Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:22 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

It's fascinating.
  • The LA Times has refused to participate in the Boston Globe's coordinated attack on Trump. They say what they put in their paper won't be dictated by others.
  • The LA Times also ran the only ongoing newspaper poll in 2016 which consistently predicted that Trump would win the election.
  • Many of the same people here who applaud the Boston Globe's actions, also said the LA Times Poll was bogus.
Speaks for itself. Derangement isn't a pretty thing.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
The "press" dislikes that someone is saying what half the nation is thinking. How ironic.

If these propaganda outlets were actually worried about what how they are perceived, they would instead be working to combat their negative image with the nation that they are working tirelessly to propagandize.

Instead, they launch a coordinated assault on the one guy who notices and has a microphone. Because they dislike that someone with a microphone has noticed their nature. These people are lower than dirt, and their own worst enemy. Moreover, there is no reversing their image.
That someone who you refer to (Donald J. Trump) has told a documented 3000 lies since taking office, and you believe every one of them. And so does the rest of his base.

Thinking people expect the truth from the free press. You expect lies, that's why you watch Fox News.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:28 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That someone who you refer to (Donald J. Trump) has told a documented 3000 lies since taking office, and you believe every one of them. And so does the rest of his base.
Hi, welcome to the United States. You must be new here. Allow me to give you a brief orientation:

Whenever a new POTUS is sworn in, the opposition begins counting his "lies". It happens in every administration, the count reaches a high number quickly to sound impressive, and indeed the number is always bandied about as if it is some kind of factual hammer that all argument must shrink against. Of course, the number is context free, like it is here, and of course contains all of the biases of the opposition.

Its basically the equivalent of calling a very powerful man a "poopy head". It means as much. Most people stop using it early on. That you are here using it 2 years in must mean that you are exceedingly desperate to make a case that you don't have.

Quote:
Thinking people expect the truth from the free press.
1. Fallacious framing: an attempt at a false dichotomy. Who are "thinking people", exactly? Those who watch CNN or even NPR? Don't make us roll on the floor with laughter.

Moreover, who are the "free press" exactly? Your party's propaganda arm? You know that using words doesn't make them true, correct? Perception is what is true. Right now, your "free press" is widely viewed as state propaganda. And it is.

Quote:
You expect lies, that's why you watch Fox News.
Oh okay, right, people (including me) "expect lies".

Are you an example of what we are up against? What a huge relief.

And not that it is any of your business, but I don't watch Fox News. Why you are losing is that you have a lampoonish concept of your opponents. Because you are disconnected from America. Whereas I know exactly what I am up against, their habits, how they think, what they feel, and what they believe. Because I used to be one of you. You're cooked, if for no other reason than your ignorance. Trust me.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Trump labeled the news media “the enemy of the American people” a month after taking the oath of office. In the year that followed, a CNN analysis concluded, he used the word “fake” — as in “fake news,” “fake stories,” “fake media” or “fake polls” — more than 400 times. He once fumed, the New York Times reported, because a TV on Air Force One was tuned to CNN.

The rally calls for the opinion writers that staff newspaper editorial boards to produce independent opinion pieces about Trump’s attacks on the media. So far, according to the Associated Press, 70 news organizations have agreed — from large metropolitan daily newspapers such as the Miami Herald and Denver Post to small weekly newspapers with four-digit circulation numbers.
“The problem, of course, is that there is war on the press being conducted by the president of the United States and his supporters. To say otherwise would violate a different commandment. Yes, it’s imperative to keep your cool. It is equally imperative to state what is true.”
‘Not the enemy of the people’: 70 news organizations will blast Trump’s attack on the media

IMO, what they should do, is totally BOYCOTT, THE NON-HUMAN SCUM! Never report ANYTHING on IT!
I would love to see NOTHING REPORTED reported on IT, UNTIL IT'S THROWN OUT OF OUR WHITE HOUSE!
Your candidate lost. You're not in charge, and your opinions are falling on deaf ears. Noone cares what liberal newspapers think.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The dream of every authoritarian banana republic. To have their own people turn against the news.
Yeah, sorry, making up what "every dream of a banana republic is" doesn't make it so. The "news" is not a hallowed institution above the people. In fact, the press has a long and storied history of being used for state propaganda against the freedom and other political interests of the people.

That you defend the news above the people's perception of it puts you in the company of almost every dictator. And, in those "Banana Republics", the news is always on the side of the oppressor state. Thus, your spin in regard to how the news is being viewed most closely resembles the oppressor power dynamic in actual "Banana Republics". Not the people's distrust of what they view to be propaganda.

Quote:
Some of the folks here are shameful.
Yes, yes, "keep believing the propaganda organ or feel shame". We've got it. Trust us when we state that being shamed by you is a legitimate badge of honor.

Quote:
Congratulations Trump, you've torn down one of the fundamental pillars of our society and government.
LOL! We've been critical of the press for decades and especially in the last administration and before Trump was president. He didn't "tear down" anything. It it weren't true, the people would not believe it.

The fault for this lies squarely with the press, and only the press. Trying to shift blame to someone else, for giving a spotlight to long-time reality, is strictly Orwellian.

No one is fat because someone notices. The press is a corrupt propaganda arm because they are a corrupt propaganda arm. Not because Trump noticed that fact.

Quote:
Jefferson would be ashamed to see this.
-Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson never expected to see the press be a communist propaganda arm, largely owned and / or run by one ethnic group who works tirelessly to repress the majority, to change the social norms to be unrecognizable, to overturn legitimate elections, and to support mass third world immigration and a slow walk toward an effective eradication of borders.

The so called "free press", who work together for one political agenda and are largely linked through giant conglomerates, does not resemble anything that Jefferson would have recognized or approved of. So, save your historical appeals and concern trolling for people who can't recognize illegitimate rhetorical tactics.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:53 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's fascinating.
  • The LA Times has refused to participate in the Boston Globe's coordinated attack on Trump. They say what they put in their paper won't be dictated by others.
  • The LA Times also ran the only ongoing newspaper poll in 2016 which consistently predicted that Trump would win the election.
  • Many of the same people here who applaud the Boston Globe's actions, also said the LA Times Poll was bogus.
Speaks for itself. Derangement isn't a pretty thing.

Well, let us see what said paper said:

"This is not because we don’t believe that President Trump has been engaged in a cynical, demagogic and unfair assault on our industry. He has, and we have written about it on numerous occasions. As early as April 2017, we wrote this as part of a full-page editorial on “Trump’s War on Journalism”:

“Trump’s strategy is pretty clear: By branding reporters as liars, he apparently hopes to discredit, disrupt or bully into silence anyone who challenges his version of reality. By undermining trust in news organizations and delegitimizing journalism and muddling the facts so that Americans no longer know who to believe, he can deny and distract and help push his administration’s far-fetched storyline.”

We still believe that. Nevertheless, the editorial board decided not to write about the subject on this particular Thursday because we cherish our independence."

Hmm. Seems that you neglected to quote that part. Odd, since you are so devoted to 'truth'.

Trump: outplayed by Omarosa.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:04 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah. Would Trump even know what to do with a bridle? If he ever was one for the ponies, I doubt that it included actually mounting one. The guy looks like he'd need a stepladder (a forklift?) to get up on a horse now anyway. It's probably from all that golf (with cart, of course), too many 'burgers 'n' fries, all day watching Fox TV, all night Twitter raging …

Frankly, I think Trump finds office to be boring. Everyone in his inner circle apparently bows & scrapes to him anyway - so what's the diff? He can't do exactly what he'd like to do, unlike his time as the front man for Trump Co. I expect him to chuck it all & retreat into golden obscurity, & eke out a pauper-billionaire's life with a measly few hundred help to peel his grapes for him.
Is this the best you could come up with? Seriously?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
So here are my questions.

1) How many different corporations own the majority of these newspapers?

2) What do they stand to make in terms of ratings and profits with this "news" and will it help them carve market share away from the corporation that owns the pro-Trump media outlets?

How many of you have ever worked for a corporation with a CEO and shareholders? This is not rocket science folks. Corporations are as predictable as the sun rising and setting in their motivations and actions.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
The media is protesting too much - they know they are wrong.

No one is shutting down the press. No one is telling them that they can't write what they write. That does not exclude them from critique from anyone. They don't like that they are being critiqued, so they publicly cried and threw a tantrum.

Yeah, that's really going to get me to believe them now.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:35 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
And not that it is any of your business, but I don't watch Fox News. Why you are losing is that you have a lampoonish concept of your opponents. Because you are disconnected from America. Whereas I know exactly what I am up against, their habits, how they think, what they feel, and what they believe. Because I used to be one of you. You're cooked, if for no other reason than your ignorance. Trust me.
Ha Ha Ha Ha !!

"Trust me", that's what Trump tells you, and you diligently believe every lie he tells you.

I've been saying for years on this forum, the Dumbing Down of America is deliberate, targeted, and highly successful.

And I don't know what you "used to be", but I know what you are now.

Read. Think. Learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies