Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 03:14 PM

51,935 posts, read 52,357,086 times

Advertisements

This Cortez women is mostly likely just a blip. She beat out some old time incumbent that had been milking that district and hadn't bothered to campaign there forever. He was some old white guy, and the district demographics shift over the years and the combo sent him on his ass.

I've been saying that she's the Palin of the dems, "she's a breath of fresh air", "Young and pretty" blah blah blah. Then like Palin, she begins to speak........ and the fantasy fades away, at least for those of us that can fog up a mirror.

Last edited by Chowhound; 08-17-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 03:31 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,982,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
She banned the media from one event. The OP claim it was her events, plural.
So that's your only disagreement, that the quantity of the claim is wrong? You agree that she DID in fact ban the media from one of her events right?

Old 08-17-2018, 03:36 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,332,340 times
Lol

CNN calls ICE a “controversial agency “ ? Lol
They are tasked with arresting and reporting CRIMIMAL illegal aliens .
Not “undocumented immigrants “

“ It also makes note of her support for the "Abolish ICE" movement, the controversial agency tasked with arresting and deporting undocumented immigrants in the US.”

Republicans compare Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to Venezuelan dictator
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/polit...ocasio-cortez/

Old 08-17-2018, 03:57 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,552,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So that's your only disagreement, that the quantity of the claim is wrong? You agree that she DID in fact ban the media from one of her events right?
My disagreement was that the claim that Cortez “banned media from her events” was presented as evidence that she was anti-free press. In fact, she only banned media from a single “outlier” event, which could be construed as pro-free press (given that she sees it important to meet the press after the town hall and have press at virtually all other events) but is at best not evidence that she is anti-free press.

Put differently, my gripe was with the OP posting misinformation to prove a point not otherwise supported by the truth.

Last edited by TEPLimey; 08-17-2018 at 04:09 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 03:57 PM

51,935 posts, read 52,357,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Lol

CNN calls ICE a “controversial agency “ ? Lol
They are tasked with arresting and reporting CRIMIMAL illegal aliens .
Not “undocumented immigrants “

—

“ It also makes note of her support for the "Abolish ICE" movement, the controversial agency tasked with arresting and deporting undocumented immigrants in the US.”

Republicans compare Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to Venezuelan dictator
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/polit...ocasio-cortez/
These Mensa members that want to abolish ICE just make themselves look stupid. I'd give them a little credit if they said, let's take a look at what they do, how they do it and let's figure out a way to make it better and more effective.

That sounds ok, we can improve an agency, any government agency that can work more effectively than I'm for it.

Nope, they never follow up with anything other than get rid of them. What does that mean, especially in the context of them not offering up a replacement, it means no borders at all, what the heck else can it mean????

It's beyond idiotic. I don't think I've ever seen more people saying more stupid things than any other point in my life, not just this subject, I mean across the board, I don't know where people's cognitive abilities have gone.

Like Elvis??? Left the building??

Old 08-17-2018, 04:02 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,902,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
she is a very savvy educated an intelligent woman. She has facts and the truth on her side and they hate that.
Puff...Puff...Pass

Old 08-17-2018, 04:08 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,871,819 times
Quote:
Someone didn't read the article before posting because they are triggered by the existence of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and just can't help themselves.

According to the article, she banned the media from a select town hall event with the express purpose of letting her constituency speak without fear of appearing in the newspaper.
I don't support Cortez at all, but reading comprehension is pretty low on the forums... Every political campaign will have some closed door meetings or events.

We'll see what she continues to do. If she continues to keep media out of events, thats a whole different story, and would be a story.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:12 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,591,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interestingly sexist that you term her "Barbie," as though you're denigrating a woman for being attractive. I wonder, if we combed through all your past posts, if we'd find you denigrated people like Hillary and Pelosi for their looks, too.
I read "barbie" as an analogy for her intelligence, not for her looks.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:14 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,569,406 times
Quote:
Someone didn't read the article before posting because they are triggered by the existence of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and just can't help themselves.

According to the article, she banned the media from a select town hall event with the express purpose of letting her constituency speak without fear of appearing in the newspaper.

That is the most asinine thing I've heard lately.

It is a political meeting, not a grand jury.

Just what are these so called "constituents" supposed to be saying that they don't want their names attached to and or otherwise published?

This is New York City baby, if you have something to say you'd better own it up front. Doing otherwise just feeds into the corrupt cesspool that is politics in NYS/NYC, something that your gal supposedly is rallying against.

Freedom of the press was enshrined in the USC for a reason; to let the powerful disinfectant of sunlight penetrate where some otherwise would not wish.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:17 PM

37,939 posts, read 17,756,167 times
Quote:

Quote:
“We wanted to help create a space where community members felt comfortable and open to express themselves without the distraction of cameras and press. These were the first set of events where the press has been excluded,” [Spokesman Corbin] Trent said. “This is an outlier and will not be the norm.”
So the town Hall was loaded with people in witness protection?

She's a fool and is probably being protected until she starts to at least understand the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies