Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:33 PM

25,420 posts, read 9,735,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I don't think like you. How's that?
And you're entitled. Doesn't change what is happening to the planet though. That's my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,769,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I don't think like you. How's that?
Facts are facts. Doesn't matter if you believe them. Jesus was supposed to come back in 2015, after the fourth blood moon according to John Hagee, yet we are still here.

I believe real reports from real climatologists over fringe end times preachers and "scientists" paid off by Exxon-Mobil to cast doubt on real science.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:03 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,104,719 times
I think people fear that living more sustainably is difficult and requires extreme sacrifices.

No one's saying to live completely off the grid wearing nothing but loin cloth.

Simple and moderate changes would be enough to go a long way.

Eat a little less meat.
Have one fewer kid.
Drive instead of fly whenever possible.
Buy electronics and cars used.

That's why I can't stand silly things like straw bans...it's more inconvenience than it's worth, and makes people think that living more sustainably is a big ordeal, when it really doesn't have to be.

Perfection is the enemy of good. Every positive change helps.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:29 PM

16,872 posts, read 10,526,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I think people fear that living more sustainably is difficult and requires extreme sacrifices.

No one's saying to live completely off the grid wearing nothing but loin cloth.

Simple and moderate changes would be enough to go a long way.

Eat a little less meat.
Have one fewer kid.
Drive instead of fly whenever possible.
Buy electronics and cars used.

That's why I can't stand silly things like straw bans...it's more inconvenience than it's worth, and makes people think that living more sustainably is a big ordeal, when it really doesn't have to be.

Perfection is the enemy of good. Every positive change helps.
None of those things will have any impact on the climate.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
And then there's this.
https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warmin...e#.W3Re8s5KiUk

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

With that said, people will believe or not believe what they will.
It’s sad that a government website would publish this garbage.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It’s sad that a government website would publish this garbage.
I'm pretty sure they know more about climate change than the average angry weirdo off the internet.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm pretty sure they know more about climate change than the average angry weirdo off the internet.
No, they get paid to study the effects of humans on the climate. If they conclude there is no impact then there will be nothing left to study. The only thing they are worried about drying up is their money.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 PM

33,511 posts, read 37,042,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the climate is warming..and it is part of the natural cycle...

last major ice age was about 18,000 years ago..and we have been warming since.... its called the interglacial period.
No, the planet was cooling for more than 5000 years until the beginning of the industrial age when it began to warm rapidly...You are deluding yourself. Check the chart on this page. https://kottke.org/13/09/temperature...st-11000-years

Quote:
Every interglacial period has peaked (global average) at about 73'-75'F..we are currently at about 59'....we still have hundreds of years of warming to go.... is mankind idiots about being good custodians of our wonderful 4 billion yr old earth... yes...... does mankind waste resources... yes... does mankind litter too much... yes....... but the warming is natural.... only an idiot would deny the science of that fact
Your temperature info is incorrect., and the present warming is NOT natural.

https://theconversation.com/factchec...ears-ago-73045

This last interglacial period was one of the warmest periods of the past 650,000 years. But it wasn’t 4C hotter globally.

Extensive scientific evidence from across the globe shows that the global average temperature during this interglacial period was 1-2C warmer than pre-industrial times (or about as warm as it was in 2016).

The fact that Earth has experienced natural climate changes in the past doesn’t downplay the significance of how humans are changing the climate now.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
No, they get paid to study the effects of humans on the climate. If they conclude there is no impact then there will be nothing left to study. The only thing they are worried about drying up is their money.
Oh come on...that's like people claiming that the government knows the cure for cancer and HIV, but don't publicize it for the same reason. If that was the case, there wouldn't be any vaccines.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,527,935 times
Lol at trying to have a discussion about climate change on this cesspool of a forum. Try /r/neutralpolitics instead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies