U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 PM

944 posts, read 3,576,936 times

Advertisements

I'm just starting this thread to call people's attention to a VERY well-done special (or series) on racism in the USA today.

It's surprising, disappointing, encouraging, all kinds of things. But one thing you will take away from it is that racism is still a BIG problem in this nation, as it is all around the world. It's not unique to the USA of course (I would argue that the USA is probably among the LEAST racist nations on earth) but we have to deal with who we are where we are. And we're still a racially divided nation.

Watch this special if you get a chance. It's very fairly done and has many different stories with lots of viewpoints, and no matter what you feel about its overall bias or objectivity, you will learn something and you WILL be moved to FEEL something. And we all need that!

Shout out to all the people of City-Data, no matter what your ethnicity, gender, religion, nationality or race! Let us all work harder to be one nation with a common purpose, even as we preserve our own unique cultures to the extent we so choose. Freedom and respect for all!

Peace/Out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 11:49 PM

454 posts, read 637,725 times
Thanks for the heads up. I think I missed it though in that it is late.

Racism will be with us forever in that you can never legislate racism out of existance because it is a hatred that is born in the heart. Laws and regulation can attempt to protect people from racism to a point, but if I hate green martian's, no law will make me say "oh, the law says I should like them, so I change my mind!

It's not something that I "get" in that I was raised in a home where you were judged by the content of your character, not the color of your skin (somebody famous said something like that).

Thanks again for the heads up from my favorite 'nam war protestor.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 PM

327 posts, read 173,709 times
Speaking of this topic, did anyone see the special (on Fox?) called "Black.White"? It was a short series in which white people wore makeup to look black and vice versa. There were some very heated discussions and tears. Excellent show and it helped me understand a little bit more as to how blacks and whites view some actions and statements in totally different ways.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,643,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
Speaking of this topic, did anyone see the special (on Fox?) called "Black.White"?
Yes, I saw parts of it. Things always come in circles now everyone is jummping on the race bandwagon. So we ought to throw down a red carpet for other races while one race gets trampled on. Notice how they bring it up at this time of year?

Old 12-14-2006, 03:12 PM

231 posts, read 464,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Yes, I saw parts of it. Things always come in circles now everyone is jummping on the race bandwagon. So we ought to throw down a red carpet for other races while one race gets trampled on. Notice how they bring it up at this time of year?
What is the one race that gets trampled on? And what is the connection between the time of year and the racism report?

Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 PM

Okay, Marks, if you saw parts of it, I guess you realized that there are different interpretations for comments, actions, etc. I was surprised at how opposite they were, at times. For instance, the black man in white makeup...walking on a sidewalk notices people moving aside. He interprets it as them not wanting to get close to him, while the white man with black makeup assumes it's so that they have enough room to get by. Very interesting to me.

And, by the way, as Gringo asked, what did you mean by those comments?

Old 12-15-2006, 03:35 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,168,059 times
Racism is profitable to those who know how to milk the system, and a useful tool for governments that wish to make slaves of their masters.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 AM

944 posts, read 3,576,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
...the black man in white makeup...walking on a sidewalk notices people moving aside. He interprets it as them not wanting to get close to him, while the white man with black makeup assumes it's so that they have enough room to get by.
Yes, we discussed this in another thread somewhere in this ginormous site. I quoted from an academic study about how people interpreted the way others react to them, it was a different type of thing but it leads to the same conclusion which is that we see the world the way we subjectively choose to see it.

This doesn't mean there's not real racism. A newly published poll says that 83% of Americans would be OK or enthusiastic about having a Black president. To me, the fact that it's anything lower than 99% is tragic. To think that 17% of people responded to that poll saying they would NOT want a Black president, merely because of race, shows that almost one in five people are openly racist and that's pretty depressing. But we all face hardships and prejudgment from others, it's up to us what to do with that. We can spend our energy on feeling like victims, we can fight it, ignore it, try to challenge the assumptions others make --- the choices are endless and they're within our power to make.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:12 PM

Deeptrance...Just out of curiousity, who was involved in the poll? Was it only caucasians or did it involve Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans? Curious.

It's pathetic to me that anyone views another person any differently in any situation...I agree with you 150%.

This is an outrageous thought, but wouldn't it be interesting if we could all take a tablet and turn blue? The racism thing would be history...hmmm, let me see what I have in my cabinets....

Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM

421 posts, read 243,147 times
It's a shame we have people making a career on racism. I can name a couple but do I really have to? As long as these types are still running around fueling the fire the problem will never be solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or