Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 07:41 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times

Advertisements

First of all, I'm a gay man married to another gay man. Honest question. This is not a bait thread or whatever you call it.

I'm sure I am not the only one who have observed that trans people tend to get incredibly offended if misidentified. I guess I don't understand it because I get mistaken for a straight guy all the time and I don't care. I have never met another gay person who cared if they got misidentified as straight.

Also, I'm sure I am not the only one who has met a trans person who did not at all make an effort to look like the gender they identified with. I have met several, actually. Talks like a man. Wears all mens clothes. Does not shave. Does not properly groom hair. And yet get very offended when referred to as "he".

Like I said, I'm just trying to understand.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-22-2018 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: You do not get to restrict who participates in a thread, especially in an inflammatory manner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 07:46 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times
OP...they are in a bad mood.

The gay guys don't like em, the straight guys don't like em. Only the guys that like trans fetish likes em. (generally speaking) And the pickings are a lot slimmer for a trans finding love.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:56 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
I've never actually seen a transgendered individual who dresses obviously like their biological gender and not expect to be referred to as the gender they appear. Certainly wouldn't recognize them as transgendered.... I would surmise they would get misidentified A LOT and be constantly offended while simply living out their day in public.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:58 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Perhaps asking trans people instead of straight people would yield better answers? What you'll get here is why straight people think trans people get offended.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Why does anyone get offended?

I'd think you'd just naturally be knowledgeable about the fact that every trans person doesn't get overly offended about pronouns. I do have some trans friends. Have known them for years and they don't get easily offended at all by pronouns.

There are a lot of negative stereotypes and thoughts about people who are trans, same as there are about people who are gay. As someone who is a part of the LGBT community, I'd hope that you'd be less likely to believe in generalizations of people within your own community and not think that all or a significant amounts of trans people are more "offended" than other non-trans persons.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddydogs View Post
Stop using pronouns or calling people sir or mam and the problem is solved.
But proper English does not have gender neutral singular pronoun. "They" is plural.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:10 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
First of all, I'm a gay man married to another gay man. Honest question. This is not a bait thread or whatever you call it.

I'm sure I am not the only one who have observed that trans people tend to get incredibly offended if misidentified. I guess I don't understand it because I get mistaken for a straight guy all the time and I don't care. I have never met another gay person who cared if they got misidentified as straight.

Also, I'm sure I am not the only one who has met a trans person who did not at all make an effort to look like the gender they identified with. I have met several, actually. Talks like a man. Wears all mens clothes. Does not shave. Does not properly groom hair. And yet get very offended when referred to as "he".

Many gay men are naturally effeminate. They want to appear more manly since other gay men are attracted to manliness. Why would a gay man be offended if people thought he had had accomplished the goal of being manly and appeared straight?

Old 08-22-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Why does anyone get offended?

I'd think you'd just naturally be knowledgeable about the fact that every trans person doesn't get overly offended about pronouns. I do have some trans friends. Have known them for years and they don't get easily offended at all by pronouns.

There are a lot of negative stereotypes and thoughts about people who are trans, same as there are about people who are gay. As someone who is a part of the LGBT community, I'd hope that you'd be less likely to believe in generalizations of people within your own community and not think that all or a significant amounts of trans people are more "offended" than other non-trans persons.
Oh come on. Be fair. At no point did I say all or a significant amounts.

I am quite involved with the lgbt community. In three different states so far. I have never met a lesbian, gay, or bi person that got anywhere near offended when misidentified. I have met plenty of trans people who don't look like the gender they identify with and get really offended when misidentified.

You can simply dismiss my observation as stereotyping to be politically correct. I do think the political correctness engine these days prevent us from having constructive conversations.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
We wouldn't know. Why don't you ask TG people?

Old 08-22-2018, 08:22 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

Only a transgender person could truly answer your question. It's just speculation by anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies