigoted ways, said persons will deny it all, and then claim things like "political correctness" and the like.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Were these poll results before or AFTER Kanye pulled his approval of Trump?
I think the NAACP poll results came BEFORE Kanye pulled his support of Trump.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:27 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I get your tactic. I also think in these terms. Ridiculing their words and getting others to see their fallacies can turn undecided against the hateful. I have also considered my own tactic. The idea I have had is to prove said persons wrong, to make said person look like a liar. A person can say anything, but if said person is found to be a liar, all credibility is gone.

I get what you're talking about with Casey Stengel. Keep those that hate you away from those that have no opinion. It gets difficult when those that hate you have a big megaphone or have the loudest voices. They will try to influence the undecided.

I also want to get back to proving said persons wrong. I tend to forget that this is not a debate. You can only debate those who are on the same level as you. And you can only teach those who are willing to learn. We're dealing with individuals who won't learn and who are vehement about broadcasting their own lies. We would have to view said persons the way we view criminals. Think of this: A criminal can have the evidence presented, including video footage showing their bad deed. The jury sees the evidence, and the judge sees it. The criminal is proven to be guilty, but the criminal won't admit it.

It works the same with the bigots and racists here on CD. We know they are bigots and racists. Their words say it. When you show proof of their bigoted ways, said persons will deny it all, and then claim things like "political correctness" and the like.
Oh, exactly. Truth and logic are disinfectants to bigotry, ignorance and gaslighting. You gotta find your own style in dealing with the trolls and those who are talking nonsense. Tulemutt on the California forums is a master at tweaking those whose arguments are mush, in a very lighthearted way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies