Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 12:55 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,888,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Conservatism has been dead for a Lonnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggg time.

It's been replaced with far-right ideology mixed with tax cut for the rich. Gone were the days of smaller government, capitalism, business-friendliness. Nowadays conservatism is about anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-Muslim, anti anybody who is a minority, anti-FBI, anti-science, anti-education, anti-intelligence, tariff, protectionism, isolationism, pro-white, and pro-lies.

I'm not even sure I'd call many Trump supporters right wing. Tarrifs? That has traditionally been left wing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Lightbulb Is Conservativism basically over?

Of course not.

It's just mutated into an uglier, more malignant movement dominated by hate radio devotees.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:45 AM

16,403 posts, read 8,482,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Conservatism has been dead for a Lonnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggg time.

It's been replaced with far-right ideology mixed with tax cut for the rich. Gone were the days of smaller government, capitalism, business-friendliness. Nowadays conservatism is about anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-Muslim, anti anybody who is a minority, anti-FBI, anti-science, anti-education, anti-intelligence, tariff, protectionism, isolationism, pro-white, and pro-lies.

More leftist tribe and mischaracterization.

Just because liberal activists have kept up their left wing agenda to try and normalize their kooky beliefs, does not mean moderates/conservatives can be characterized in the negative.

Also, as I have pointed out many times, it is not moderates/conservatives (and by extension Republicans) that have gone hard right, it is liberals (and by extension Democrats) who have gone hard left.
But no one needs to take my word for it, all they need to do is go back to the late 90's during Bill Clinton's last election and see what the DNC platform was. Then look at what it is today.

If you do the same with the RNC, things will be pretty much the same.
But to a liberal/leftist, any opposition to their radical agenda, is being far-right.

The funny thing is that you'll actually believe that labeling people _____ist or _____phobe or ______ still has the same sting it use to. The trouble for you is many have caught on to your PC weaponized games of speech/thought suppression, and the leftist MSM that carries your water.
I would also note how you make it seem as if anything not within your belief system is anti-minority, yet you also list being pro-white as something bad.
Yes we understand you think being pro-minority (whatever that is suppose to encompass) is good. Yet being pro-white is bad in your own self loathing mixed up view.

`

Old 08-15-2018, 01:13 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,064,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
More leftist tribe and mischaracterization.

Just because liberal activists have kept up their left wing agenda to try and normalize their kooky beliefs, does not mean moderates/conservatives can be characterized in the negative.

Also, as I have pointed out many times, it is not moderates/conservatives (and by extension Republicans) that have gone hard right, it is liberals (and by extension Democrats) who have gone hard left.
But no one needs to take my word for it, all they need to do is go back to the late 90's during Bill Clinton's last election and see what the DNC platform was. Then look at what it is today.

`
I remember when Republicans claimed to be for "fiscal responsibility". "Balanced budgets". Of course it was obvious BS but now they don't even make a pretense of it. They don't even mention the words.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:28 PM

19,649 posts, read 9,192,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

But to a liberal/leftist, any opposition to their radical agenda, is being far-right.
I definitely agree with most the above, although the Republicans didn't begin to get more religion-oriented until about 1980. Before then, I think that most people considered Republicans to be the party of business and conservative well-off whites who were against changing the status quo -- but not necessarily the party of homophobes, racists and bible-thumpers.

I have NEVER voted for a Republican POTUS candidate, and the last time I voted for a Democrat was in 2008; in 2012, I voted for Jill Stein (Green Party) and I voted for Gary Johnson (Libertarian) in 2016. I think it is a sad state of affairs when so-called third parties have more appeal to an old-fashioned senior like me than either of the two major parties do.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-15-2018 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 01:36 PM

30,740 posts, read 21,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Far left progressive types are dumber than a bag of hammers. I'm a middle of the road guy and if anything more and more of us types are starting to lean right, or at last thinking the right is a bit more on the sane side. Far leftist idealogy is not jiving with a lot of people.
Im with you Chow. I was a Dem from a JFK Dem family, and the party left us.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,928,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I agree the biggest problem with the dems is catering to the rich and looking down on working people all around the US. However thats not a left thing to do thats a right wing thing to do. The dems moved further to the right because the rich that donate to the party wanted it. Culturally wealthy liberals are nothing like working class americans.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,263,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
That’s probably because your stuck in the 50’s and 60’s. Get with the times man! Things can’t always stay the same. Conservatism will always exist because people are afraid of change.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:50 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,928,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
That’s probably because your stuck in the 50’s and 60’s. Get with the times man! Things can’t always stay the same. Conservatism will always exist because people are afraid of change.
Conservatism is the brake system in car useful in small doses but to much and the car will not progress...

Old 08-15-2018, 02:10 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
I have been looking at statistics on birth data on Wikipedia. For the two largest states with Conservative-leaning politics, Florida and Texas, the percentages of non-Hispanic White births are only 44% and 34%:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Florida

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Texas

I think it is hard to dispute that GOP is now ideologically the party of Trump, through and through. I also think it is hard to dispute that Trumpism is overwhelmingly a non-Hispanic White ideology. Sure, you'll get a few celebreties challenge the trend but those are flukes that further prove the rule.

So it seems inevitable to me that after nearly complete surrender of Republicans to Trump, it is only a question of time that Conservative politics will die at the federal level. I really don't see Republicans controlling either Executive or Legislative branches of Government in 15-20 years from now. The only way for that to happen is for the US go South African with majority-minority being deprived of civil rights by a police state.

I therefore cannot help but concude that we are now observing the funeral pyre of American Conservative politics. Bright and hot, but almost out of fuel.

Am I missing anything?
You're counting young Cuban-Americans in living in Florida as the future of the Democratic Party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies