Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Not something I would have done but they committed no crime and were victims of people who don't follow the non-aggression principle.

Pretty sad.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:11 AM

257 posts, read 177,505 times
Hold up, this couple sounds naive, and even ill-prepared for the trip, but there is a dishonest impression being given here that they deliberately rode into ISIS controlled territory to try to prove a point or something. They were in Tajikistan, which does not have any ISIS controlled territory. The US State Department currently has Tajikistan at a Level 2 Travel Advisory. There are four levels of Travel Advisory;

1 a Exercise normal precautions
2 - Exercise increased precautions
3 - Reconsider travel
4 - Do not travel

Again, Tajikistan is under a Level 2, exercise increased precautions, the same level as Mexico. Before these two were killed, the only specifics to the Level 2 travel advisory were to avoid large public gatherings and avoid drawing attention to yourself.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:05 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
I traveled the same trip to prove humans are *******s. Came out unscathed.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:07 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Darwin gets another win

Old 08-16-2018, 02:14 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Why didn't they combine their career goals with their love for traveling? I know all different kinds of engineers that travel the world stepping in where the supply of local engineers is too small or too inadequately educated (third world countries) to build/repair/maintain infrastructure. And I'm talking just basic life necessities like running a single water line source to a village (with a treatment system as necessary), etc.

Seems to me the couple in the OP were being excessively self-centered.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:27 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
??? Some of us have to work to eat and have shelter. I would call that necessary.
You're missing the real point there.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:46 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
It could just as easily have happened no matter where they were in the world

London Terrorist Attack 8/14

Old 08-16-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It could just as easily have happened no matter where they were in the world

London Terrorist Attack 8/14
True enough. I was at the Haad Rin (Thailand) Full Moon Party in late December 2012 just days before a British tourist was killed there at the New years Eve party in a cross-gang (Thais) shootout.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:04 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
First, they didn't deserve to die, especially that way, and it's tragic.

But "meh," I'm not too impressed by this couple. Good for them that they had nothing tying them down and they can travel the world. However, their lifestyle seemed to be made possible by the fact that others have remained gainfully employed, probably in "boring" jobs where sunset gazing wasn't on the schedule. Their travels included stayed in "nice warm beds" in various guest houses and AirBnBs, often gratis. Or in public campgrounds, paid for by the citizens of some poorer nation. Where do they think these accommodations came from? They received supplies because Mom and Dad traveled to Macedonia to visit them and bring a care package of stuff. Gee, Mom and Dad had money to fly around the world at their disposal. Maybe from a "boring" job? They also solicited donations on their website.

And their impressive Georgetown U educations were gotten because someone either worked to pay the tuition or others worked to pay for the taxes and scholarships that make the education possible.

What really strikes me is how arrogant Jay seemed in his blog posts. Arguing with a security guard who told the couple it wasn't safe to camp where they were. Gee you think the "locals" aren't as knowledgable about their areas as you? Isn't this why people think American tourists are arrogant?

I was much more impressed by Jay's job at HUD and what could be accomplished there. Biking on an open-ended vacation and enjoying tea with the locals? Not so much.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
First, they didn't deserve to die, especially that way, and it's tragic.

But "meh," I'm not too impressed by this couple. Good for them that they had nothing tying them down and they can travel the world. However, their lifestyle seemed to be made possible by the fact that others have remained gainfully employed, probably in "boring" jobs where sunset gazing wasn't on the schedule. Their travels included stayed in "nice warm beds" in various guest houses and AirBnBs, often gratis. Or in public campgrounds, paid for by the citizens of some poorer nation. Where do they think these accommodations came from? They received supplies because Mom and Dad traveled to Macedonia to visit them and bring a care package of stuff. Gee, Mom and Dad had money to fly around the world at their disposal. Maybe from a "boring" job? They also solicited donations on their website.

And their impressive Georgetown U educations were gotten because someone either worked to pay the tuition or others worked to pay for the taxes and scholarships that make the education possible.

What really strikes me is how arrogant Jay seemed in his blog posts. Arguing with a security guard who told the couple it wasn't safe to camp where they were. Gee you think the "locals" aren't as knowledgable about their areas as you? Isn't this why people think American tourists are arrogant?
That. ^ Plus 111! People just don't get it. And they end up paying with their lives. /SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies