Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 06:50 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times

Advertisements

Brendan Eich, the chief architect of Firefox was driven out of his position as CEO of Mozilla due to a small - $800 if memory serves me - donation in support of a CA ballot initiative defining marriage as being only between a man and a woman. Mozilla now deciding they will be the arbiter of truth is ludicrously laughable. Suppression of free speech, pure and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Discern the "truth" according to who? You? Barack Obama? Hillary Clinton?

The inconvenient truth is that leaders of the Democrat left and the people at Firefox are not particularly adept at discerning the truth, nor are they particularly committed to telling it.

The idea that they would appoint themselves to be the arbiters and determiners of truth is arrogant and foolish in the extreme, not to mention selfish and openly manipulative.

Not that these people are actually committed to promoting the truth. In fact they are committed to promoting the Democrat left's vile and spectacularly hateful "Political correctness" and identity politics agendas, which are frequently far removed from reality and the truth, and not infrequently bordering on the deranged.

And one of their chief tactics in this effort is censoring any ideas that effectively conflict with their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 07:12 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Maybe it was posted somewhere in the thread and I missed it. Do we have any more detail as to exactly how Mozilla would or will do their filtering?

Old 08-18-2018, 07:44 AM

Just downloaded and installed Brave. Very first impression is that it's slow. Not necessarily a big deal but noticeable nonetheless.

Second thing I noticed is that there there does not appear to be any other cookie options besides delete all on closing or keep all. That IS a big negative compared to Firefox.

Edit: Nor do I see any way to even view your cookies. Maybe there's a way and I haven't learned it yet, but it's not obvious and if that is not possible, it's a pretty primitive browser.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:49 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Maybe it was posted somewhere in the thread and I missed it. Do we have any more detail as to exactly how Mozilla would or will do their filtering?
This is their post on it
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/0...mation-online/

Old 08-18-2018, 08:06 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Government is not required for free speech to be suppressed, or antonymically to be compelled.
The first amendment says what again?

Old 08-18-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Thank you.

It's pretty vague, but their intentions are clear and have been aptly described by BentBow and others. I'll just leave it at that since I have a hunch you support their woefully misguided initiative. By all means correct me if I'm wrong about your stance....I'd love to be.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:22 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Given what people jump on calling fake news, of course this is a bad thing.

I wish some of you overly-relaxed people would think things through. The censorship that you're denying today could impact what you wish to see tomorrow.

It has nothing to do with what is fake, it has to with controlling what we see. Too many people have turned away from the fake mainstream media and done their own digging online to educate themselves. Now we may have no way to do that, and this is a good thing?

We keep losing rights in this country and denying that points to being uninformed.

But hey, since ignorance seems to be bliss, continue being ecstatic and mocking those of us who bother ourselves with such matters.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:34 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
There could be big money in third party filtering apps that would be catered to different kinds of people. There could be right leaning filters and left leaning filters and family oriented filters, filters focused for people with particular interests like science or sports or finance. They could be built in to apps that could run on any browser. That would give people options, and of course they could choose to use no filter at all. This isn't really about options though, it's about controlling content(yes anarcho capitalists, it's their prerogative). Is Firefox going to allow us to turn this filter of theirs on and off, for example?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:47 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
There's going to be an embedded bias to the effort since it's funded by Soros' Open Society Foundation and operates under one of the UK government agencies.

https://fullfact.org/about/funding/

There's reason to be negative about the attempt to screen out other sources of information as the UK government is involved in a number of wars in Ukraine, Syria, Yemen, Libya, and elsewhere where they want to control the news. They previously threatened takeover of the newspaper industry over the release of the Snowden leaks regarding the Five Eyes GCHQ program. Credible reporters, such as Sy Hersh, are no longer published in the US or UK. The government also established a number of fake news outlets to manufacture news releases for the above wars and counter negative news.

There is also the problem of search engines as revealed in the Edward Snowden revelations. The Google search engine prioritizes web sites so that secondary sources are far down the list and inaccessible without a lot of effort. There is a DuckDuckGo browser extension for Chrome that will make it the default unfiltered search engine.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
There's going to be an embedded bias to the effort since it's funded by Soros' Open Society Foundation and operates under one of the UK government agencies.

https://fullfact.org/about/funding/

There's reason to be negative about the attempt to screen out other sources of information as the UK government is involved in a number of wars in Ukraine, Syria, Yemen, Libya, and elsewhere where they want to control the news. They previously threatened takeover of the newspaper industry over the release of the Snowden leaks regarding the Five Eyes GCHQ program. Credible reporters, such as Sy Hersh, are no longer published in the US or UK. The government also established a number of fake news outlets to manufacture news releases for the above wars and counter negative news.

There is also the problem of search engines as revealed in the Edward Snowden revelations. The Google search engine prioritizes web sites so that secondary sources are far down the list and inaccessible without a lot of effort. There is a DuckDuckGo browser extension for Chrome that will make it the default unfiltered search engine.
Sssssshhhhhoooooccckkkkkiiinnnggg.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies