Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:36 PM

33,835 posts, read 16,852,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Improbable - There were only 2 cases in PA which were chargeable. That will be the pattern. Maybe if they can find some recent cases that were covered up. But that is unlikely - Obvious the RCC stopped the record keeping, at least locally, in 2002.
I expect the big change will be an end to Statue of Limitations, and an end to being able to discharge sexual abuse suits in Bankruptcy Court.

You change the RCC mostly via $$$$$$, not jail. Add in Boston lost 66 parishes over it-I bet Pa loses hundreds. Fewer sheep attending, plus payouts to victims.

Australia is going to court to omit sanctity of confessional as excuse not to turn perps in, btw. USA will do same after a few more massive Pa pedophilia scandals come to light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 12:46 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,260,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I expect the big change will be an end to Statue of Limitations, and an end to being able to discharge sexual abuse suits in Bankruptcy Court.

You change the RCC mostly via $$$$$$, not jail. Add in Boston lost 66 parishes over it-I bet Pa loses hundreds. Fewer sheep attending, plus payouts to victims.

Australia is going to court to omit sanctity of confessional as excuse not to turn perps in, btw. USA will do same after a few more massive Pa pedophilia scandals come to light.
Again highly improbable and even if it happened prior offenses would not be effected. Civil suits may have some impact as you suggest. But they will become very difficult as no records will be found.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Again highly improbable and even if it happened prior offenses would not be effected. Civil suits may have some impact as you suggest. But they will become very difficult as no records will be found.
Records (internal) will not be needed. The RCC history will sway juries against them. That is why they try to settle. Smart lawyers like Mitch Garabedian will say no.

There are now many nations seeking to do things legally that trouble Vatican City, and when VC is not happy, children in the future are safer.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times
Quote:

They won't find anything anyway. I posted earlier in this and other threads that the Holy See ordered them all to destroy any documents /testimony with regard to sexual abuse, or send them to Rome for the purpose of immunity.

My guess is that the evil Benedict mandated that. When he was named in a lawsuit he was immune as a head of state. That's why he opted to remain in the Vatican. Nobody can touch him there.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,260,980 times
Quote:
Records (internal) will not be needed. The RCC history will sway juries against them. That is why they try to settle. Smart lawyers like Mitch Garabedian will say no.

There are now many nations seeking to do things legally that trouble Vatican City, and when VC is not happy, children in the future are safer.
Nope. Got to show the RCC had knowledge and aided or abetted. Without records or testimony that will be very tough.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
They won't find anything anyway. I posted earlier in this and other threads that the Holy See ordered them all to destroy any documents /testimony with regard to sexual abuse, or send them to Rome for the purpose of immunity.

My guess is that the evil Benedict mandated that. When he was named in a lawsuit he was immune as a head of state. That's why he opted to remain in the Vatican. Nobody can touch him there.
I do think changes will come. Not due to a change of heart, but I suspect Pa & NY Grand Jury report to come to come will financially make the Boston affect seem pithy to the church financially.

It will also make the RCC an easy target for district attorneys. Notice the extensive press coverage they sought knowing they could only try 2. That was not accidental. They know how the publicity empties church pews, long term. Boston closed 66 parishes.

Try them publicly. That destroys what RCC is about - $$$$$.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Nope. Got to show the RCC had knowledge and aided or abetted. Without records or testimony that will be very tough.
Wrong. Civil cases btw are usually decided via a simple majority, and there is no "innocent until proven guilty", but its more like "probably guilty" in real life.

That is why RCC likes to settle. Also because when they do not settle, judgments end up many times greater.

Plus the press will cover every detail, every lawsuit, and the publicity will harm trying to keep sheep in the pews.

The RCC is exposed. With or w/o your consent.

My region has a small % of the RCC churches and schools it had just 30 years ago. And the parking lots of those open-far less full at fewer masses than ever. 10 miles from the Bridgepot, Ct pedophile epicenter first disclosed in the early 1980s.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times
Quote:
I do think changes will come. Not due to a change of heart, but I suspect Pa & NY Grand Jury report to come to come will financially make the Boston affect seem pithy to the church financially.

It will also make the RCC an easy target for district attorneys. Notice the extensive press coverage they sought knowing they could only try 2. That was not accidental. They know how the publicity empties church pews, long term. Boston closed 66 parishes.

Try them publicly. That destroys what RCC is about - $$$$$.
Others will probably come forward now, for sure, and the payouts will be significant. But then it will die down, or people will excuse it away as a few bad priests, etc.

I think the closing of parishes has more to do with fewer parents sending their kids to Catholic schools due to the cost, and younger generations who just don't go to church.

It's a trend that's been going on for a decade or more.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 PM

10,357 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
stomach churning, horrible news. I feel so sad for the girls and boys abused by the priests they trusted. I was sexually abused by a high school coach. I was gutted, but never said a word to anyone for a long time except my boyfriend because I was too naïve to know what happened to me and knew no one would believe me instead of this revered man. Unless one has been through sexual abuse by an authority figure, you have no idea how this betrayal of trust feels.

the catholic church should be so ashamed for their coverup.

edited to add: the coach I reference above retired recently with a huge spread of praise in the local paper. I wrote the newspaper about what this coach did to me almost 40 years ago. my letter was never published.
I know the feeling all too well. All my childhood life, my family was constantly at war with professional demons. I was physically abused, non sexually, as a kindergartner by my teacher. School did nothing, so my parents moved out of the district to place me in another school. The new school, I was summoned twice in my first year for two separate incidents. One was about the principle, and guidance councilors asking me questions if I have ever been alone with him, and I was. I remember being in line to go back to class from lunch when he was walking down the isle, and he stopped me and told the teacher I looked ill. He had me come back to the nurse and she had me take some medicine, and then the next thing I remember, I'm being waken by the nurse because it was time for me to go home. I would be questioned about the incident about a year later, but to this day, I have no idea if he did anything to me or not. The other incident involved a music teacher, and I was asked if I was ever given lessons alone by him. I honestly was never bothered by him, but later on I heard he had something going on with a third grade girl. But, this was just the beginning. This place went through 3 coaches because of something going on with the coaches and female students, and then there was a big incident with the local DARE cop where he was arrested for selling drugs to minors, and eventually getting a 13 year old girl pregnant.

I finally get into junior high at 6th grade, and the teacher that controlled both the math and english classes would offer some type of tutoring at her home. Kids that would sign up were passing her class with flying colors, but the kids were different. They were like zombies. The kids that didn't participate in her after school projects were often failed, or given such low grades that it would mess up our chances at getting into a good college. She gave me an F grading on an English paper when I knew it was an A rated project. My parents even went to a friend who was a teacher at a nearby college to come in as a witness to protest the grade, and the board wouldn't budge. After that, my dad took me out of school and had me home schooled. Fast forward 20 years, and I run into former students of this woman, and they tell me she was having horrible things done to the kids by her husband, who was also a minister at a local church. But, the woman was such an outstanding Black woman that fought cancer twice, nobody would investigate this woman. And she is always being praised by politicians, police, school boards, media and the whole nine yards, but the students know better.

Now I got little cousins going through the same crap. One of them was only 7 years old when she was gang raped on the bus by three 12 year old boys. Nothing happened to the boys, but my little cousin now has to be on ADD meds, and if her mother doesn't stick to the regimen, then social services threaten to take her child away. After all of what is going on, people ask me why I don't have kids, and I'm just like, why bring children into this world to be tortured and destroyed by the system?

Old 08-19-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Others will probably come forward now, for sure, and the payouts will be significant. But then it will die down, or people will excuse it away as a few bad priests, etc.

I think the closing of parishes has more to do with fewer parents sending their kids to Catholic schools due to the cost, and younger generations who just don't go to church.

It's a trend that's been going on for a decade or more.
Pew emptying started in my region right around the time Bridgeport, Ct pedophile ring was exposed.

I think RCC school cost played a role-but not huge. I have several nieces and nephews and am happy to say 0 are around RCC staff daily. Attend Public schools-and one dad of 3 makes several hundred thousand a year. Goes to church, but refuses to let his kids attend those schools. Good parenting. Keep the kids safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies