Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 07:34 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times

Advertisements

Finally got around to seeing the movie. I was expecting a Republican friendly attack on Ted Kennedy's character. But it was actually pretty good. It deals mainly with damage control: what they got right, what they got wrong. I believe it is worth watching for politicians and their staff of both parties, as well as big business executives. You know these events will happen, and how you respond makes all the difference.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:57 AM

21,906 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Surprised how little discussion this got. My husband hadn't seen it. I had. So we started watching it again.

My Iuestions are

1) How as Kennedy able to escape the car and she wasn't?
2) How did he not get a manslaughter charge since he clearly left her and didn't report it? (I know, he's a Kennedy, of course)
3) How did they turn him into some hero in the Democrat party?
4) Can you imagine if this happened to Trump? Or rather, CAUSED by Trump?

How anyone can ignore the double standard for Democrats is beyond my comprehension.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:36 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Surprised how little discussion this got. My husband hadn't seen it. I had. So we started watching it again.

My Iuestions are

1) How as Kennedy able to escape the car and she wasn't?
2) How did he not get a manslaughter charge since he clearly left her and didn't report it? (I know, he's a Kennedy, of course)
3) How did they turn him into some hero in the Democrat party?
4) Can you imagine if this happened to Trump? Or rather, CAUSED by Trump?

How anyone can ignore the double standard for Democrats is beyond my comprehension.

When this happened it was 1969 and it was a different time in America but the double standards were certainly on display.

The biggest crime with this accident was the cover up and how Kennedy was celebrated over the following decades as the Lion of the Senate.
It is crazy what the Dems are willing to forgive and forget but you are right, if this was Trump or any other prominent Rep they would have paid the price for what they did.

The car went over the edge of the bridge because he was drunk. I have been out to Chappie and driven over that same bridge about 20 years ago and it was a desolate place then so even more so in 1969. It is all dirt roads, no street lights and the bridge is narrow. Add in being drunk and it is a deadly combination. Imagine if Mary Jo Kopechne had survived and Kennedy did not? Life can be so unfair sometimes.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:15 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
She was reported to have been pregnant. Mary Jo was Ted Kennedy's Secretary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies