Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 AM

18,465 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, I agree. Yet they are still better than any store bought hot dog , by a mile.
As far as regular (not deep fried) hot dogs go, I thought Pals Cabin had the best. Somehow, my country club still gets their hot dogs, so I can still eat them whenever I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMack View Post
Papa John had to step down we will see what happens to this guy when the pressure is turned up.
Yep, that’s how liberals operate, resistance is futile. Or so they think.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Boycotts over politics are just stupid.

I don't agree with some acts and views of some actors but, damn they are good at their craft. I still watch their movies and TV shows. It's kind of like people that have lost relationships because of politics. If people can't agree to disagree and get on with their lives well, they are stupid too.

Life is just too important to wallow in pettiness.
Boycotts over politics are just stupid.

While most boycotts are ineffective because they are not maintained for long enough to wear down the opposition...consider these for their political and historical significance:

Boston Tea Party and the accompanying boycott of tea imported through British customs and the accompanying Stamp Act---resulted in the American Revolution when Britain made no accommodations to the protest/boycotts...

The US boycotts to protest apartheid in South Africa resulted in The Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act in 1986 which cause significant economic repercussions--in 1989 Botha resigned and deKlerk lifted a ban on African National Congress and freed Nelson Mandela and all political prisoners in 1990

"Blood diamonds" boycotts effecting diamond companies, mainly DeBeers

"Lysistrata", the Greek comedy by Aristophanes had women boycotting sex to end the Peloponnesian War
Not a real boycott but has assumed a symbolic force/presence since its original performance

The Montgomery bus boycott in response to the jailing of Rosa Parks and two others which resulted in Supreme Court action which established precedent that tax money cannot be used to provide separate level of services for those being taxed---which was the reason for the Boston Tea Party protest and the tea boycott in the colonies...

The boycott of grapes from non-Union production to protest exploitive treatment of migrant/farm workers started by Caesar Chavez and his National Farm Workers which subsequently joined the Agricultural Workers Organizing Committee to create United Farm Workers and finally forced a contract between farm workers and growers...

One of the more recent and effective boycotts involved the North Carolina legislature passing of House Bill 2 which blocked communities from passing local legislation to protect LGBTQ community and required transgendered people to use bathroom for their birth-sex. North Carolina suffered 3.76 BILLION dollar loss in revenue plus tremendous negative press before the bill was repealed and replaced.

Boycotts are a PEACEFUL and meaningful way to make political opinion felt in certain ways--
Boycotts can be successful because they involve individuals from many walks of life and locations and social strata in a JOINT effort to change (usually) political agenda, but they can also be directed to individual companies...

The Catholic Church is facing a situatuion that likely will be changed only if Catholics themselves start to boycott their local churches--stop donations, stop participating...the hierarchy apparently has no desire to police itself. Supposedly efforts in the recent past have proven ineffective.
To me (who is not a Catholic) it seems this problem is systemic and while investigations have happened and some wrongs have been dealt with, the institutional coverup is still on-going and the people who have participated in covering up the rape of children are not being punished...
What would happen if the Pope ordered any priest, bishop, Cardinal with guilty knowledge to make full confession to the local police??? Do you think they would??? Because I surely don't believe that..

Old 08-20-2018, 09:59 AM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As long as the CEO doesn't fully come out and state racist stuff, it wont do much for me. It's not like Papa John's which is bad pizza anyway. Nathan's, Kirkland, Hebrew National and Sabarret's are my four hot dog picks.
Just in case you do not read or listen to anything but leftist sources, what the CEO of Papa John's said was not racist.
The mere utterance of the so called "N" word can be used in context, such as pointing out LBJ said "I'll have those n-iggers voting Democrat for the next 200 years". That does not make you racist by pointing out how someone else made such a comment.
So when that CEO said what he did (as I understand the story) he was not disparaging black people, rather pointing out how another fast food chain guy had done so without repercussions. It might not have been the wisest analogy to use, but he was not disparaging black people.

As others have said, as long as Nathan's CEO does not bash Democrats or attack their supporters, there is nothing wrong with supporting the president.
One wonders if leftists would think conservatives boycotting a company (just because they supported a Democrat fundraiser) would be the right thing to do.

`

Old 08-20-2018, 10:09 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Orientals tend to eat much better diets than your typical American, and even yellow Americans keep many of their cultural dietary habits. On the other hand, blacks, browns and reds diets tend to be fairly poor when compared to whites and certainly yellows.
Still diets do vary within different Oriental cultures with Japanese living almost a full decade longer than their Chinese counterparts. However I think some of those stats have more to do with their respective people in their home country, and other socio-economic factors.

Also, regionally within the same country there can be large disparities. For example, I think someone living in CT has about a decade longer life expectancy compared to people in WV. So it stands to reason other countries have the same issue.

`
Seriously?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
I usually buy the cheapest hot dogs but from now I will buy these! I have had them they are delicious...doing my part to irritate leftists!
You’re wasting your time (and money, I suppose). Leftists aren’t going to be bothered by your spending habits.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I heard Vegans will be boycotting too ...

Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
"Nathan's will now fall like Papa Johns"
Papa John's? With sales of 1.78 billion dollars in 2017, which was an increase of 70 million dollars over 2016? That's falling?

They could be a BAZILLION $$$, they still can't compete with my locally owned pizzeria whose owners state right on the box: 'Yes, we really are from Brooklyn!' But I do drive by a Papa Johns on my way to real pizza.

Nathan's on the other hand?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Nathan's Hot Dog CEO hosts Trump fundraiser

Nathan's makes a decent dog.

I prefer Hebrew National and even better are the organic grass fed beef dogs from Trader Joe's.

The best ever.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I've always like Nathans hotdogs.

They are off my list from now on.

So, giving up something you've always liked is hurting whom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies