Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were alive in 1865, would you be in favor of giving reparations?
Yes 44 50.00%
No 44 50.00%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 04:30 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Ridiculous poll. People didn’t think that way in 1865.
Where do you think the phrase "40 acres and a mule" came from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 04:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ok......so how do you determine, after 200 years, which black people are or aren't descended from slaves?

If a black persons ancestors came here after slavery was ended, do they still get the moolah?

What if they are descended from black slave owners?
Would they have to pay other blacks reparations along with the white folks?

What if they're only half black?
Does that cancel out the whole deal for them?
Or does the one drop rule apply and can us white folks get a DNA test to see if we have a black ancestor someplace in our linage so we can get in on the action too?

Stupid questions?

Maybe.......but then again, it's a stupid topic.
I always think its hilarious that people ask the bold.

You do some genealogical research...duh....

Any black person who has a direct ancestor on the 1870 census is 90% of the time a descendant of slaves.

Any black person alive in the 19th century and even the majority of the 10,000 black slave owners were discriminated against and treated in an oppressive fashion. Many black slave owners had been slaves themselves or their parents/grandparents were slave BTW. This stuff is not hard to trace. But the OP was about if you were in 1865.

On the one drop rule, I'd think it be interesting to see how many whites claim to be black if a reparations program was dependent upon proving lineage of an enslaved person. FWIW Obama's mother is a descendant of John Punch, the first legally recognized slave in America. A lot of white people have an enslaved ancestor way back. I personally wouldn't mind them getting reparations either lol. I'd be happy that they'd learn more about the black American experience and black culture by researching and documenting their ancestry.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:15 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
So I've done a good bit of threads concerning reparations, some with polls. One of the responses I often get back is "There is nobody alive who have been slaves. So why give reparations today?" This argument against reparations isn't a very strong one. However after hearing it so much, it did have me wondering. If you were alive back in 1865, would you be in favor in giving the newly freed slaves 40 acres and mule?

I asked this question to a Youtube commentator a month ago. I wasn't totally surprised by the answer I received, but it had me shaking my head, confirming the mindset of people when it truly comes to this issue.
I support reparations both in 1865 and right now. I honestly think that paying reparations to people who were oppressed or whose ancestors were oppressed is better than engaging in things such as affirmative action. My issue with affirmative action is that I want the most competent people to be in charge of doing various things; for instance, if I will ever need heart surgery, I certainly wouldn't want some affirmative action doctor to be performing my surgery! Rather, I'd want the most competent person possible to do this!

Reparations are a good way to compensate people who were oppressed or whose ancestors were oppressed for this oppression, though. In turn, this is why I support reparations--whether in 1865, 1965, or right now.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:28 PM

1,227 posts, read 633,459 times
Would we be better off today if we started the Great Society 100 years earlier?

Old 08-23-2018, 09:47 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
I'd say "reparations" have been going on since LBJ's great war on poverty began, and continues to this day. And of course, Affirmative Action is just another form of the same thing.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:47 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I'd say "reparations" have been going on since LBJ's great war on poverty began, and continues to this day. And of course, Affirmative Action is just another form of the same thing.
When LBJ first started Affirmative Action, it actually helped black Americans DOS. However, democrats began including everyone into the program over time, taking spots away. You could even fill the AA spots with African immigrants, who don't have the legacy of slavery, replacing us altogether.

We need to stop this ridiculous idea of Affirmative Action as being reparations. It's not true in the slightest just for the mere fact that everyone who weren't white males got it. White women are the number one beneficiary of AA, yet ironically they are also one of the main opponents to it. So again, it can't be reparations if everyone takes from it. Everyone are not DOS.

Last edited by Heavenese; 08-24-2018 at 03:57 AM..

Old 08-24-2018, 04:16 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
I think all slave owners should have had their land confiscated and their slaves given shares of that land. That could have easily be done after the civil war.

From my understanding of American history, slave owners were a small percentage of the pie but at the same time owned a lot of land. This kind of redistribution scheme I would be in favor of. Poor white southerners who fought would be left alone - they're a victim of their own gullibility and nothing more.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:01 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The question was about how you would have felt immediately after the Civil War.

Fail #1 - reading comprehension.

The Civil War ended in 1865.

Fails #2 and #3 - history and math. That little two-fer is pretty impressive. Well done, Bob. Well done.

Fail #1.

No Black person alive today was alive right after the Civil War and neither is any white slave owners. So failure on your part to recognize that what I'm getting at is that the whole idea of reperations is flat out ridiculous.

Fail #2

I wasn't trying to be exact with the math, It was an approximation to the days of slavery. So fail on your part to recognize that.

Fail #3

On your part to actually answer anything in my post but rather to delflect to mathematcal generalzations.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:05 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I always think its hilarious that people ask the bold.

You do some genealogical research...duh....

Any black person who has a direct ancestor on the 1870 census is 90% of the time a descendant of slaves.

Any black person alive in the 19th century and even the majority of the 10,000 black slave owners were discriminated against and treated in an oppressive fashion. Many black slave owners had been slaves themselves or their parents/grandparents were slave BTW. This stuff is not hard to trace. But the OP was about if you were in 1865.

On the one drop rule, I'd think it be interesting to see how many whites claim to be black if a reparations program was dependent upon proving lineage of an enslaved person. FWIW Obama's mother is a descendant of John Punch, the first legally recognized slave in America. A lot of white people have an enslaved ancestor way back. I personally wouldn't mind them getting reparations either lol. I'd be happy that they'd learn more about the black American experience and black culture by researching and documenting their ancestry.

So you want to do a DNA test on every non lilly white person in America to see if they're decsended from slaves or not so you can force everyone else to give them money over something that was done to and by people who are long dead?

Brilliant!

Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
So I've done a good bit of threads concerning reparations, some with polls. One of the responses I often get back is "There is nobody alive who have been slaves. So why give reparations today?" This argument against reparations isn't a very strong one. However after hearing it so much, it did have me wondering. If you were alive back in 1865, would you be in favor in giving the newly freed slaves 40 acres and mule?

I asked this question to a Youtube commentator a month ago. I wasn't totally surprised by the answer I received, but it had me shaking my head, confirming the mindset of people when it truly comes to this issue.
I don't dwell in the past, especially in the past from before my great great grandparents lived. So, the fact that you're still focused on this issue tells me you have an agenda that you're trying to push forward in today's times. Would you mind sharing with us what that agenda is, and why you use reparations as your vehicle to drive towards that agenda's goal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies