Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 06:56 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,203 times

Advertisements

Interesting times indeed. Now a transgendered woman is set to be a state Governor. It no surprise where it is as it is in a New England state.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45195216
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Does it really matter what gender someone is if they are governor? Does it matter what other gender they might like to have sexual relations with? Does this somehow affect the citizens of that state?

The only time these questions matter... is when it is YOU and who YOU want to have sexual relations with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
It no surprise where it is as it is in a New England state.
I guess that's a knock at New England. Maybe they have evolved passed others and came to the realization that all of this gender related stuff is simply nonsense and background noise to distract us.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times
of course HE will win. Identity politics is more important than substance.

Quote:
Interesting times indeed. Now a transgendered woman is set to be a state Governor. It no surprise where it is as it is in a New England state.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:04 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
What an accomplishment

Old 08-15-2018, 07:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
No. It is no surprise that it happened in VT. It could happen in MA, but much less likely in NH or CT. I heard her speak in an interview on NPR. She mentioned how the public school system is currently under attack, so it suggests to me that she would give it a lot more funding. So.... if she gets elected, I predict taxes to increase in their state.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
I believe the Republican incumbent is favored to actually win.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Quote:

Hallquist still has to beat the Republican incumbent governor Phil Scott in the general election. That will very much be an uphill fight.

I agree it is not a surprise that this happened in New England. The region is very educated and has far less prejudice and bigotry than many other parts of the US. It prides itself on showing the nation what is right and its ways are usually later followed by the backward states.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Does it really matter what gender someone is if they are governor? Does it matter what other gender they might like to have sexual relations with? Does this somehow affect the citizens of that state?

The only time these questions matter... is when it is YOU and who YOU want to have sexual relations with.

I guess that's a knock at New England. Maybe they have evolved passed others and came to the realization that all of this gender related stuff is simply nonsense and background noise to distract us.
My point is it be a milestone for a transgender to be the first ever state governor. Yet New England is a place where anything goes and that why I stated it is not surprising.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
She has very little chance of winning. Incumbents usually win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. It is no surprise that it happened in VT. It could happen in MA, but much less likely in NH or CT. I heard her speak in an interview on NPR. She mentioned how the public school system is currently under attack, so it suggests to me that she would give it a lot more funding. So.... if she gets elected, I predict taxes to increase in their state.
Another reason she won't win. VT already ranks #12 in the US on total tax burden according to this. https://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/

Old 08-15-2018, 08:08 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Quote:
My point is it be a milestone for a transgender to be the first ever state governor. Yet New England is a place where anything goes and that why I stated it is not surprising.

Anything goes?

Like the lowest divorce rates in the US?

Like the lowest teen pregnancy rates?

New England is not what you think it is. Most of the people of the region actually live pretty simple somewhat bland conservative traditional lives. People here work hard and live within their means. People are not flashy or showy and displays of wealth are seen as vulgar. Education is very valued. Marriages last entire lives and family is very important. People have roots in the region going back generations and sometimes hundreds of years. Things for the most part are slow to change.

The difference in New Englanders versus people in other parts of the nation is that its residents feel it is not their business to decide how others should live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies