Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the police act appropriately?
Yes 23 20.54%
No 89 79.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,445,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Only if you ignore the thousands (probably millions) of cases of cops shooting, clubbing, macing, tazing, kidnapping folks that weren't bothering/threatening anyone.
Oh, I see. Because a handful of cops are guilty of abuse, all cops are guilty?

FOCUS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,563,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
BS! The police wouldn't have been called or responded if there was no threat or chance of threat.
I'm not sure if this has occurred to anyone else, but it sounds to me as if the original caller may have been concerned about the woman herself, fearing that she was lost and disoriented. They did say she was not threatening anyone, IIRC.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is why immigrants should learn English. My immigrant grandparents went to night school to learn English and encouraged my parents (born here) to speak English instead of their native language.

perhaps she doesnt have the money to pay for english lessons. at this time the US does not have a national language. and while i agree that the common language used here is english, and that people should learn the language, it is not a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
All she had to do was drop the knife.

No one lives in Mayberry including granny.

I don't like what happened. I don't fault the police for it either.

I wouldn't have had my gun out either.

If I couldn't take the risk to disarm the slow moving granny I'd be in the wrong job.

I voted yes.

you should have voted no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Oh, good grief. You'd have to have rocks in your head to think that poor old woman looks dangerous. No, they should not have tased her. That's ridiculous.

correct, and while 90% of the cops today do a good job, and respect the rights of the people, we have far too many thugs with a badge who are quick to use force and intimidation to get what they want the people to do.

if they cant take a knife from an old lady, then they are in the wrong business and perhaps they need either retraining, or they need to become bag boys at a supermarket.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:41 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This is what happens from statist indoctrination. Run and tell daddy on someone not committing aggression.
Oh for cripe's sake, stop parroting conspiracies-r-us.

The cops overreacted.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:48 AM

16,964 posts, read 12,534,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is why immigrants should learn English. My immigrant grandparents went to night school to learn English and encouraged my parents (born here) to speak English instead of their native language.
Many people's claims like the above are bovine scatterings. Look at the 1910 to 1920 census for German, Italian etc areas. The kids learn English well, the immigrant speaks it poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
How long have you been a police officer?
Most cops are good. The bad 5% are going to have a huge affect

Not enough info without seeing the footage

Old 08-17-2018, 08:58 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
Particularly adult immigrant women whose role in the family was to care for the children and home. Learning a new language as an adult isn't easy and many of those women's circle are not English speakers. Add that to the effect that many elderly are hard of hearing.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:35 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,445,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Particularly adult immigrant women whose role in the family was to care for the children and home. Learning a new language as an adult isn't easy and many of those women's circle are not English speakers. Add that to the effect that many elderly are hard of hearing.
Oh, brother! Learn the language of the country you chose to inhabit. It is commonsense. I don't believe she learned nothing after 20 years.

If you refuse to learn communication skills more advanced than grunts and facial grimaces you can expect you might get tasered by the cops for refusing to drop your knife. That's also simple commonsense.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:38 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Oh, brother! Learn the language of the country you chose to inhabit. It is commonsense. I don't believe she learned nothing after 20 years.

If you refuse to learn communication skills more advanced than grunts and facial grimaces you can expect you might get tasered by the cops for refusing to drop your knife. That's also simple commonsense.
Again, this NEVER would’ve happened in any other civilized nation.

And your ass should be ashamed that it happened here.

You folks are effin pathetic.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:02 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,388,186 times
At least she isn't dead (yet).

Old 08-17-2018, 12:04 PM

1,991 posts, read 895,537 times
Quote:

Thank you for your opinion Herr Javacoffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies