Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 AM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
If you think the country can rely on "sponsors and donations" to get the health care they need, you are not realistic.
Why not? Why don't those who so strongly believe in giving freebies to the poor voluntarily pay enough to fund them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Did anybody read about the English Health care system this year? They had to cancel 25,000 surgeries to handle the flu. The normal wait to see a physician is four hours. The Times are worst since 2004 When they started keeping records
They've also put a permanent ban on non-critical surgeries (joint replacements, etc.) for smokers and/or the obese.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
This is the problem. You are delusional like so many else who think they have more control over their health than they do. Most diseases and health issues can not be predicted.
That is SO not true. The World Health Organization estimates that 80% of all heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes, as well as more than 40% of cancer, would be prevented if Americans would stop using tobacco, eat healthy, and exercise.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:47 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They've also put a permanent ban on non-critical surgeries (joint replacements, etc.) for smokers and/or the obese.
sounds like a great healthcare system! Obesity and smoking are prevalent among poor people. Cut them out of the healthcare game. Pick and choose who gets benefits.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
sounds like a great healthcare system! Obesity and smoking are prevalent among poor people. Cut them out of the healthcare game. Pick and choose who gets benefits.
That's exactly what the UK is doing. Why? Cost controls. Smokers and/or the obese consume a highly disproportionate share of the health care budget appropriation. Why the poor continue to self-sabotage is beyond me. But not even the UK can afford to keep paying to subsidize them.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,169 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
That's exactly what the UK is doing. Why? Cost controls. Smokers and/or the obese consume a highly disproportionate share of the health care budget appropriation. Why the poor continue to self-sabotage is beyond me. But not even the UK can afford to keep paying to subsidize them.
The NHS does not have a ban on smokers or the obese, they may require someone to lose weight before an operation or to give up smoking but it does not constitute a ban on these people being treated.

It's a fairly sensible policy imho and your GP will offer diet advice and may even porescribe any obersity medication such as orlistat, whilst there is support to give up smoking, although smoking has already fallen dramatically over recent decades.

Obesity - Treatment - NHS - NHS Choices

Plans to cut excess calorie consumption unveiled - GOV.UK

Sugar tax is already producing results - BBC News

In actual fact the main strain on any medical system is the elderly who use health services more than any other group in society by a long way.

The irony is that smokers and the obese usually have shorter lives therefore in the longer term the savings in healthcare, social care, pension payments etc equal out.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-19-2018 at 06:18 AM..

Old 08-19-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The NHS does not have a ban on smokers or the obese, they may require someone to lose weight before an operation or to give up smoking but it does not constitute a ban on these people being treated.
If they stop smoking and/or lose enough weight (as applicable), they can have the surgery. If they don't, their case goes to a review board which may or may not allow the surgery.
Quote:
In actual fact the main strain on any medical system is the elderly who use health services more than any other group in society by a long way.
That's why people here in the US pay Medicare premiums (FICA) for 40 years before they're eligible for Medicare benefits, and even after that still pay monthly premiums, deductibles, and copays.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Unless/ until you have an accident or are a victim of a violent crime.

Assuming you have been contributing to Medicare your entire working life, in 5+ years you will be eligible for Medicare. Your choice to enroll. Your choice to acquire GAP insurance to help pay for what Medicare does not.
I have my flight insurance when I fly, my auto insurance for driving. And my job of driving trains, well let’s just say anyone blocking tracks on a grade crossing will come out worse than me. Reminds me I received a radio call of track blockage by a car several miles ahead so I started slowing. Car was on the tracks. But since I was forewarned I stopped in time. Driver was sitting in the car smoking a joint. I said move the car and he glassily eyes me and said broke down. I said push it off the tracks or I will push it off using the engine of the lead unit. He pushed his car out of the way quite rapidly. Didn’t know stoners could move that quickly.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,169 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
If they stop smoking and/or lose enough weight (as applicable), they can have the surgery. If they don't, their case goes to a review board which may or may not allow the surgery.
This does not apply to life saving surgery and the key term here is dangerously overweight patients, as it's often not safe to carry out surgery on such patients.

It's not a big issue, and is mainly in relation to hip and knee surgery where weight is a geniune issue.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:59 AM

45,224 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
This does not apply to life saving surgery and the key term here is dangerously overweight patients, as it's often not safe to carry out surgery on such patients.

It's not a big issue, and is mainly in relation to hip and knee surgery where weight is a geniune issue.
in other words, a govt functionary decides what surgeries are appropriate and who gets them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies