Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
A.) This is not about Bernie

B.) What do you mean So What, it's a fact that reflects the failure of state capitalism, a model you yourself promote.
You posted a tweet by Bernie and then say it's not about Bernie.

If you didn't want anyone talking about Bernie, you should have presented the argument without mentioning Bernie...who made the statement.

My response stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
He's not a Marxist.

Also, welfare/government spending doesn't have to do with the principles of Marxism. In reality our country has never practiced Marxism.
So is Bernie going to peddle his latest book on Amazon or not?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

If you didn't want anyone talking about Bernie, you should have presented the argument without mentioning Bernie...who made the statement.

My response stands.
Exactly.

Bernie's books are big on Amazon. His main source of income isn't his Senate salary...it's royalties from book sells.

Bezos is the pimp. Bernie's the prostitute.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:58 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Exactly.

Bernie's books are big on Amazon. His main source of income isn't his Senate salary...it's royalties from book sells.

Bezos is the pimp. Bernie's the prostitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So is Bernie going to peddle his latest book on Amazon or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

My response stands.

The OP was about what Bernie said and why the reaction was so negative. Bernie is a capitalist (social democrat) and I don't agree with all his practices, but on this issue he is right.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
1. I don't think highly of presidents either

2. You forget their (his) end goal, they work hard to control capital so production/profit can be maximized. In the long term that never benefits society or the workers since they are a means to an end rather than part of the actual structure of the company. Democratically handled management without profit based motives are the way to go, sadly people who control capital are always though to be the ones who maintain or economy when in actuality they hold us back via an authoritarian economic structure where those who don't own capital have no say in production.
I highly suggest you start an empire and be the beacon for the rest of the country by running it exactly as you describe.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:02 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I highly suggest you start an empire and be the beacon for the rest of the country by running it exactly as you describe.
It's been done in Catalonia to amazing results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_Catalonia

Besides, worker cooperatives, despite being structured under a profit base system, are still mutual community run voluntary work places in places around Cleveland where both the state and the private industry have abandoned them.

It is the only moral direction for a free society to head.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:04 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/st...69466052538368

Just think, Bezos makes many times more than the average worker yet does not produce as much as they do. He should be paid less by the rules of input/output but because he controls the distribution of cash he makes the most.

Corporate CEOs generally lack basic trade skills that are needed to keep a society functioning and moral in nature, instead they are skilled at winning state subsidies, cutting financial costs that don't directly benefit their bottom line, and outsourcing production AND marketing. This is why when Obama or Trump selects one of them to help the US economy, they fail, because they have no real skills.

These concepts are basic yet everyone criticizes Bernie on this one tweet, why?

The people who are criticizing Bernie think they too will one day become billionaires and don't want to be taxed when they become one either.

There are no poor people in America, only temporarily displaced millionaires and billionaires.

I have also learned that all of America's approx 450 billionaires post on city-data on the regular.

We will be hearing from them very shortly. Trust me. Then the thread devolves into "taxation is theft" "unions are bad" and "Govt employees are paid 5x the private sector wage" Perhaps as a bonus we'll get "medical care is not a human right/why should I pay for a poor persons diabetes" and we have the Libertarian trifecta + 1.

Grab some popcorn and a coke and enjoy the show.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
The OP was about what Bernie said and why the reaction was so negative. Bernie is a capitalist (social democrat) and I don't agree with all his practices, but on this issue he is right.
I forgot I was arguing with someone who thinks Bernie's a capitalist.

Time to jettison the thread.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:37 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
I am.

Furthermore I meant he had no (to my knowledge) skills in needs based production/services. These are things that keep a society health and running.

Managing capital is easy when you have tools at your disposal such as bribing state government for subsidies and outsourcing marketing, etc. to somewhere else.

Regardless, the company you see today is not run by Bezos, but by the workers in total, managing capital is only a worthwhile skill to those who value profit, not needs based production.

Tell me, do you really believe, even in the context of Amazon, that Bezos produces hundreds of times more than the average amazon worker per hour. Personally I would guess he has done none himself.
Bezos had the concept, skills and initiative to start and advance an internet based retail company. He did it better than others. The majority of the workers at the company do not have either that drive or ability. They couldn't have created that business, nor do many have the skills to start any kind of business. As such, Bezos has made it possible for many thousands of people, who otherwise could not provide for themselves, to make a good, solid living. That is the value of capitalism. The people "at the bottom" with the lowest skills and abilities, who otherwise would not be able to provide for themselves, gain from all those above them that started and built the company.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:38 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
I am.

Furthermore I meant he had no (to my knowledge) skills in needs based production/services. These are things that keep a society health and running.

Managing capital is easy when you have tools at your disposal such as bribing state government for subsidies and outsourcing marketing, etc. to somewhere else.

Regardless, the company you see today is not run by Bezos, but by the workers in total, managing capital is only a worthwhile skill to those who value profit, not needs based production.

Tell me, do you really believe, even in the context of Amazon, that Bezos produces hundreds of times more than the average amazon worker per hour. Personally I would guess he has done none himself.
Bezos had the concept, skills and initiative to start and advance an internet based retail company. He did it better than others. The majority of the workers at the company do not have either that drive or ability. They couldn't have created that business, nor do many have the skills to start any kind of business. As such, Bezos has made it possible for many thousands of people, who otherwise could not provide for themselves, to make a good, solid living. That is the value of capitalism. The people "at the bottom" with the lowest skills and abilities, who otherwise would not be able to provide for themselves, gain from all those above them that started and built the company, and whose skills and drive make the company possible. The entry level guy whose only contribution is taking a product off a shelf and putting it in a box, gains immeasurably from the developments of those that wrote the Amazon software, negotiated with the multitude of suppliers, built the warehouse, developed the software and tools that tell this person where to get the item and where to put it-all things they could not have done on their own.

The person at the top, the Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk's of the world can survive without those barely able to put a widget in a box. The person who's skills go no further than that could not survive without a Musk, Bezos or someone else to provide them that opportunity.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 08-22-2018 at 10:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies