Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 10:24 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Double standards are on the way out and are already gone with regards to sexual harassment and sexual assault. That is a good thing, regardless of whether some people in our country realize it, or accept it, or not.
They are still alive and well in our countries universities but they don't have the explicit support of the DOE anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 10:31 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
While legally it may be sexual assault, I'm just not feeling it. He was seventeen not thirteen. The creepy part was she played his mom in what appears to be a disgusting movie, when he was a young kid.

But you can tell she is creepy just by her twitter posting history.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:34 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
While legally it may be sexual assault, I'm just not feeling it. He was seventeen not thirteen. The creepy part was she played his mom in what appears to be a disgusting movie, when he was a young kid.

But you can tell she is creepy just by her twitter posting history.
Thankfully the laws do not regard one's feelings.

Unfortunately, the enforcement of laws tend to take feelings into account.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:39 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
What can be said ? This is yet another example of the double standards championed by a bunch of hypocrites.

The #metoo movement brought attention to terrible abuses by all sorts of people that should know better then to use their power, money and influence to take advantage of someone but guess what it is still going on.

I wonder if someday the Left will drop the Racism attacks that can utterly destroy someones career and life for merely uttering the naughty taboo "N" word? I doubt it that one still gets their base moving.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:41 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
And you have to wonder, did her husband, Anthony Bourdain know this dirty little secret before he killed himself? Such a troubling can of worms this all opens up.

Now there is an interesting question.

I can't image him not knowing about it and knowing that the day would come when this would all be revealed to the public.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
"Me too" isn't just about women being abuse. Look what happened to Kevin Spacey. If this actress took advantage of a boy under the age of 18 - then she probably should have kept her mouth shut about Weinstein.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:52 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Are you telling me a human being is hypocritical? It is in all of us, even in the identity politics cause celebre of the moment. What all should be outraged about more so is the ongoing epidemic-like insanity of instantaneous outrage .

It is tearing the fabric of us in the U.S., if not the world, apart. For what gain? What real gain?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:52 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
If these allegations are true, they should preclude his serving as AG. And yes, Dem honchos AND many Dem voters wouldn't care--they generally circle the wagon.

However, where was this woman when Ellison was a congressman ?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:57 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Now there is an interesting question.

I can't image him not knowing about it and knowing that the day would come when this would all be revealed to the public.
There is of course a double standard. If he knew he probably didn't think it was a big deal because he may have been with an older woman when he was a teenager, an experience not so rare it seems. I guess it is a thing, I don't get it from the woman's perspective. But I could see an older man, even a liberal one, not thinking this is really a #metoo.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
I don't think anyone is surprised. Heck, didn't we all watch that movie with Demi Moore.

#metoo happens in all directions...old to young, young to old, all 27 genders (thanks, Sasha!), etc.

She (OP woman) is as stupid as Trump and Trump voters - that is, preaching morality, ethics, honesty in government, lower debts and deficits when they are complicit in the opposite.....

At the minimum, any "movements" (other than of the bowel type) should make 100% certain their leaders are pure as the driven snow. Of course, that's tough in an era when the Church is most likely to abuse your children (other than your own family members)....

No, it doesn't change anything about Trump. He's a cheatin and lying sack of chit. A puzzy grabber and probably much worse...and, to be elected by the "Self-Righteous Moral Majority" is just as strange as it always was.

But whatabout???

The problem with deniers of anything is that they don't know how to count. That is, I think most sane people know that women get hit on 100X as much as men and are probably likely to be the targets of sexual abuse (or lesser crime) at a rate far exceeding any other demographic.

Stuff like that does matter.

I mean - c'mon. What 17 year old Red Blooded American Man wouldn't.....well, we don't go there!

Note - this "liberal" has always known that #meetoo and all the other stuff ends up going too far. That's the nature of such things. I can only thank the lord that I was raised at a time when I could just walk up to my 16 and 17 yo counterparts and ask outright! If they said no, we laughed and talked about other things. I finally scored and I am still married to her 45 years later. No cheating either...although I never use that as a point of self-righteousness because I truly believe that it could have happened and that anyone is subject to the same thing. Anyone. Everyone.

But...I do have a bit of self-discipline. Just a little...probably more than the average...cheater.

BTW, in the arena of #metooo - when I was 14 a guy who picked me up hitchhiking tried to grab my crotch.
When I was 16 I was put in Juvy for a night for pot...threatened with forced anal sex (yes, that is what happens in most jails and in juvyy...just FYI for all you law and order types)...luckily, the guard responded to my pleas and put me in a lone cell.

An interesting aside to all of that is that it turned out my Dad had told the cops to leave me overnight (he could have taken me home that evening...as he was called and knew).....so, can you imagine if I would have been raped and worse because my dad wanted to teach me a little lesson about pot.

My entire life would have been changed. I love my Dad...but this is an example of how things are very different than what we might imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies