Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:15 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,887,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I never said people who work and make things shouldn't be properly compensated for their labors. I said currency sovereigns do not need to tax to pay for things.
Which is what I commented on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 02:22 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,044,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Also, a currency sovereign does not need to tax to pay for things.

Of course they do. Taxes are the only means of generating revenues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A 12 pack of cloth diapers would last one day before you had to go to the laundromat, and if you don't use a diaper covering the pee will be all over the crib and your lap.

They can use the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, basement sink, bathtub or a wash basin or a bucket.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:24 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,887,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Of course they do. Taxes are the only means of generating revenues.
Did the Fed use taxes to purchase all the bad debt off the banks?

Old 08-24-2018, 02:28 PM

51,587 posts, read 25,515,803 times
100 diapers, pins, waterproof diaper covers, diaper pail -- $100 or so.

Lots of families use cloth diapers, have for ages. There are even fancy ones with snaps and snappy covers these days.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

They can use the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, basement sink, bathtub or a wash basin or a bucket.
One of my friends used plastic buckets in the bathtub. She'd rinse the diapers out and then drop them in a bucket with the soapy water. If her children had "accidents" she would rinse out their things and drop them in as well.

After she bathed the kids at night, she'd wring out the bucket of diapers, panties, and pjs, rinse them in a tub of clean water, hand wring them and throw them in one of the buckets with clean water, empty the tub, wring out the diapers, etc., then hang everything up to dry on one of those foldable wooden dryers in her tub.

It was a bit of a process, but the little kids liked to help her with it. And the next morning, she had dry diapers and pjs.

She had a washer, but she only used it for weekly washings. She hung everything on the line when she could.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:34 PM

19,466 posts, read 9,015,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
One of my friends used plastic buckets in the bathtub. She'd rinse the diapers out and then drop them in a bucket with the soapy water. If her children had "accidents" she would rinse out their things and drop them in as well.

After she bathed the kids at night, she'd wring out the bucket of diapers, panties, and pjs, rinse them in a tub of clean water, hand wring them and throw them in one of the buckets with clean water, empty the tub, wring out the diapers, etc., then hang everything up to dry on one of those foldable wooden dryers in her tub.

It was a bit of a process, but the little kids liked to help her with it. And the next morning, she had dry diapers and pjs.

She had a washer, but she only used it for weekly washings. She hung everything on the line when she could.
People forget that the automatic washers were not invented until 1937 -- less than 100 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing_machine

(And, no, I am not suggesting we go back to the 19th century, but I am just saying that people did get by without automatic washers, dishwashers, etc. for thousands of years -- and, yes, I realize that they might not have been as clean -- but I am just saying that people DID survive before electricity was invented.)

Old 08-24-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
People forget that the automatic washers were not invented until 1937 -- less than 100 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing_machine

(And, no, I am not suggesting we go back to the 19th century, but I am just saying that people did get by without automatic washers, dishwashers, etc. for thousands of years -- and, yes, I realize that they might not have been as clean -- but I am just saying that people DID survive before electricity was invented.)
I grew up with a wringer washer and clothes hanging on lines in the basement in the winter and outside int the summer.

My friend who did her diapers in the tub every night, did it to save money. It was her contention that the dryers used up a lot of electricity. When the kids were older, I can remember seeing blue jeans slung over the tops of all the doors in the house, drying.

She and her husband raised a houseful of kids, had a garden, were active in their church, ... and still washed her diapers out in the tub every night, or at least every other night. For years.

I used my washer. I wasn't quite that dedicated to saving money.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:43 PM

27,539 posts, read 15,954,767 times
But cigarettes and alcohol.... no problem

Old 08-24-2018, 05:14 PM

42,743 posts, read 25,909,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Now we are arguing about diapers. I'm fine with providing a layette with a $100 worth of cloth diapers. Seems a small enough investment in our next generation.
Providing a couple years worth of disposable diapers? Not so much.
But..those cloth diapers aren't very cheap when you have to go to a coin operated laundry every day to wash and dry them. In apartment complex coin ops, $3-$4 per load is standard around here. That can eat up the money saved with cloth diapers pretty fast.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:22 PM

88,552 posts, read 44,283,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But..those cloth diapers aren't very cheap when you have to go to a coin operated laundry every day to wash and dry them. In apartment complex coin ops, $3-$4 per load is standard around here. That can eat up the money saved with cloth diapers pretty fast.
They were $2/load 35 years ago. At least that's what I had to pay until we bought a house and had our own machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies