Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 11:58 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

I agree with the core sentiment and there are two sad facts in all of this.

1) Yes, Reagan had way more class and poise than Trump....most everyone does. Reagan dealt with things with wit, not wah.

2) Todays press is nothing like it was when Reagan was president. Obama and Hillary plus many forum posters have complained about "Faux News" and called them biased, fake, unfair etc. Trump has ratcheted up the hyperbole but at it's core...both Obama, Hillary and Trump are correct to some degree that corporate for-profit media often try to create the news these days instead of report the news.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Of course Ronald Reagan would have never stood for Trump’s nonsense. He was a true conservative and as such he was a fierce guardian of the American way of life. Shame on Trump and those who support him. They are an embarrassment to those who have given their lives for freedom of the press.
Conservatives and democrats back then were so much different than they are today....

now, I wouldn't give you a plug nickle for any of them....

Old 08-17-2018, 02:28 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
His daughter does not know how her father would re act since the media has changed since the 80's. How would Reagan re act to today's cut throat partisan media of today? Would he roll over and just become a punching bag for the media?

Being a (R) punching bag is what is Bush,McCain,Romney all did. Trump has decided to turn the tables the media is the punching bag. Which method shows leadership?
I agree that the media is very different today, but when I watch clips of those rallies it is really ugly. I know a lot of people seem to like them, but I find them highly disturbing with the chanting, the calling out of people. It's just bizarre.

The rallies and the tweeting are what is preventing Trump from getting any respect for the actual good things he does (and he does do them). Neither one can be blamed on the media. That's all on him.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Reagan was pretty good at ignoring a great deal of the pettiness out there. When he responded, he tended to employ a bit of wit and brevity. Thus he came back at the press pretty well without appearing like a madman.
There also wasn't Twitter or any "fat person with a computer" (referring to whom Trump said could have hacked Hillary instead of the Russians) have a news blog when Reagan was around either.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:35 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Fast forward Ronald Reagan into 2018 and no one has any clue what he would or wouldn't approve of nor what he would do.

Patti doesn't speak for Daddy.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:46 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Disparaging the press was a tactic that goes back to Nixon and Agnew. It was a favored tactic when the facts were embarrassing, a 'shoot the messenger' type of logic.

This continued through the Reagan administration and both Bush presidents, but never in such a horrendous fashion as Trump has done.

It is certainly one thing to argue that reporting is inaccurate, that the perspective is skewed or all of the facts are not known and therefore we have the wrong impression. Such arguments can be made at times.

It is quite another to call the press an enemy of the people, or to imply that journalism is somehow evil. It is not, and most Americans know that it is not. It is a valued service provided to the citizens of the republic, keeping them informed.

I should also state that in my lifetime I had never seen a mob encouraged in this way, nor such a reaction. To have the president of the United States tolerate and even encourage such a vicious reaction out of ordinary citizens is disgraceful. These are dark times.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:50 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Reagan never had to deal with a media anywhere near as vile, petty, ignorant or hate-filled as Trump. Back in the 80s there was at least some attempt at professionalism and civility on the part of the press. The hate filled monkeys they employ now? Not so much.
Truth ^^^

Although they called Reagan 'an amiable dunce.'

Old 08-17-2018, 02:51 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Fast forward Ronald Reagan into 2018 and no one has any clue what he would or wouldn't approve of nor what he would do.

Patti doesn't speak for Daddy.
I agree but she should have known him better than any of us.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:54 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Trump has truly broken the back of the Democrat party when all they have left, is to reminisce over Ronald Reagan.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:55 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
More and more people are coming to understand that Reagan was the start of something really bad.

But even people who think that Reagan was a disaster in the long run have to admit:
1. He had governing experience, unlike Trump.
2. He had essentially a sunny, genial outlook, unlike Trump
3. He was, as you post, civil and restrained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies