Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 01:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,837,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm using YOUR info. And, yes, Germans pay a 19% VAT. If you can get America's middle class to pay a 32%-33% income tax rate PLUS a 19% VAT tax, maybe we could have national health care. Everyone on board with that?
Corporations pay an average of about 10k per worker. A corporate tax in place of corporations paying insurance premiums themselves could cover a decent percentage of it and is the way todo this without badly screwing workers who currently have health insurance through their employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 01:43 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,579,262 times
Nobody ever mentions Hawaii when it comes to UHC. They seem to be thriving with their system. They are the healthiest state in the country.

In Hawaii, a healthcare system apart - latimes

20,410 posts, read 12,328,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Corporations pay an average of about 10k per worker. A corporate tax in place of corporations paying insurance premiums themselves could cover a decent percentage of it and is the way todo this without badly screwing workers who currently have health insurance through their employer.
you do realize there is no such thing as a corporate tax right? that's just a hidden tax that jacks up the price of goods and services. that is certainly not an answer. its a complication.

88,731 posts, read 44,535,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Corporations pay an average of about 10k per worker. A corporate tax in place of corporations paying insurance premiums themselves could cover a decent percentage of it and is the way to do this without badly screwing workers who currently have health insurance through their employer.
The cost of single-payer health care ($3.2 trillion/year) is $10K per person. A family of 4 costs $40K. Who pays for that?

Old 08-16-2018, 01:47 PM

20,687 posts, read 8,453,186 times
Just found the video where Trump spoke to HHS Sec.Azar and Commissioner Gottlieb attending the Right to Try bill signing, which allows terminally ill people to take unapproved drugs. Start watching at 6:00 unless you want to watch Pence speak. He informally asked them the status.

Trump fell in love with the little boy in the wheelchair and constantly referred to him and at the end it was so adorable! Worth watching the whole video to see it. The others on the stage were patients and their families.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKf5s2DKMa0

Old 08-16-2018, 01:53 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,924,224 times
Quote:
I'm using YOUR info.
You're parroting as Germans pay $4000 in taxes per person per year for their national health care system. We currently pay $10 700 ($5000 in taxes) per person per year for our current system.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Just found the video where Trump spoke to HHS Sec.Azar and Commissioner Gottlieb attending the Right to Try bill signing, which allows terminally ill people to take unapproved drugs. Start watching at 6:00 unless you want to watch Pence speak. He informally asked them the status.

Trump fell in love with the little boy in the wheelchair and constantly referred to him and at the end it was so adorable! Worth watching the whole video to see it. The others on the stage were patients and their families.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKf5s2DKMa0
Here is Trump during the campaign supporting universal health care and promising to take on the big pharma crooks, what a change from the current meek puppet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJfKdp3bDs

Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,105,961 times
Quote:
No, they aren't. PLEASE read the linked article and research. Ignorance is why we're stuck in this morass.

How Other Developed Countries Tax and Spend

I already explained Germany's much flatter income tax rate brackets. Here's Scandinavia's:

Progressivity of Scandinavian and US Income Taxes

How I wish the US middle class would feel the income tax rate pinch like those in Europe do. Then... maybe... they'd have something to complain about.
The European middle class supposedly suffers so much, and yet the vast majority of them would still never trade it for the horrorshow of a system that the US has to suffer with.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:01 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,105,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I just wonder when there truly and indisputably will be formalized "death panels", similar to those panels that take place to decide whether or not someone will be eligible for an organ transplant -- if one can believe shows like Grey's Anatomy, that is. (I know some people say that they already exist, but I don't know if that is true or not.) And by death panels, I don't mean actually inflicting a lethal injection on someone, but to allow some people to die naturally without artificial measures except for making their natural death as painless as possible.

And although I am 99% sure that I am going to get blasted for this, I think that so-called "death panels" might actually be a good thing IF established standards are unilaterally followed. IMO, there should be (1) no major surgeries for anyone over the age of 85 or anyone in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's with no cure in sight, (2) no life-prolonging measures for anyone in unremitting horrible pain that cannot be alleviated with medication; (3) no life-prolonging measures for anyone in a PVS state; and (4) no life-prolonging measures for anyone in a coma for whom there is a less than a 1% chance that s/he will reawaken and/or for whom doctors agree that there is less than a week until s/he will die regardless of what measures are taken.

In short, I think that the humane standards that vets apply to animals should also apply to humans -- and so many people have said this besides me that I just don't understand why this policy has not been yet adopted. Why do we refuse to allow dogs to suffer when there is no hope of cure or relief but not humans? I am a dog lover, but I think that humans should be treated at least as well as dogs are.
Exactly. So many elderly in nursing homes are literally vocally begging to die, but we force them to suffer instead. It's absolutely barbaric.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The European middle class supposedly suffers so much, and yet the vast majority of them would still never trade it for the horrorshow of a system that the US has to suffer with.
Take a look at this graph from the World Income inequality database, and we understand why they dont want the current US system:

https://i.redd.it/dj8yezjexwc11.jpg

The graph nicely shows that "technology, trade with the third world, immigration" and all the other excuses people make for the current situation is just nonsense, as Western Europe has that as well. People are getting duped and told to support the ruling class that push the middle class and poor off the cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies