Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 03:07 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
I would hope the difference in the wages would go to partially offset the cost of running the prison.
The work that a lot of inmates do is what goes to offset part of the cost of running the prison. They can do woodworking and sell it at a store, they can do auto repair, they grow gardens that helps feed themselves, and then you have the dishwashers, food preparers, cleaners, groundskeepers, etc. That eliminates the need for any outside help to come in and maintain the...compound, I'll call it.

The fact is, jobs are not for everyone who goes into prison. Jobs have to be earned. They are highly coveted. As someone said, all these people have is time, and most of them decide to work because they have nothing else to do. Yes, they can earn a little bit of money, but it's not a right in the prison system. It's a privilege based on good behavior.

These tools who want to protest are going to find that not only will they not get their higher wages, they will probably lose their jobs and those jobs will be given to other prisoners.

No one in prison "deserves" a job or minimum wage or higher. Not. A. One.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 06:38 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Quite surprised by the harshness of the responses in this thread. I thought I was one of the few prison "hawks" around.

Prison is meant, in my book, to be prison. You get locked up. All day; every day. In a cell. It has a metal sink. A metal john. And a metal bed with possibly a thin mattress. Chances are you will die of insanity, disease or assault if you are in for any period longer than a year or two.

That ought to be a deterrent. Prison should be a deterrent. Either way you will no longer be a threat to society.
Other countries have a brtter system though.You confine someone like an animal, your gonna get someone worst off than when they went in. And thats why we have such a huge recidivism rate.

Other countries, prisoners are still locked up but its made to keep them from society, but also give them something to do and possibly expand their minds and leave prison with a better perspective and a better person.

Someone goes in a gang member, they’re exposed to something they never had before, like music or something, they have a different outlet to channel their anger and see theirs something greater than the life they were leading.

Even lifers can benefit which in turn benefits the prison/gaurds/and society when inmates are released.

Becomes less of a hellhole and more of a place where people are punished by being isolated but actually could learn a lesson and leave better people.

How has the most powerful nation on earth not figure that out yet? Well then theres the prison industrial complex.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They are in prison. Cut out all the benefits. No TV, exercise yards and equipment, if they want to eat, they work.

Stop coddling these convicts. Make prison a hell they never want to go back to.
Do you know how easy it is to be arrested in this police state. They are not the enemy, the people butchering children are.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Prison jobs should at least pay the federal minimum wage but like you said no one cares because they are prisoners.
I'd be OK with that if we then charged them for the cost of their incarceration. Seems like I read $75k a year. Apply that as a debt they owe when released from prison-with their wages deducted from that.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:46 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Do you know how easy it is to be arrested in this police state. They are not the enemy, the people butchering children are.
Damn near impossible to get sentenced to prison, without multiple arrests and convictions-or a particularly vile crime. Even then it's rare enough-and far too often scumbags are released on parole after minimal sentences.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...al/1045008002/

Good strategy, surely we have liberals out there who will fall for this strike and demand minimal wage salaries for convicted felons from their elected representatives.
They should get minimum wage for their work.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
I think every prisoner should be enlisted in the U.S. military. You won't have discipline problems since the the military will simply put you in an unsurvivable situation if you prove troublesome. Minor infractions are dealt with via things that you could never get away with for prisoners--being kept awake for 4-7 days at a time, physical "training" that would be considered torture, that type of thing.

These prisoners will quickly find out how bad life can be: having absolutely no rights (legal, civil, or human), having what little money you are paid extorted from you for your superior's slush fund, working ultra-stressful 18 to 20 hour days for months at a time because of understaffing, having absolutely NO days off (no weekends or holidays or anything) for either of the two 105-day underwater submarine patrols per year, finding out that what the military promised you is a joke but what you promised the military is signed in blood (and infinitely worse than you were told), etc.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:59 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
They're just criminals demanding they be treated the same as law abiding citizens. If they didn't want to be making twenty cents an hour then they shouldn't have broken the law.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:42 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Sounds like a good incentive to not commit crime.

If people don’t like the drug laws in this country, don’t break the law, or move.
Thats not the American way, the drug laws are unconstitutional. As American citizens, if our Govt creates unconstitutional laws, we are REQUIRED to disobey/ NOT comply.

Our nation was founded basically due to a violent overthrow of a sitting govt, if they didnt win that war, all the patriots we celebrate as patriots today, would have went down in history as terrorists, traitors, criminals instead....something to think about!

Old 08-22-2018, 03:20 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
My understanding is they do simple jobs like printing license plates, sanitation work, tutor, barbershop, laundry, admin work, food prep, etc. obviously only for the very good prisoners.

Their demands are nonetheless hilarious. Imagine prisoners in Mexico, Brazil, Russia, or China asking for higher wages
I would have thought sometype of work would get them out of their cells and would be a positive thing, plus from my understanding many are paid for some types of work.

They don't have to work, they can sit in their cells for 23 hours a day if they so wish, it's entirely up to them and it's hardly slavery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Some prisoners train dogs. Some prisoners are helping to fight the California wildfires.
If I was a priosoner I would jump at the opportunity to do those type of things, as both sound much better than sitting in a prison cell, and such trusted jobs would also look good on any parole application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies