Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 03:17 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I already did. And yes, he agrees that Haiti is a mess that he was happy to leave behind. And since most of Haiti is without indoor plumbing, well then yes, Haiti is a crap hole.

Calling countries like Haiti a crap hole is just being honest. They are countries that are highly undesirable to live in and the living conditions are truly awful. And this is why those with a temporary refugee status never want to return to live on that island ever again.

Would you want to move to Haiti?
I wouldn't want to move to Haiti. However if someone made derisive comments about a country of which I have origins from, I would not like it at all. When I was in high school, some kid called me the "N" word. I hit that kid. My message to him was this: Watch your mouth or else. Today I wouldn't do that because I'm afraid of going to jail. And in my early 30s, I'm not trying to get in a fight. Now, looking back, it wasn't a good idea. However, at that time, my thinking was "if you're afraid of me, you'll shut up".

Anyway, your Haitian-American acquaintance supporting Trump is not going to convince the majority of Blacks to support Trump. It certainly won't convince me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 03:32 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,142,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wouldn't want to move to Haiti. However if someone made derisive comments about a country of which I have origins from, I would not like it at all. When I was in high school, some kid called me the "N" word. I hit that kid. My message to him was this: Watch your mouth or else. Today I wouldn't do that because I'm afraid of going to jail. And in my early 30s, I'm not trying to get in a fight. Now, looking back, it wasn't a good idea. However, at that time, my thinking was "if you're afraid of me, you'll shut up".

Anyway, your Haitian-American acquaintance supporting Trump is not going to convince the majority of Blacks to support Trump. It certainly won't convince me.
Just because Haiti is a crap hole, doesn't mean that their people are crap. However, honestly I wasn't impressed by Haitians rioting after their former prime minister tried to institute austerity measures (in order to get loans from the IMF to improve their island infrastructure). As their former prime minister Lafontant noted, it was very short-sighted of the Haitians to riot, and also that they destroyed many cars and glass windows... both items that the island can't make themselves and would have to import more of to replace what was lost.

And it is short-sighted of the Haitian people to keep making babies and increasing their island population when their country is such a mess. And that is the same problem that ALL Third World countries have, too many people for the resources on their piece of land. And their countries will never get ahead and improve the quality of life there, as long as their main product is making babies.

Last edited by miu; 10-22-2018 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 03:42 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,142,528 times
Quote:

It's really a shame that you and other blacks give so much power to the N word. I've been called a j@p and a g**p just once, and I just shrugged it off and considered those people just white trash and ignorant. My little sister was once called a ch!nk by a black student in her 2nd grade class, but it never bothered her or the rest of my family. We just felt very sorry for him.

IMO only YOU can give the N word its power to hurt you. My best revenge is to feel pity for the ignorant.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
It's really a shame that you and other blacks give so much power to the N word. I've been called a j@p and a g**p just once, and I just shrugged it off and considered those people just white trash and ignorant. My little sister was once called a ch!nk by a black student in her 2nd grade class, but it never bothered her or the rest of my family. We just felt very sorry for him.

IMO only YOU can give the N word its power to hurt you. My best revenge is to feel pity for the ignorant.
And it is a shame that some people feel comfortable resorting to calling other people racial slurs. Said persons say those things because they have hatred and disrespect towards others of a difference race/ethnicity. They feel comfortable doing do/have some severe disdain and hatred. I don't feel sorry for the person calling me a racial slur. That person should know better. He or she isn't being "ignorant". It is being done out of disgust. No pity from me. If someone will say those things, imagine if that person gets some political power.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 10,716,913 times
Hmm. Don't mistake the torches and pitchforks for people warming up to Trump.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:45 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,245,863 times
Quote:
I know a Haitian American man who has been a fan of Trump all along and also voted for him. He was not impressed with Obama's eight years, and liked that Trump speaks his mind and actually does what he says that he's going to do. I think that Trump appeals to this man's macho culture. I think that he felt Obama was a weak person.
Really? Your friend sounds like a masochist.

..."Why are we having all these people from ****hole countries come here?" Trump said, referring to Haiti and countries in Africa and Central America. "Why do we need more Haitians? Take them out."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...196211504.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-haiti-immigrants-deportations-threat-disasters-a7712346.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.1d2b3918f563

Old 10-22-2018, 04:46 PM

I really don't think Blacks are warming up to Trump nearly as much as some people want to think. I'm not seeing much of it at all. I might find that one Black Trump supporter or two. Kanye West is a high profile Trump supporter. However, he is not getting more Blacks to support Trump. In fact, many of the Black people I have run into have said that Kanye West is crazy. Most of these polls don't mean much to me. However, some people are using these polls as a last gasp. There are some people who look at the poll and use it to gaslight any Black person who refuses to support Trump. Some people use the poll to keep telling themselves "see, alot of Black people love Trump".

Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM

391 posts, read 158,609 times
Quote:
Well, ask that man this question. How does he feel about Trump referring to Haiti and other Caribbean/Central American countries as "crap holes"?
That's probably why he is here! I mean duh....

Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Ralph mentioned repeal of Civil Rights Era legislation - not the bold.
I know that. But, the bold, i.e., the original assertion was that some people desire a return to slavery and Jim Crow, and I questioned that.

Quote:
The gains of the climax of the Civil Rights Era are VERY important to black voters - especially those of us who vote and the continued nit picking away of those gains - especially in regards to placing restrictions on voters - is something that is very concerning to black voters.
There are legitimate concerns that the Right has regarding voter ID, and they do not involve the suppression of the black vote.

There is no good reason that black people are unable to obtain proper ID. Asserting so is ignorant and demeaning.

Quote:
Contrary to what you may believe, we know that slavery and "involuntary servitude" aren't the biggest issues for black voters when it comes to legislation. However, in black media the continued removal of Civil Rights era protections for voting rights, is a pressing issue for black Americans, especially those older than 45 years old and those of us older than 30 years old, who either experienced and/or know about from close family members what actually occurred prior to passage of that legislation. Without it, there would be no legal basis for challenges. The legal challenge as a weapon is the main weapon of use for black Americans in cases of housing discrimination, employment discrimination, and voting disenfranchisement.
Blacks are not at any risk of losing their right to vote. I will not comment on the other forms of discrimination, because they are not relevant to my question raised in this thread.

And why "contrary to what I may believe"? I made no statement that "slavery and involuntary servitude" are the biggest issues for black voters. I stated the opposite, actually.

Quote:
You and we are not on the same wavelength and I'll be honest it is weird that the first thing that pops to your mind about black people is slavery and involuntary servitude.... Especially when Ralph specifically mentioned "Civil Rights Era legislation."
There is nothing strange about my comment. I was replying originally to green_mariner, who posted the following:

Believe it not, some people would love to have things like slavery and Jim Crow come back.

So, maybe you should think it weird that the first thing that Ralph posted was an assertion re civil rights legislation when I replied specifically to green mariner's assertion that some people want a return to slavery and Jim Crow.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 10-22-2018 at 07:03 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odium14 View Post
That's probably why he is here! I mean duh....
If you went up to someone and insulted their country of origin, even if they live here and want to be here, said person isn't going to like it. Saying a country is poor or severely impoverised is one thing. Calling their country a curse word is literally and insult and you know it.

If I came up and made fun of where you are from, you wouldn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies