Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 AM

652 posts, read 340,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1.. View Post
trump is responsible for the downfall of america ,trump and the people that support him.
yawn😴
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 01:16 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Trump is responsible for the downfall of America ,trump and the people that support him.
Before people talk about downfall, I think they should clarify what THEY mean by "downfall". Economic downturn, loss of world opinion, loss of hope, societal discord, or what?

I personally think that the U.S. is in a downfall in almost all ways, but what concerns me most is the increase in race-based violence. Although the start of that cannot be blamed on any one POTUS -- the slave trade was established well before 1776 -- there was plenty of white racism in all parts of the U.S. before the Civil War. I think that OPEN hostilities shown by blacks to whites started with Reconstruction under Andrew Johnson, gained steam for decades after that (due in large part to most POTUSes turning a blind eye to such things as lynchings and KKK activities), subsided a bit under FDR (thanks to influence of Eleanor Roosevelt), and then subsided a bit more under JFK and LBJ until the the 1965 Watts riot. However, after 1970 or so, open hostilities continued to decrease until Obama had been in office about a year or so, at which time both black and white racism roared back to life -- at least in my opinion -- and this just got worse after Trump was elected.

What people tend to forget is that 43% of non-Hispanic whites voted for Barack Obama, a not-100-percent-white person, in 2008, although this figure went down to 39% in 2012. I think that the only explanation for this is that although many whites were willing to give Obama a chance in 2008, quite a few of them changed their minds about him after he had been in office for four years. After Obama's reelection, racial hostilities continued to escalate, and as a result, Trump was elected in 2016. I think that if it there had been a Trump-Obama election in 2008, Trump would have beaten by a much greater margin than McCain was (and I don't think that McCain was a better choice than Romney, and he might have even been the more appealing choice to Independents and/or Moderates).

https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/poll...ps-voted-2008/

https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/poll...ps-voted-2012/

Now all that being said, I truly do think there was much less openly-expressed racism in the last quarter of the 20th century than there is now -- but I might very possibly be wrong because racism-fueled incidents are much more publicized now. (I personally have not heard ANY white person use a derogatory name for a black person or express any bigoted opinions about blacks in general for decades -- not since I lived in Alabama for six months in 1973; and I have lived in predominantly white areas for all my life in four different states since then: California, Ohio, Maine, and Colorado.)

*and this opinion is based only on what I have read and my personal observation for the past 55 or so years.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:54 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
B
I think that the only explanation for this is that although many whites were willing to give Obama a chance in 2008, quite a few of them changed their minds about him after he had been in office for four years. After Obama's reelection, racial hostilities continued to escalate, and as a result, Trump was elected in 2016. I think that if it there had been a Trump-Obama election in 2008, Trump would have beaten by a much greater margin than McCain was (and I don't think that McCain was a better choice than Romney, and he might have even been the more appealing choice to Independents and/or Moderates).
Are you implying a white voter for Obama in 2008 changed their minds in 2012 because of race? IMHO people changed their minds but it had nothing to with race...Obama was popular and charismatic but let's face it, he wasn't a very good executive and after four years people recognized that. All the stuff Trump is doing to fix the economy Obama could've done...but he didn't because it didn't fit his ideology with the result that America economically suffered unnecessarily for eight years.

I won't deny race was an issue in 2016 but it wasn't the reason Trump was elected. 2016 was a straight-up pocketbook election. People looked at Hillary and realized she was hardly the person to salvage the economy, despite her Wall St connections. Hell, she could barely walk half the time.

And btw, you don't get to be a billionaire in NYC being a racist...that's just more left wing drivel from the MSM.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:51 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
And TRUTH is no friend of the left.
Nor is it a friend of the right. Truth and politics are a no-no it doesn’t matter what party your referring too.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:10 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,115,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
This.

No reason 536 people should have absolute rule over 330 million.
Yet the Team Blue and Team Red losers actually believe those 536 people have their best interests in mind.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:11 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,115,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
You're sadly disillusioned. The downfall of America started with LBJ, further expanded under Bill Clinton, and then Bushes to some extent, and really gained steam under Obama.
The downfall of America actually began with the Whiskey Rebellion in 1791. Lincoln mortally wounded it, and Wilson put the wooden stake through its heart.

America has been dead since 1913.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:47 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I don't suppose you could provide some evidence that "the right" has messed up the job of President so bad its not fixable?
Of course not. This is typical of those who simply hate Donald Trump, and will claim anything. But they ignore the corruption of the last person to have held the office, who weaponized every agency against the American people, and especially against conservatives, and anyone who opposed his policies.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:36 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Your headline is misleading and inaccurate.

One person's opinion does not speak for an entire group; and do we know for certain the author is a liberal?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times
These threads, whether from the left or right, are sadly pathetic with the finger pointing and childish rants and comments across the fence. No matter from which one-sided thread, many posters make themselves look like ranting little babies who themselves have no clue how the world works. It's as if those posters think it's a 100 to 0 game where they are perfect and the other side knows nothing. Quotes from this thread alone:
  • Poor libs.
  • This should serve to prove they are clueless about why we have a President in the first place. Most liberals don't even understand the concept of a republic vs. democracy.
  • There’s long been a strong feeling of hatred for this country from the left .
  • Anyone notice how the left wants to abolish everything . Instead of creating and building ?
  • We're far more honest than you Obama cultists.
  • The typical mindless chant from the left.

Some logical quotes, understanding it's all about a balancing act with 300+ million individuals living in this country all with there own set of values:
  • BOTH parties have messed up the entire system so bad, that is the real story.
  • It's a single opinion article in a newspaper, the equivalent of a 'letter to the editor'. Misrepresentation much ?
  • Loonies all around..

Why people can't understand there has been and will always be good and bad from the left and right. Period. History proves it, and if you don't see that, then there is nothing to discuss. Thread after thread of I'm right and you're wrong with childish name calling and not much objective viewpoints. Post after post of perceived absolutes of one side (left or right) that should disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies