U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2008, 06:10 AM
 
1 posts, read 805 times
Reputation: 9

Advertisements

Nicely put deeptrance..

I just got a question. Have any of you guys read the book "A Time To Kill" by John Grisham"???

The reason iam answering is because, i have to do a question on that which is,

Through the themes that John Grisham addresses in the book A Time To Kill, how does this reflect the american society at that time? (the time is the 1970's)
(cant rememeber the question perfectly but i think it sounds something like this).

So im wondering if you guys can help me with this question. I know the themes in the book, but i dont know how to research it on the internet about how it was in Mississippi in the 1970's..

Please Help me!!!!!

Thx,
Solodude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2008, 01:04 PM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,480,451 times
Reputation: 4938
Default oh mother of God tell me this is not real

Originally Posted by Herbert Stone
Black folks ancestors were raped and ripped off by white folks ancestors,
who passed that filthy lucre down to white instituitions, which discriminate
against black men which leads to high crime. Americas top illness is depression, followed by obesity. America is subconciously grieving the "Black
Holocaust", which our textbooks say never happened. America is fighting the wrong enemy.........poverty which stems from racism creates biological
warfare in which Americans kill Americans through the spread of new viruses
such as Super TB, which can stay in an empty room up to an hour infecting
the lungs of anyone who enters. Imagine a simple sneeze or cough,
being linked to white privellege? Yes and our prescription for white guilt (the
leading cause for American depression) is the omission of the truth of "THE
BLACK HOLOCAUST", which describes the 90 million or more Africans killed
and thrown overboard from slaveships during the middle passage, from the
textbooks of white children, so they won't have anything to feel guilty about
as they grow up spending that filthy lucre blood money. I applaud Paula Zahn
as she attempts to deal with the issue, but she is too naive to see the points I bring up here. Reparations for blacks should've been the topic.
America will either empower blacks or die of diseases associated with poverty. I'm wating to see if they blame it on terrorism, when they know
the poor are incubating desases without even knowing it. Paula.......womens
vagina's are being used as incubators for the mutation of horrific sexually transmitted diseases, as we try to tell women who wear religious head
coverings THEY are inappropriately dressed?
The Black Man has spoken......take heed White America!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 04:45 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
Why are Whites the only ones considered Racist? You do know that White countries of the world (in Europe, USA/Can/AU/NZ) are the only ones "embracing diversity" and letting hordes of others in? Often at the detriment of our crime rates, and welfare spending.

I'm sick of being felt like I'm guilty of something, I don't see Africa or Asia "embracing diversity." Whites are 10% of the world's population why are we seemingly the only group that cannot protect our culture, languages, and heritage? Why must we work to become extinct (and it's politically incorrect to speak against it)?

I live for the day when we can speak of our race with pride which other groups are allowed to do -- and how we invented the modern world and nearly everything in it.

Why are Whites supposedly the only racists? In the United States one specific ethnic group that is 13% of the population commits a majority of the violent crime (over 50%) -- yet we're told it's wrong to be "racist?" I tell you what -- if being racist means protecting my family from a criminal element so be it. Hell -- even the White rate in this country is skewed because it counts "Hispanic" as White.

30 years ago this country was 90% White, and now it's 66%. Again, how can we be the racists? And furthermore, how is massive third world immigration benefiting us? I don't know any American who wants it, and who is choosing i t for us?

I want to protect my culture and heritage, not turn the United States into Mexico. And looking at the Islamification of Europe and Australia, and the Mexicanization of the United States -- who are the real racists? Because I don't see non-White nations "embracing diversity." (Of course -- I'm sure nations such as Iceland and Sweden benefit greatly from it).

What is diversity when Whites are extinct and Asia and Africa are less diverse and have more people than ever? That's not diversity we're participating in, we're participating in self-destruction -- racial and cultural suicide that we're told we cannot oppose or we're mentally ill.
Sorry, folks but I fail to see TNLove as any MORE of a racist than anyone ELSE. These are fair points, asked in sincerity. He's been told he makes a huge point of race, and is a racist because of his views. Well, isn't that the whole point? Isn't the entire THREAD about the fact that race, apparently, IS a 'big thing'? Whites wanting to promote "white" ideals, and minorities objecting, because that means they can't promote their OWN ideals instead? THe presidency should be open to ALL races...but if it's considered NECESSARY that a "black man be president", why? Apparently, so that a WHITE man will not, it seems to me. Why not a black woman? Or a Hispanic? Which one "should" be president? What is considered the ideal 'color" for a President? Do his morals, ethics, or politics count? (There's a lot of doubt just now about THAT).

PERSONALLY, I don't care. As a white guy, I'm married to a minority (who ALSO happens to be of the OPPOSITE sex). My Children, and my grandchildren, aren't exactly the same 'race' as I am...and I don't CARE. (they aren't the same AGE as I am, either--but we still manage to get along). In a few decades, I won't be here ANYWAY, and I'm sure the "future"--whatever its "color"--will happen without me there to help. So race to me is of little concern. I love my 'descendants' just the way they are.

BUT--- for those of us for whom race IS of paramount importance, how is TN Love's post any more racist that any OTHER? If, as many of you say, "race doesn't matter", then why do we CARE if a black man, a white man, or any OTHER man, gets elected president?---unless, of course, we're being dishonest, and that in fact, race really DOES matter--(in which case, ALL OF US, and not just TNLove, are racists...some of us in favor of ONE race, and others in favor of another....but ALL of us using race as a marker of progress, or enlightenment, or lack of it.)

I don't see how white people, living in cultures that have chosen to embrace diversity, are "racists", but all NON-whites, here AND in many NON-diverse nations, are NOT....(?) Frankly, I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, please....I HATE racism !.... But I ALSO hate "baloney". BOTH of these phenomena drive me to absolute distraction....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 PM
 
1,079 posts, read 1,530,211 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Yes, we discussed this in another thread somewhere in this ginormous site. I quoted from an academic study about how people interpreted the way others react to them, it was a different type of thing but it leads to the same conclusion which is that we see the world the way we subjectively choose to see it.

This doesn't mean there's not real racism. A newly published poll says that 83% of Americans would be OK or enthusiastic about having a Black president. To me, the fact that it's anything lower than 99% is tragic. To think that 17% of people responded to that poll saying they would NOT want a Black president, merely because of race, shows that almost one in five people are openly racist and that's pretty depressing. But we all face hardships and prejudgment from others, it's up to us what to do with that. We can spend our energy on feeling like victims, we can fight it, ignore it, try to challenge the assumptions others make --- the choices are endless and they're within our power to make.
What that poll tells me is that only 17% of people felt comfortable telling the pollster their true feelings. We'll see how it turns out in November, but I'm betting that many Americans who polled one way will show their true colors in the voting booth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Noc
 
1,319 posts, read 1,725,269 times
Reputation: 538
This thread was made at the end of 2006 and had ZERO posts in 2007. Why bring it back in 2008 instead of starting a new thread where people don't get caught up in a year old argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,755 posts, read 23,226,054 times
Reputation: 6092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
This thread was made at the end of 2006 and had ZERO posts in 2007. Why bring it back in 2008 instead of starting a new thread where people don't get caught up in a year old argument?
Some folks take awhile to clearly formulate their opinions. A bit tough to debate what you said a year ago, though.

My favorites are those who post a disagreement with banned or longtime inactive posters, and then DM me about being frustrated because they don't get a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Noc
 
1,319 posts, read 1,725,269 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Some folks take awhile to clearly formulate their opinions. A bit tough to debate what you said a year ago, though.

My favorites are those who post a disagreement with banned or longtime inactive posters, and then DM me about being frustrated because they don't get a response.
LOL! I know what you mean on other sites you are banned for bumping old post to avoid incidents. I guess being a forum lurker for years has it's downsides one getting irritated over things like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,792,258 times
Reputation: 6264
Check this out: Rod Dreher: Making the journey | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Opinion: Points (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/points/stories/021008dnedidreher.aae371a1.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top